Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Raines steps down as LCC Football Coach
PRIDE101 Wrote:Look what Bourbon did this year.

He is your problem. Bourbon slowly built up over several years to a regional runner up with 18 starters returning. Then they hired a new coach and won 1 more game. With 18 starters back.

2 Problems: A: You want to give Hodge the credit. B: You have not put in the years to re-build.
My point is he wasn't a big name coach...and done very well. I will give him the credit he coached them. There previous coach???????
Bourbons previous coach was Johnny Poynter.
PRIDE101 Wrote:That sounds good , but I have to disagree. LCC needs someone loyal to the program or someone hungry for a state championship. These so called big names at the end of there career will not put the years in to bring it where it needs to be. I believe they need to find a young hungry coordinator or head coach. Look what Bourbon did this year. While Holcomb is an outstanding coach...how long will he stay. Make no mistake he is going there. I hope he stays more than 3 years.
Agree
Maybe all of Mommy's and Daddy's kids over in Letcher County arent as athletic and good as they are made out to be at home. Just because you have a Jumbotron at the field dosen't mean that you have talent to go with it. Maybe they should hire some Playstation playing grade school coaches over there who won 9 games one year 2 decades ago at Fleming Neon Middle. You all are getting what you deserve over there.
The proof speaks for itself. If your coach leaves your school to take one of the worst jobs in the state, then something is wrong.
Bloody Harlan Wrote:The proof speaks for itself. If your coach leaves your school to take one of the worst jobs in the state, then something is wrong.

Let me ask you a serious question; How many people do you think actually look to move to Whitesburg?

Fact is, this might have had a lot more to do with the location/area of the school? It's nothing negative. Is what it is. Many people are suited for the city/suburban life. Myself, I like being in the middle of absolutel nowhere (see Letcher County, close to relatively nothing) and also enjoy the perks of a metro type area. Coaches aren't any different.

For whatever reason, this just wasn't a fit. As I said, I think this had a lot more to do with just football, but a way of life preferred over another.
Frazier from M'boro is a local boy from Whitesburg and would love to get out of M'boro. They have a admin change and pressure is on him to win, which will be difficult to do.
4 coaches in 6 years and your present coach is leaving for one of the worst jobs in the state. The last three guys were all proven winners who had won at mountain schools. The problem may not be the coaches.
Iam4thecats Wrote:He is your problem. Bourbon slowly built up over several years to a regional runner up with 18 starters returning. Then they hired a new coach and won 1 more game. With 18 starters back.

2 Problems: A: You want to give Hodge the credit. B: You have not put in the years to re-build.

I believe he won 5 more ball games compared to the previous year. They were 13-1 this year vs 8-4 the previous year. Also Bourbon County lost in the 2nd round in 2011 but did not lose until the semi-finals (round 4) in 2012. Its off topic but I just wanted to make sure the info was correct.
BoyleRebel Wrote:I believe he won 5 more ball games compared to the previous year. They were 13-1 this year vs 8-4 the previous year. Also Bourbon County lost in the 2nd round in 2011 but did not lose until the semi-finals (round 4) in 2012. Its off topic but I just wanted to make sure the info was correct.

If Hodge wins 8 games in 2013 then perhaps the Colonels have something going. The 2012 team returned many starters that Johnny Poynter had been building towards for a couple of years before the rug was pulled out from under him.
TopCat Wrote:Frazier from M'boro is a local boy from Whitesburg and would love to get out of M'boro. They have a admin change and pressure is on him to win, which will be difficult to do.

Frazier would never go home. He has taken his lumps the past two years with freshmen and sophmores. He will tell you that the pressure is on and he likes it. They will turn the corner the next year. They lost only 1 starter from last year. Return 21 of the 22 starters. Administration will help athletics when it happens. Things are looking up in Middlesboro, just wait and you will see.
Bourbon returns everyone except 1 running back and perhaps a lineman. The point being that talent was in the pipeline and was being developed and the program and new coach is now seeing the results.
I think that discussion is pertinent to this situation. When you really evaluate the talent coming through, how does it stack up to the competition. Is there talent there ready and ripe for success or is this something that is going to take some time to develop over several years to get to a point of competitiveness. All of this plays into the selection of a coach and whether or not a coach would be interested in the job.
Many layers to this onion...
BoyleRebel Wrote:I believe he won 5 more ball games compared to the previous year. They were 13-1 this year vs 8-4 the previous year. Also Bourbon County lost in the 2nd round in 2011 but did not lose until the semi-finals (round 4) in 2012. Its off topic but I just wanted to make sure the info was correct.
I thought they had made round 3 the previous year so I do apologize. He in fact won 2 games more then in my mind. I don't count anything but playoffs. I want you to understand I am not criticizing John Hodge, I am criticizing the people who do not understand why programs win and why not, and how fast this takes place.
If they hire who I think they will hire, then I think we will be alright.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
ballboy Wrote:Tom searcy

LCC is probably looking for a coach that can actually win ball games. Confusednicker:

Good luck to the next LCC coach, hope whoever it is actually gets some support.
TopCat Wrote:Frazier from M'boro is a local boy from Whitesburg and would love to get out of M'boro. They have a admin change and pressure is on him to win, which will be difficult to do.

Frazier should have been hired from day one. In my opinion he's not coming back.....he has a better job!
The coach has already been decided. Holcomb will be there. Didn't believe it early, but more moves are on the way.
Holcomb is a good coach.
If he ends up at LCC, then Perry fans should be worried about what Haddix will decide.
I agree. They should bring Frazier home. He would be a perfect fit. Home town boy with a lot of head coaching experience. I don't think Middlesboro will ever be back. They may have a good year now and then. I think he could generate some excitement. He is not too old and not too young. Bring Coach home !
BIG LOSS for LCC IMO ! I played for Raines and I LOVED playing for him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Your situation Hook and ours is totally diffent if you played for him in Lexington. LCA could easily got people from metro lexington who was willing to pay tuition to play football. That is why it was so good so fast. We are what we are, and what makes us better is what we are doing now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

^I played for him at Johnson Central in 1987 and we sucked. Guess what our problem was?

YEP....PARENTS !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
can u apply online my dad wants to apply for the HC job
Holcomb would be a great hire. Great coach, motivator, and person.
Don't know, but he can call central office.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I have some pretty lose ties to Holcomb and I do think he might be thinking it over....what in the world he is thinking...I don't know. But I will say this....if you guys run him out over there...you'll be 2034 finding another coach. You better treat this guy better than the last two.if he comes...
If they let this one go, then you might as well hang the two soccer regional championship banners up there, because that would be suicide to the program.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Holcomb is a good coach.
If he ends up at LCC, then Perry fans should be worried about what Haddix will decide.

This is a relevant and concerning point.
When could one expect to here about the hiring of this position? Holcomb leaving Breathitt would really surprise me but hey money talks! This would be a great hire for LCC considering the status and moral of the program at this time. Who is overseeing the weight lifting program right now? Are the boys hitting the weights? Imo this is the key to success is to have a total buy in by the players to want to get stronger and faster. We were just pushed all over the field last year. I think Holcomb would definitely deserve the respect of parents, fans and players not to find faults in his coaching ability, but Im sure some would! Again talk is Holcomb is coming but guess Ill have to see it!