Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville 27 Kentucky 13
Personally on 2nd and 3rd and short I'd love to be able to just run the ball and move the chains. Not going to happen right now.

And I agree about the velocity of the throws. But with a bad shoulder and not the greatest arm strength any way that's not going to happen.
FBALL Wrote:Personally on 2nd and 3rd and short I'd love to be able to just run the ball and move the chains. Not going to happen right now.

And I agree about the velocity of the throws. But with a bad shoulder and not the greatest arm strength any way that's not going to happen.

I agree with you here and we do need a physical presence in the backfield that is a guaranteed 2-3 yards, but we also need a line that can give us a push when the defense is loading the box knowing it's a run situation.
I'm done watching whitlow. When he came in the game I looked at my buddy and said I'm scared cause he is throwing the football this play. Surely enough it was an int in the the endzone that if he throws it to the back pylon it is a td or an incompletion. You cannot under throw that ball under any circumstances. He would be a great wildcat/ receiver much like Randall Cobb. Just doesn't have the arm strength,poise,or accuracy to be a QB for 4 quarters.
UK has some nice players. Defensive line is pretty decent. I expected this type of game at Commonwealth. I remember 2007 when U of L was favored....typical rival game. Purdue...who is terrible, played Notre Dame tough. Rival games you throw out the records. As for Bridgewater....the guy is a warrior. Period. He threw the ball efficiently. It's the most pressure he has seen so far this season. He probably won't win the Heisman...but he is in the conversation. U of L has had a long line of great quarterbacks. He has a lot going against him with the schedule. I have watched UK football for over forty years. I have heard the same ole..same ole. It just isn't going to happen. UK will be very competitive if Stoops can keep the recruiting going. But UK will never be a consistently eight..nine win team. They will have some big upsets. They will compete. But the Alabamas, LSU, Georgia, South Carolinas, Floridas, Texas A & M, Tennessees, will always be the big boys. Football to them is like basketball is to UK. Is U of L overrated? I think so. But the Cards are a team that can beat you too. I thought being on the road in our rivals environment and UK desperate to make a statement would make it a decent game. Strong is an SEC guy and he brings his SEC philosophy with him. You have to be able to run the ball to win a NC. Louisville was able to establish that in the second half. Alabama right now looks to be very deserving of number one.
Smith missed plenty of wide open receivers. But they wouldn't have caught it anyways .
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I'm not sure what game you two were watching, but Max Smith missed on just as many passes (maybe more) than passes we had dropped by receivers. Including what could have been a pick six on his first or second pass attempt if Montgomery didn't make the transition to DB and rip it away from the Corner. I'm not arguing the fumble by Whitlow, you must protect the ball at all times. Whitlow is dangerous as a read option type QB or as a Wildcat package type guy. I think he should get 10-15 touches a game, but from a variety of places (QB and WR). But more importantly than that, there wasn't a 2nd and short or 3rd and short that our backs didn't get hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield. O-line is missing assignments or just getting whipped. I knew that would be our biggest weakness but as of right now we don't have a Sun Belt quality O-line. After breaking down the film this morning of the game it was poor play all around by the offense from QB missing receivers, RB's running uninspired, WR's dropping balls and O-line missing assignments.

The Good- defensive schemes switching from 4-3 and shutting down the run to going to a 3-4 and getting after bridgewater on expected passing downs was very effective. D-line looked much better, LB play was improved as well as DB play (but still worries me).

The young guys are impressing with every opportunity they get and should be big time playmakers during their career.

Find a QB and stick with him or you have Joker all over again.
If Smith is that guy, dont put Whitlow in. Its obvious Whitlow isnt that guy so dont put him in. If Towles looks to have a brighter future than both, play the kid and forget these other two.
Were not going to accomplish anything by playing multiple QB's. Its that simple.
I agree with the rivalry aspect. Cats really put the effort in. Vegas had it about right. I think it was 12 and a half was about right. Cards beat the spread but that was about it. Teddy B. definitely didn't have his A game going. Missed badly when receivers were wide open. Cats should be happy with three wins. Cards should be happy with BCS bowl, but not the championship game.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:UK has some nice players. Defensive line is pretty decent. I expected this type of game at Commonwealth. I remember 2007 when U of L was favored....typical rival game. Purdue...who is terrible, played Notre Dame tough. Rival games you throw out the records. As for Bridgewater....the guy is a warrior. Period. He threw the ball efficiently. It's the most pressure he has seen so far this season. He probably won't win the Heisman...but he is in the conversation. U of L has had a long line of great quarterbacks. He has a lot going against him with the schedule. I have watched UK football for over forty years. I have heard the same ole..same ole. It just isn't going to happen. UK will be very competitive if Stoops can keep the recruiting going. But UK will never be a consistently eight..nine win team. They will have some big upsets. They will compete. But the Alabamas, LSU, Georgia, South Carolinas, Floridas, Texas A & M, Tennessees, will always be the big boys. Football to them is like basketball is to UK. Is U of L overrated? I think so. But the Cards are a team that can beat you too. I thought being on the road in our rivals environment and UK desperate to make a statement would make it a decent game. Strong is an SEC guy and he brings his SEC philosophy with him. You have to be able to run the ball to win a NC. Louisville was able to establish that in the second half. Alabama right now looks to be very deserving of number one.
All traditions and powerhouses start somewhere Florida was an also ran in basketball before Billy Donovan. Also Miami is considered a college blue blood in football but really they are new school only being good the last 30 years. Why can't stoops have a Billy Donovan effect on the football program at UK? Also at one point in time ohio state was considered a baskettball school. Then woody Hayes showed up. Point is things change and past history really means very little.
Louisville plays the weakest schedule of any other team in the top 25. I'm a UK fan and we are heading in the right direction but no loss is acceptable to me. UL is overated!
It isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. Same ole..same ole...been hearing this stuff for many years. Kentucky isn't Florida. Or Ohio. I've heard this when they brought in every coach for the last thirty years. Curry, Claiborne, Mumme, Morris, Papaw, Joker etc. The 1977 team was real good. 10-1...but then they got caught cheating. I thought Curci might get something done. You want to know where Kentucky missed their chance to be a big factor in the SEC? Read the book...The Thin Thirty..it explains it all. Firing Blanton Collier was the second dumbest think UK did....the first is letting Bear Bryant get away. Again, as for the U of L schedule...the fans, the country understand it's a weak schedule. But there wasn't much that could be done with the move to the ACC. And not very many big boys want to play U of L right now anyway. It is what it is. U of L is a little overrated....but they are still pretty good. If you are an objective college football fan.
Apparently you aren't around the same UL fans I am! :Thumbs:
Loserville is more than a little overrated.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:It isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. Same ole..same ole...been hearing this stuff for many years. Kentucky isn't Florida. Or Ohio. I've heard this when they brought in every coach for the last thirty years. Curry, Claiborne, Mumme, Morris, Papaw, Joker etc. The 1977 team was real good. 10-1...but then they got caught cheating. I thought Curci might get something done. You want to know where Kentucky missed their chance to be a big factor in the SEC? Read the book...The Thin Thirty..it explains it all. Firing Blanton Collier was the second dumbest think UK did....the first is letting Bear Bryant get away. Again, as for the U of L schedule...the fans, the country understand it's a weak schedule. But there wasn't much that could be done with the move to the ACC. And not very many big boys want to play U of L right now anyway. It is what it is. U of L is a little overrated....but they are still pretty good. If you are an objective college football fan.
Correct about the big boys. Just ask Florida.
I am tired of watching the old players we have make the same mistakes again this year. We are not going to win many games, so I would pull Towles up and play all the younger players and build for the future. We have some really good young players and a year in the SEC under their belt would only make us better down the road.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:UK has some nice players. Defensive line is pretty decent. I expected this type of game at Commonwealth. I remember 2007 when U of L was favored....typical rival game. Purdue...who is terrible, played Notre Dame tough. Rival games you throw out the records. As for Bridgewater....the guy is a warrior. Period. He threw the ball efficiently. It's the most pressure he has seen so far this season. He probably won't win the Heisman...but he is in the conversation. U of L has had a long line of great quarterbacks. He has a lot going against him with the schedule. I have watched UK football for over forty years. I have heard the same ole..same ole. It just isn't going to happen. UK will be very competitive if Stoops can keep the recruiting going. But UK will never be a consistently eight..nine win team. They will have some big upsets. They will compete. But the Alabamas, LSU, Georgia, South Carolinas, Floridas, Texas A & M, Tennessees, will always be the big boys. Football to them is like basketball is to UK. Is U of L overrated? I think so. But the Cards are a team that can beat you too. I thought being on the road in our rivals environment and UK desperate to make a statement would make it a decent game. Strong is an SEC guy and he brings his SEC philosophy with him. You have to be able to run the ball to win a NC. Louisville was able to establish that in the second half. Alabama right now looks to be very deserving of number one.

South Carolina wasn't nothing in football until they hired Steve Spurrier, as a matter of fact it was Bill Arnsparger a man from Paris KY that hired Steve Spurrier at Florida, Kentucky had won more SEC titles in football than Florida at that point in time! My point is, all it takes to turn a program around is hiring the right coach at the right time! IMO coach Stoops is the perfect hire to turn the UK program around, his recruiting in the state of Ohio will have a major impact! He fills all the voids the UK coach's of the past had! Claiborne was a great defensive mind but he was too conservative on Offense. Bill Curry was simply "FOOLS GOLD" he had no idea what he was doing! Hal Mumme was a great Offensive mind, but could care less about D. Rich Brooks was a good all around coach but he couldn't recruit the depth and talent that it takes to win a SEC title. Joker was just that, a Joke and used political pull to get the UK job. IMO Stoops has the right plan, recruit Ohio, lock down the best recruits in Kentucky, steal recruits from other SEC states, build a defense, and throw the football!
Let me explain this to you one more time. You ain't Florida. You ain't South Carolina. I will say South Carolina on the whole was never as bad as UK has been in football in the last fifty years. It's the same ole..same ole. The same...this the coach....we are headed in the right direction..someday we are going to a power. Heard it for years. Not going to happen on a consistent basis. UK could have a great year. I wouldn't bet on it. They will be competitive and start winning some games. They will upset some of the powers. If the Cats can get back to six wins and a minor bowl game...the fans will be happy. UK fans never let basketball season end...and that doesn't help. Also..you have to hope history doesn't repeat itself. UK got caught cheating in '77, killed the momentum there...then the Mumme fiasco...derailed any progress there. When you mention Florida, South Carolina, Vandy, any of the other SEC schools..you must understand...they are in football country. Kentucky is not football country. Makes it a little tougher sell to football recruits as well.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Let me explain this to you one more time. You ain't Florida. You ain't South Carolina. I will say South Carolina on the whole was never as bad as UK has been in football in the last fifty years. It's the same ole..same ole. The same...this the coach....we are headed in the right direction..someday we are going to a power. Heard it for years. Not going to happen on a consistent basis. UK could have a great year. I wouldn't bet on it. They will be competitive and start winning some games. They will upset some of the powers. If the Cats can get back to six wins and a minor bowl game...the fans will be happy. UK fans never let basketball season end...and that doesn't help. Also..you have to hope history doesn't repeat itself. UK got caught cheating in '77, killed the momentum there...then the Mumme fiasco...derailed any progress there. When you mention Florida, South Carolina, Vandy, any of the other SEC schools..you must understand...they are in football country. Kentucky is not football country. Makes it a little tougher sell to football recruits as well.

:biglmao: Any credibility you ever had just went out the window. Confusedhh:
Stoops seems to be selling it to recruits.

Let Loserville settle for mediocrity because they are in a basketball state. Most have higher aspirations than that.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Let me explain this to you one more time. You ain't Florida. You ain't South Carolina. I will say South Carolina on the whole was never as bad as UK has been in football in the last fifty years. It's the same ole..same ole. The same...this the coach....we are headed in the right direction..someday we are going to a power. Heard it for years. Not going to happen on a consistent basis. UK could have a great year. I wouldn't bet on it. They will be competitive and start winning some games. They will upset some of the powers. If the Cats can get back to six wins and a minor bowl game...the fans will be happy. UK fans never let basketball season end...and that doesn't help. Also..you have to hope history doesn't repeat itself. UK got caught cheating in '77, killed the momentum there...then the Mumme fiasco...derailed any progress there. When you mention Florida, South Carolina, Vandy, any of the other SEC schools..you must understand...they are in football country. Kentucky is not football country. Makes it a little tougher sell to football recruits as well.

I think you have South Carolina football confused with Clemson! South Carolina didn't win its first bowl game until 1994! Kentucky won the Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl in the 50's! South Carolina has 1 conference championship and that was a ACC championship in 1996! Kentucky has won 2 SEC titles! Fran Curci was a good football coach, he got caught doing want every other SEC football school was doing! Curci did prove that UK can win big in the SEC in football!
SC won the ACC in 1969! 1996 WAS A TYPO
Let the doubters doubt. I'm happy to be a member of stoops troops.
LOL...the SEC championships in the stone age. The culture isn't going to change in Lexington. But hey....you can hope. And please don't use the excuse about SEC schools cheating. That's a lame excuse. They probably do...you cheat..don't get caught. UK will not outrecruit the southern states. Then basketball rolls around....Confusednicker:
The 50's? Whoa.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Find a QB and stick with him or you have Joker all over again.
If Smith is that guy, dont put Whitlow in. Its obvious Whitlow isnt that guy so dont put him in. If Towles looks to have a brighter future than both, play the kid and forget these other two.
Were not going to accomplish anything by playing multiple QB's. Its that simple.

I said I liked whitlow as a package type guy. I suppose you didn't like playing cobb in the Wildcat package either?
Fromthebleachers Wrote:LOL...the SEC championships in the stone age. The culture isn't going to change in Lexington. But hey....you can hope. And please don't use the excuse about SEC schools cheating. That's a lame excuse. They probably do...you cheat..don't get caught. UK will not outrecruit the southern states. Then basketball rolls around....Confusednicker:

Basketball rolls around and we are ranked #1!! Confusedhh: :1:
Poor Loserville. You have your best athletic year in history and you are still more concerned with what big brother down the road does.

Facts are facts. UK will always be the big dog in this state and Loserville the red headed step child.Confusednicker:
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I said I liked whitlow as a package type guy. I suppose you didn't like playing cobb in the Wildcat package either?

I liked playing Cobb in the Wildcat because it worked, it was new and it was fresh.

Thw wildcat sucks now. Teams know how to prepare and stop it and its useless. It was short lived and will never come back.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I said I liked whitlow as a package type guy. I suppose you didn't like playing cobb in the Wildcat package either?

Whitlow Is no Cobb.
insideinfo Wrote:Whitlow Is no Cobb.

This to.
I forgot to mention that theres a HUGE difference in Cobb and Whitblow.
FBALL Wrote:Poor Loserville. You have your best athletic year in history and you are still more concerned with what big brother down the road does.

Facts are facts. UK will always be the big dog in this state and Loserville the red headed step child.Confusednicker:

Really, just because delusional UK fans think so? LOL. I will take a year like the Cards just had anytime. Big sister hasn't done well lately...and LPT fans better enjoy this season because Emmert is talking change...meaning the one and doner's may be a thing of the past. Then Cal will have to really coach. And the great think about this year...Cal is still your coach. Gives everybody a chance.