Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville '87 vs THE WORLD!!!
HazzBeen Wrote:So did you guys even play football? You talk about my ignorance. How much do you know and what makes you so much more smarter than everyone else on here? Give me the qualifications for being a football genious.

Take the words that come into your mind......pause and think about them......finally, say the exact opposite of what you were thinking.:Thumbs:

Do that and you'll be fine!:thumpsup:

Best of luck!!!!
So you did or didn't play football?
HazzBeen Wrote:So you did or didn't play football?

All my life......your point?
Mr. Right Wrote:[QUOTE=HazzBeen]

So now LC couldn't even carry '87 Pikeville's jock-strap, right????

Lawrence fell to Top 20 ranked in the entire nation Highlands that year at Fort Thomas, even though Lawrence gave up 70 points and they also scored the most points on Highlands that year in that game. To say something that the 87' Pikeville team was extremely talented, but would demolish any team that it ever faced is reaching for it somewhat. Take the huge size of the offensive line and the overall talent of the 99' Lawrence team on the offensive side of the ball alone would be a real problem for any team especially the 87' Pikeville squad.

I am giving the 87' team lots of props and credit but to say that they were the best ever in the mountains or would destroy the top mountain programs as listed in this thread is pretty much making it seem extremely bias or lack of information.
First of all the Belfry team that Pikeville beat in '87 was in no way the third best team in AAA that year. That ranking stemmed from Belfry being in the championship the previous two years. In my opinion that Belfry team lost a lot of talent from the previous year thus were in a rebuilding kind of year. Example-think of their early exit in the playoffs that year, NO region championship. Now on to Pikeville. The '87 team was one that you had to see to understand. They put up stats that didnt tell the whole story. I dont think they had a starter play the second half in any game but one the entire year. Let the starters play most of the minutes and we would be talking about stats that would never be matched. Do I think any of the previously mentioned teams could beat Pikeville? Probably not. Its nothing but a hypothetical question but IMO, and Ive watched almost every state finals for the last 20 years, there have only been a handful of teams that could have handled the size and speed that this Pikeville squad could throw at you. Best of all time? Maybe or maybe not. But one hell of a team that could have competed in any class during any year.
Udon'tKnowMe Wrote:From what I have heard this team had the best chance of any "A" school to beat the 2, 3,and 4 A state champion of that year. Meaning( in theory) the '87 Panther team was the best football team in the entire state in '87 not just the best "A" team. Very few "A" schools could beat the 4A champion in any year or even be given much of a chance but, the '87 Pikeville team is the one "A" team that gets that type of respect.
They were ranked by dave cantrall of the herald leader #1 all classes. To my knowledge very few 1a schools have ever gotten that honor.
Mr. Right Wrote:He didn't say they were ranked third either.

To make a long story short, it takes a lot of nerve, or ignorance, to make a thread title that reads "Pikeville '87 vs The World".

BTW.....I never saw that Pikeville team play in person, but I saw game film. And I'd be willing to bet the thread starter has never seen them play live or on film, but he/she is posting on the great tales passed down by Pikeville fans. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep it in persepctive. They were a great team, but not the "world beaters" Pikeville alumni make them out to be. Be happy that they won 3 consecutive 1A championships, that is quite an accomplishment. But do not automatically assume they are the best mountain team ever.

Bottom line......If the thread title read "Pikeville '87 vs any of the other teams mentioned" I wouldn't have took a jab at the thread starter. But the thread title was arrogant, conceited, and disrespectful, IMO, so I took my shots at Pikeville because I was given the opportunity.
Actually I saw both. Try calling me all that to my face tough guy! Im sorry if I didnt word my thread correctly according to you. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings or anything.(Must be that time of the month) LOL!:getwell:
I think we need to get this thread back on topic and keep it there! I will close this thread if it doesn't get back on topic. This is a warning to all.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Actually I saw both. Try calling me all that to my face tough guy! Im sorry if I didnt word my thread correctly according to you. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings or anything.(Must be that time of the month) LOL!:getwell:

OK
I always hear on here the belfry fans and breathitt fans all the other fans who are from good programs who have one state championships that their team is the best of all time and nobody can ever beat them. I come on here with a team I support and everone gets mad over how I word my thread? I have the utmost respect for Belfry and Breathitt and all other programs that are and have always been good, but it isnt my fault if some of you are babies in grownup bodies that cant take it when I say the same thing about the team I root for. GIMMIE A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!
easternkysportsguru Wrote:[QUOTE=Mr. Right]

Lawrence fell to Top 20 ranked in the entire nation Highlands that year at Fort Thomas, even though Lawrence gave up 70 points and they also scored the most points on Highlands that year in that game. To say something that the 87' Pikeville team was extremely talented, but would demolish any team that it ever faced is reaching for it somewhat. Take the huge size of the offensive line and the overall talent of the 99' Lawrence team on the offensive side of the ball alone would be a real problem for any team especially the 87' Pikeville squad.

I am giving the 87' team lots of props and credit but to say that they were the best ever in the mountains or would destroy the top mountain programs as listed in this thread is pretty much making it seem extremely bias or lack of information.
You want size and strength. The '87 team was only 25 pounds across the line smaller than the '87 Dallas Cowboys!
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:So now only teams that won a state championship could beat them? Please you are making yourself sound awful. Please for your sake quit now. This is geting crazy.
What does winning a state title have anything to do with the fact that that team could play with and possibly beat the 1987 Pikeville Panthers? Wow your ignorance amazes me.
I always thought championships are what seperate good teams from great ones.
BurntTires Wrote:Is this the Pikeville team that had the Deramus brothers?
Bobby played on that team. His brother Eddie played with me in the mid 90s.
fox sports Wrote:Mr Right,
Just because one person starts a meaningless, conceited, unprovable thread, doesn't mean we all must stoop to that level.
With you being "Mr Right", I thought you would rise above the fray.
Made you get on here post didnt it?
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:And I have seen no record of Pikeville being ranked above the Trinty teams of 2000 either. Or the Highlands teams of the 90's. They were ranked #1 in 1987. Maybe that was just a weak year for the state. You can not prove that any of the teams I listed are not capable of beating the 87 Pikeville team. They all had better athletes and aside from P'burg equal coaching.
For all this talk I have not yet seen one link to them being the top ranked team in the state in 1987. I know in 1988 Trinity was ranked in the top 25 in the country but I have yet to see where Pikeville was. I know it might be hard to swallow and that this might upset you, but maybe, just MAYBE Pikeville of 1987 was not the greatest team ever. I know many teams from other parts of the state that would have beaten them, and to say some of the best mountain teams couldn't is just stupid.

Here is the link to the All Time top 25. Any team that made it is listed. No Pikeville from KY.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/foo...i-mich.htm
Hillard had the herald leader clipping framed in his office of the cantrall final ratings in 1987 with Pikeville #1.
PantherPride68 Wrote:I always hear on here the belfry fans and breathitt fans all the other fans who are from good programs who have one state championships that their team is the best of all time and nobody can ever beat them. I come on here with a team I support and everone gets mad over how I word my thread? I have the utmost respect for Belfry and Breathitt and all other programs that are and have always been good, but it isnt my fault if some of you are babies in grownup bodies that cant take it when I say the same thing about the team I root for. GIMMIE A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I meant 'won' state championships.
PantherPride68 Wrote:I always hear on here the belfry fans and breathitt fans all the other fans who are from good programs who have one state championships that their team is the best of all time and nobody can ever beat them. I come on here with a team I support and everone gets mad over how I word my thread? I have the utmost respect for Belfry and Breathitt and all other programs that are and have always been good, but it isnt my fault if some of you are babies in grownup bodies that cant take it when I say the same thing about the team I root for. GIMMIE A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would have listed "Pikeville '87 vs Belfry '03 or '04" and then "Pikeville '87 vs Breathitt Co. '02" and so on, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

BUT the way you listed "Pikeville '87 vs. the World", it comes across as arrogant. Personally, I think you realize that now, but would rather eat a 2 ton truck full of raw fish than admit it. Either way, its all good.
So what if the 87 team had the weight training that these guys have today?? Would that make any difference?
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Agree...The Best team to EVER PLAY IN THE MOUNTAINS!
Was Chase Goodman on this Pikeville team?
Was this the team with a lot of "newbies" from different areas playing on it. I seem to remember a Pikeville team that had a lot of new talent come there all at once..
gish_7 Wrote:Was Chase Goodman on this Pikeville team?
NO he was on the 91 runner up team think he graduated in 93.
Mr. Right Wrote:If you would have listed "Pikeville '87 vs Belfry '03 or '04" and then "Pikeville '87 vs Breathitt Co. '02" and so on, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

BUT the way you listed "Pikeville '87 vs. the World", it comes across as arrogant. Personally, I think you realize that now, but would rather eat a 2 ton truck full of raw fish than admit it. Either way, its all good.
Because IMO they could have crushed them all. If anyone has trouble admitting something its YOU, thats why youre so offended by this thread. Deep down you know how good they were if you watched them on film and seen them live and YOU dont want to admit it.
Pirate Pal Wrote:Was this the team with a lot of "newbies" from different areas playing on it. I seem to remember a Pikeville team that had a lot of new talent come there all at once..
What are you implying. If its what I think it is I dont think you want to go there.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Because IMO they could have crushed them all. If anyone has trouble admitting something its YOU, thats why youre so offended by this thread. Deep down you know how good they were if you watched them on film and seen them live and YOU dont want to admit it.

And once again, you emphasis my point all by your simple self.

BTW....I am not offended by your arrogance, but I am amused.
PantherPride68 Wrote:What are you implying. If its what I think it is I dont think you want to go there.

Did it seem that I was implying something???
Pirate Pal Wrote:Did it seem that I was implying something???
I dont know you tell me.
Mr. Right Wrote:And once again, you emphasis my point all by your simple self.

BTW....I am not offended by your arrogance, but I am amused.
Like I said before big guy try that with me face to face.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Like I said before big guy try that with me face to face.

Rolleyes Rolleyes
Watch it you too....don't say something that could get you in trouble. The laws of the world apply here too even though you are behind a computer screen.