Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 84 Harlan County 76 (13th Region Championship)
The impressive thing about McDaniel is that basketball is his second sport. McDaniel may be the top high school golfer in the state this fall. He has even won an AJGA event or two. AJGA is equivalent to the PGA tour for high school kids.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Hit and Run I agree with everything except the comment on not being a pure point. Just because you score as a point guard doesn't mean you're not a pure point. I'd love to see McDaniel's assist-turnover ratio for the tournament. With that being said, I give the MVP to Jarrod Rice. Clay doesn't get this title without that kid. Well done Tigers!

Had they given the MVP award before last night's game I would've agreed with you but with the performance that McDaniel turned in last night, he is hands down my choice. He did so much more than just score!
congrats to ClayCo. It takes a team effort to win a region and to beat a great team on their floor. Clay has alot of talent and young talent coming up. 21=25 are outstanding players and put them with McDaniels and that spells trouble for 13th region and state.
It was so good to see Bobby Keith at the game and was excited as anyone in the gym with the win. He is a Icon it the state and a great coach!
Good job by clay. Congrats to coach marcum! Will this be jones' last game at HC?

This black bear sr. Class had a heck of a run..... just could not get over the hump.
Congrats to the Clay Co. Tigers back in Rupp Arena!!!!

12 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mcdaniel is the best player in the 13th Region hands down!!!!
Good job by clay. Congrats to coach marcum! Will this be jones' last game at HC?

This black bear sr. Class had a heck of a run..... just could not get over the hump.
A friend of mine son played on the AJGA circuit in South FL and was very good at that level and went to FL State on a golf scholarship and played against several of today's PGA guys, he played against Kucar several times while he was at Ga Tech. So it is a big circuit of which to get to play.
Congrats Clay Co!!! Riding an impressive 15 game win streak. Keep it going for four more. Proud to have you guys representing the 49th District in Region 13.
rojas Wrote:The impressive thing about McDaniel is that basketball is his second sport. McDaniel may be the top high school golfer in the state this fall. He has even won an AJGA event or two. AJGA is equivalent to the PGA tour for high school kids.

There is no may to it, he is undoubtedly the best golfer in the state. He's already been a three time all stater and Mr. Golf winner and he's only a Sophomore. A quick google search shows that he's top 30 in nearly all national junior rankings. I don't know how golf recruiting works, but I imagine this would put him as being top 5-10 in his class in the country.
Great game to watch, a lot of offensive execution! HC I thought played about as well as they could play, I'm real proud of them.. With his athleticism, ball handling and passing ability I believe Brewer can and I hope he does play some college ball.. Also McDaniel for Clay is a very special player, no doubt the best player in the region next 2 years!! Clay has a chance to win a game or two at Rupp, good luck up there I'll be pulling for the 13th region representative always!!!
I went up to Coach Keith after everything was done. I told him that we're back and it is just starting with McDaniel and the young kids. He looked at me agreed and said its time to go get a good big man.
In my honest opinion, the reason Clay won was Lyttle. The kid was a difference maker. Don't get me wrong McDaniel had an impact for sure, but Lyttle was the guy that consistently knocked a shot when need be in my opinion. Those two led the charge for Clay. I think Clay might be able to give Knott an intense game. Best of luck to you all! Represent the 13th!
The reason Clay won was all 7 of the boys that played. From McDaniel to Blake Smith everyone on that court played well. I thought McDaniel had a rough shooting night but the kid was clutch at the end as he has been since his days in grade and middle school. Lyttle, wow. All I can say is if this kid was 6'5 or 6 there'd be a lot of programs after him. Huge shoutout to Kody Reed for battling sickness and Jarrod Rice and Marty Bowling for being the surprise players in the region. Heck of a job my Coach Marcum. The last half of the year he got the boys to buy in and look what has happened.
I could write pages, and not say enough about Lyttle!! All of it would be good, too!!
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:I went up to Coach Keith after everything was done. I told him that we're back and it is just starting with McDaniel and the young kids. He looked at me agreed and said its time to go get a good big man.
Why don't you just announce to the whole world you're going to go out and recruit a good big man?? Not smart!!!
Good to see my Tigers back in the State Tourney, Well played game by Harlan County you guys have a lot to be proud of.
How's it not smart? We have kids that have Clay County connections that are playing elsewhere. Rumor is Spurlock is coming back to be Robert's assistant and bringing Johnson! Lol!!! Just kidding folks.
Best of luck to clay at Rupp. They were the better team last night. What a great game to watch,both teams left it on the floor.
Hit and Run Wrote:There is no may to it, he is undoubtedly the best golfer in the state. He's already been a three time all stater and Mr. Golf winner and he's only a Sophomore. A quick google search shows that he's top 30 in nearly all national junior rankings. I don't know how golf recruiting works, but I imagine this would put him as being top 5-10 in his class in the country.

Let's don't get carried away Hit and Run. Tyler is a great high school golfer. I think he finished 5th or 6th in the state in 2012. I think he may be the top underclassman returning. He actually ranked 54th on the AJGA circuit, not top 30. 54th is certainly nothing to sneeze at. He was the 3rd ranked player from Kentucky on the AJGA. Fred Meyer from Nicholasville (class of 2014) was ranked 52nd and Brendon Doyle from Louisville (class of 2014) was ranked 29th.
From an old cantankerous Tiger -

Your fans were noting but top notch and classy. I hated to see your kids so down after losing but it had to be somebody, I'm sure you guys will rack up many District region and state victories in the future, this loss will soon be a tiny blip in your history.

For the record, I don't know how Harlan County Board of Education pulled it off but you guys have the nicest Public High School facilities in the state, I'm talking everything Basketball, Football, Track, Baseball, Softball and Tennis.

I Applaud You Guys for putting your children's academic success the top priority.:Clap:
AJGA ranks by 6 events, Tyler didn't play in that many I don't believe. He is hands down the best golfer in the state and one of the top 5 junior golfers the state has ever seen. This is why Oklahoma State, Florida and Stanford are recruiting him. But with that said, this is about basketball. He is a heck of a bball player and he has some great teammates and a coach that realized it was time to turn the kid loose. Good luck at Rupp Tigers!! Represent the 13th well!!
Stephon Lyttle won that game last night in my opinion. He made big shot after big shot, and grabbed boards all night. Whenever we needed a score, we put it in his hands and he got it done..plain and simple. As for Brewer, that kid can absolutely ball. He can play above the rim, uses the backboard effectively, and broke down a pretty good clay county zone defense when he wanted too. Slashed in the middle all night long. Alex Sergent can stroke the 3 when he gets hot. Bowling for Clay has to stay out of foul trouble in the game against KCC. He's a big factor down low. Overall, great game, great environment, and Congrats to Clay on winning the Championship. And Harlan never gave up all night, they played their hearts out.
rojas Wrote:Let's don't get carried away Hit and Run. Tyler is a great high school golfer. I think he finished 5th or 6th in the state in 2012. I think he may be the top underclassman returning. He actually ranked 54th on the AJGA circuit, not top 30. 54th is certainly nothing to sneeze at. He was the 3rd ranked player from Kentucky on the AJGA. Fred Meyer from Nicholasville (class of 2014) was ranked 52nd and Brendon Doyle from Louisville (class of 2014) was ranked 29th.

As Bubba said it looks like the AJGA or Polo rankings are done per 6 events. He's a little short of that. Golfweek has him at #19 with the next Kentuckian checking in at #64. It also looks like the events that McDaniel plays in are much more prestegious than the other Kentuckians. Just from glancing looks like Tyler played in the JR PGA Championship, and AJGA events at Sedgefield and TPC Sawgrass.
Pretty sure Stephon Lyttle and his teammates won it Bobby. Love the name but too bad the real Bobby Keith is a legend and you're some kid that has computer access. Go Clay!
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:AJGA ranks by 6 events, Tyler didn't play in that many I don't believe. He is hands down the best golfer in the state and one of the top 5 junior golfers the state has ever seen. This is why Oklahoma State, Florida and Stanford are recruiting him. But with that said, this is about basketball. He is a heck of a bball player and he has some great teammates and a coach that realized it was time to turn the kid loose. Good luck at Rupp Tigers!! Represent the 13th well!!

There is no doubt Tyler is a great golfer and can go to any school he chooses. According to the AJGA Polo Rankings, Tyler played in 5 AJGA events. His top finish was 8th at the Junior PGA Championship. He had a T9, T14 and two T20. I look forward to watching him play in the PNC Junior Championship in August.

Best of luck in Rupp Arena.
Complete team performance. That's what it takes. They had two guys with exceptional games and the rest of the guys bought in and did their job. The second game, Rice was on fire. Kody Reed had one of his best games in a while. Bowling stayed away from that 5th foul for majority of the 4th quarter. Man o man. Happy to be back! No need to get complacent. It's March! Who knows?
The Day after and I still feel for the Black Bears! Clay hasn't lost since Harlan County beat them in the WYMT! I agree Lyttle hit big shot after big shot. Looks like they'll get a chance at Knott Central.
Lyttle's dad was a nice player for Bobby Keith back in the early 80s I think. He comes by it honestly. Once again, you're only as strong as your weakest link. It takes every link to build the strength.
One Internet site has a story that HC coach Mike Jones is retiring after last nights matchup with his Former team both as a player and head coach. The story I read was that Michael Jones will be running the team from this point on. Has anyone else got conformation on this? The story further states that this effective immediately, not that this comes as much of a surprise as Coach was all set to retire last year and have Coach J step up but another coach that happens to have coached some boys teams in the past. so stay tuned as this get things going quickly.
I don't know where you got your information but it sounds like a Harlan County Topics info. Coach Jones has not retired or resigned. He will let you know when he does if he does. It is best you keep your rumors to yourself.