Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastlane Classic
What an awesome first two games.

Game 1: Johnson Central 60-57 over Henry Clay in double overtime

Shane Hall led a gritty JC team over the eighth ranked team in the state. JC trailed most of the game but came back in the fourth quarter to tie it and eventually win it in double overtime. JC junior Shane Hall was easily the best player on the court and amazing they played most of game with him and four sophomores. They will be tough to handle this year but really watch out for next year. HC's standout junior Trey Grundy was a nice player but could not handle JC's Hall, actually I thought HC's best player was their point guard junior Christen Cunningham, smooth as butter.

Game 2: Trinity 55-53 over Madison Central

Game lived up to expectations as the second ranked Trinity edged third ranked Madison Central. Trinity made the trip without two starters (Quick/injury and Page/grades). Closely contested game throughout. The difference may have been Trinity's depth. Trinity senior standout Darryl Hicks (recruited by mid-majors) had a good game but guard Miles Rice hit two free throws with 0.5 seconds left to win it. These two play again on Feb 1.

Finally, I just wanted to say what a well run "tourney" this was. Friendly people with a community well behind them made it a very fun day. They had entertainment and drawings. If you get a chance you should try to go one year.
Very disappointed in the play of Willis for Bullitt East. Thought he would be a dominate player. He had a very lackluster performance against Knott County today.
MVP2 Wrote:That's a nice win for Johnson Central. HC is a top 10 team in the state.

Any stats from the Knott/BE game? Looks like KCC played one of the state favs pretty close.

First off I want to start by saying that Derrick Willis is the most overrated player in the state. Knott played a good three quarters led by six at the end of one. The second is what killed them, they were outscored 28-7. Knott played no defense what so ever that quarter, pretty much gave up. Halftime it was 36-21. Knott outscored BE 38-29 in the second half.

It was a very physical game Christan and Cornett both fouled out in the fourth. BE is a very good defensive team and left open they will make you pay ( I PROMISE). I'm gonna say they had 10 or 12 3's. both teams turned the ball over alot. The officiating wasnt great for either team. Glad to see KCC hang with one of the top teams in the state. Maybe Killerb or someone else can give us some team and player stats...
THOMCAT Wrote:Game 2 has Louisville Trinity defeating Madison Central 54-52.

This game was not as close as the score indicates...
citykat Wrote:What an awesome first two games.

Game 1: Johnson Central 60-57 over Henry Clay in double overtime

Shane Hall led a gritty JC team over the eighth ranked team in the state. JC trailed most of the game but came back in the fourth quarter to tie it and eventually win it in double overtime. JC junior Shane Hall was easily the best player on the court and amazing they played most of game with him and four sophomores. They will be tough to handle this year but really watch out for next year. HC's standout junior Trey Grundy was a nice player but could not handle JC's Hall, actually I thought HC's best player was their point guard junior Christen Cunningham, smooth as butter.

Game 2: Trinity 55-53 over Madison Central

Game lived up to expectations as the second ranked Trinity edged third ranked Madison Central. Trinity made the trip without two starters (Quick/injury and Page/grades). Closely contested game throughout. The difference may have been Trinity's depth. Trinity senior standout Darryl Hicks (recruited by mid-majors) had a good game but guard Miles Rice hit two free throws with 0.5 seconds left to win it. These two play again on Feb 1.

Finally, I just wanted to say what a well run "tourney" this was. Friendly people with a community well behind them made it a very fun day. They had entertainment and drawings. If you get a chance you should try to go one year.

JCHS played great defense in the second half vs HC. JC has a really good point guard who played well today. #10 for JC played a good game off the bench. JC did a good job vs the HC press. HC seemed to get tired while JC just kept plugging along. It was a great "tourney" an a great day and a great place for basketball.
OutsideLogic Wrote:Very disappointed in the play of Willis for Bullitt East. Thought he would be a dominate player. He had a very lackluster performance against Knott County today.

So was I. The thing that disappointed me the most was his attitude. The constant pushing and elbows. Plus hitting #21 in the butt with the ball as he ran by him. If today is any indication, he is not UK material. Appeared athetically to be nothing more than Jon Hood without the jump shot.
^ Agreed very bad attitude...
I saw Willis getting much of the same that he did in state tourney except a little dirtier. Very physical game both ways but KCC threw a lot of bows on their screens and on post defense. Troutman kid for East shot it well and looks the part of a D1 player.
Watching Willis stuff that wide open dunk attempt clumsily into the front of the rim was priceless. If you want a token Kentucky kid to ride the bench for PR purposes, you could probably find one who could contribute more. He's not even the best player on his team; I think Troutman gives you more effort and shooting. Cameron Justice and Shane Hall and Darryl Hicks and Hawkins from MC were all better players than Derek Willis, from what I saw today.
^ Agreed!!
Very good basketball games today all in all. I left during the Shelby Valley and Tug Valley game though. It was well worth 7 dollars to watch all those great teams and players. There was some very nice dunks throughout the day. And some really nice blocks as well! I'll definitely be back to watch next year!
Flyer fan Wrote:I saw Willis getting much of the same that he did in state tourney except a little dirtier. Very physical game both ways but KCC threw a lot of bows on their screens and on post defense. Troutman kid for East shot it well and looks the part of a D1 player.

I'd say whats fair for the goose is fair for the gander wouldnt you?
Here are a few individual scoring stats for each game

Game 1 Johnson Central 60- Shaen Hall 21, Braxton Blair 21
Henry Clay - 57 - Grundy, Cunningham , Green 14 points each

Game 2 - Trinity 56 - Hicks 16, Strothman 0- 12, Owens 10
Madison Central - 54 - Bosley 23, Hawkins 13

Game 3 - Bullitt East - 65 - Rusty Troutman 25 ( 7 3's), Rakes 12, Willis 8( not UK material in my eyes)
Knott County - 59 - Justice 25

Game 4

Sheldon Clark Lady Cards - 45 - Garcia 13, Newsome 12
Knott County - 34, Short 9, Paige Slone 8

Game 5 - Tug Valley WV - 75 Austin Brewer 21, Mikie Newsome 14
Shelby Valley - 52 - Hamilton 13

Game 6 - Sheldon Clark boys 47 - James 19, Parsley 13
Besty Layne - 34 Case - 8 Tackett 7.

A great day of high school basketball