Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montgomery County 94 Harlan County 77
Ballers Wrote:Not taking anything away from him but it looks like a regular dunk lol. If you want to see a real dunk go watch Henry clay this year.

The picture does not do the dunk justice. I have watched played and watched some great high school games. It was Nasty!!!! Here are some pretty good quotes from Happy Osborne who has been around some great teams and players for many years:

Several minutes after Tyler Brewer's gravity-defying dunk over Montgomery County all-stater Omar Prewitt on Saturday at Harlan County HIgh School, Harlan Daily Enterprise sports editor John Middleton asked if I'd ever seen a more impressive single play. After a day of reflection, I can't remember one and I've seen all the top players in the 13th Region since the mid 1970s.
Even Osborne, who has seen the top high school players in Kentucky for the past 30 years, said Brewer's dunk was special.
"That's one of the best plays I've seen," Osborne said. "Our guys were giving (Prewitt) a hard time and I went in the locker room and said I'd be the first to be immature and cackled and they all went nuts. That was a heck of a play. That was a Sports Center play. Brewer is a good athlete. That was nasty. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it an 11."
Harlan County coach Mike Jones has never been one to single out individual players, especially during the course of the season, but he also was impressed. Jones has coached three best players in Harlan County since the Wah Wah Jones days (as a head coach with Charles Thomas at Harlan and Nick Sanford at Cawood and an assistant with Phil Cox at Cawood). He said the fact that Brewer, at 6-1, cleared the 6-foot-6 Prewitt, who will play attend William & Mary, made it even more amazing.
Ballers Wrote:Not taking anything away from him but it looks like a regular dunk lol. If you want to see a real dunk go watch Henry clay this year.

You are correct Ballers, the picture doesn't even TOUCH the reality of this dunk. By the way, I've seen Henry Clay a lot this season.....now listen really close.....NOTHING from them was even close to Brewer on this dunk!!!!!
Granny Bear. That picture was taken by Chris Jones for the Harlan Daily Enterprise.
I'm sure the dunk was impressive but mountain people always go crazy over dunks when they couldn't even hold NAIA players jocks.
Ok ok let's not get completely out of whack over this dunk. First the picture does not give it justice, it would be a great video, because when Brewer came up with the ball on the right side of the court and Prewitt was coming down the left side as both players headed to their launching point they both gathered themselves and went into the air when Brewer at 6'1 rocked it back and threw in down over the 6'5 Prewitt it was special. Now was it the best that I have ever seen in this area, kinda doubt it because I saw some monster slams in game situations from the high riser Russ Chadwell from Clay Co and that was the late 80s. Best NAIA dunk Georgetowns Barry Bowman over the entire Union College front line, reverse double pump from his knees, I happened to be on the bench and just about lost my mind on that one. Ah Hoop memories you gotta love em.
Well I guess the stellar has faded out and reality has set in...time for us dumb ass hillbilly s to go back to tossing our kickballs into the bushel baskets...

To think I actually thought that dunk was special....SMH at myself. Wow how dumb us mountain people can be sometimes :igiveup:
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Ok ok let's not get completely out of whack over this dunk. First the picture does not give it justice, it would be a great video, because when Brewer came up with the ball on the right side of the court and Prewitt was coming down the left side as both players headed to their launching point they both gathered themselves and went into the air when Brewer at 6'1 rocked it back and threw in down over the 6'5 Prewitt it was special. Now was it the best that I have ever seen in this area, kinda doubt it because I saw some monster slams in game situations from the high riser Russ Chadwell from Clay Co and that was the late 80s. Best NAIA dunk Georgetowns Barry Bowman over the entire Union College front line, reverse double pump from his knees, I happened to be on the bench and just about lost my mind on that one. Ah Hoop memories you gotta love em.

You saw a better dunk in a high school game in eastern Kentucky? You couldn't forget the details (when, where) if it was that good.
I saw Oak Hill at Cawood in 87 and those were pretty impressive from several Division I players, but none were more difficult than that. No one got in the way in any of those.
In one of those Oak Hill/Cawood games, Cawood got their first rebound of the game in the 3rd quarter.
Dunks count 2 points, the same as a layup or a couple of free throws. I would just as soon see a kid made a great defensive play, assist or dive on the floor for a loose ball.
^ you see those plays every game....you see a dunk like this once every 30 years. I'll take the dunk.... Any 6 footer can make those plays. 1 in 10,000 an make the play Brewer made.
I'm not trying to disrespect anyone, I mean I'm a mountain boy. But, let's remember, this is the area of 6'4" centers and point guards under 6'. People do get their "panties in a wad" over dunks. Kid from Breathitt is under 6' and can absolutely jam.
Bear_Paw Wrote:^ you see those plays every game....you see a dunk like this once every 30 years. I'll take the dunk.... Any 6 footer can make those plays. 1 in 10,000 an make the play Brewer made.

To each his own. Personally, I would rather see the kids do the things that win basketball games and championships.
And Harlan County wins a lot of games doing that, and loose a few not doing so. I guess the compromise is loving both!
Wes Wolfe from Clay Co. Remember the name people. You'll be hearing about a lot of dunks from him in the next 3 years. 6'2 with a 40+ vertical.
OK, if we are talking about dunks, the best I have seen in a high school game was in Memorial Coliseum in Lexington. A kid from Bowling Green High School was set up perfectly to take a charge from a kid going baseline. The kid going baseline spread his legs and jumped over the defender and slamming the ball. The whole place went silent in disbelief. The kid was Carmelo Anthony.
Oh Yeah, well I saw a kid named Ibin Heltback do a 360 rock the baby, and he left from the top of the key!! Why y'all hatin on a dunk that you didn't even see? It's all good!!