Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic 24 Boyle County 21
I've watched a lot of Boyle County football over the years. Lexington Catholic was the better team and would have killed Boyle in the second half if Bolin had been in the game. That being said, Boyle left a TON of points on the table in this game and should have won.

The biggest issue for me was the horrible play calling by the Boyle staff near the end of both halves. On their second to last drive of the first half, they were NOT playing to score at all. And late in the second, they stayed in the wishbone when it wasn't working at all on a 3rd and 6. If they'd gotten a first down there, they could have burned more clock.

I don't understand what is going on there, but this is not the Boyle county I'm used to seeing. In the first half, the old Boyle would have rushed to score, did an on side kick, and scored again. It's like the staff is laying down.
What's up with Boyle county and all the Pink? I might be mistaken but I thought that was October.:pondering:
Breast cancer awareness.
know1 Wrote:I've watched a lot of Boyle County football over the years. Lexington Catholic was the better team and would have killed Boyle in the second half if Bolin had been in the game. That being said, Boyle left a TON of points on the table in this game and should have won.

The biggest issue for me was the horrible play calling by the Boyle staff near the end of both halves. On their second to last drive of the first half, they were NOT playing to score at all. And late in the second, they stayed in the wishbone when it wasn't working at all on a 3rd and 6. If they'd gotten a first down there, they could have burned more clock.

I don't understand what is going on there, but this is not the Boyle county I'm used to seeing. In the first half, the old Boyle would have rushed to score, did an on side kick, and scored again. It's like the staff is laying down.

I Don't agree with Lex cath being any better than Boyle,but i will agree with there being problems in the staff.I also think Boyle left a ton of points on the table because of coaching.I hate to say it but we have some coaches who need to go.with the right coaching this Boyle team could have been a whole lot better than what they are.I can't understand why early in the third quarter with a 21 to 12 lead why you would go so conservitive,and stay in the wish bone almost the entire second half to try and run the clock out when your passing game is working better than your running game.I would think a balanced offense is much harder to defend than the wish bone only.i think Boyles offensive coordinator should take all the blame for this loss,and French needs a little to for letting it happen.in closing congrats to Lex Cath on one hell of a fourth quarter come back.they never quit.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive been saying it since day one!

Russell County is the best team in that region!

And who have they played? At least with a winning record at the time they played Russell Co.? Mmmmm let me see
know1 Wrote:I've watched a lot of Boyle County football over the years. Lexington Catholic was the better team and would have killed Boyle in the second half if Bolin had been in the game. That being said, Boyle left a TON of points on the table in this game and should have won.

Knights also left a ton of points, 2 LONG run for TD called back mmmm and 3 missed PAT. So it a push
All week we have been hearing that Catholic defense can not stop Boyle's ground and pound running attack. Well we should have started asking if Boyle could and did not stop the not so ground and pound attack by Catholic, but more of the quicker/ slasher attack and linemen that gashed the holes. And that's including the 2 long run that were called back. Defense tonight was just good enough. Anybody know the final starts?
I think the lack of depth hurts Boyle more than anything else. People can talk about the coaching and play calling all they want. I can't doubt the coaches in good conscience because they are the ones with the team in practice every day. They are the ones dissecting film. They are the ones who know exactly what each player can do. The only questionable thing I saw from the staff was right before halftime when they pooch kicked the kickoff right after they scored to make it 14-6. I'd rather they have kicked it deep. It took LC 2 plays and 15 seconds to get to the Boyle 38 yard line and set up the Hail Mary that Letton caught and got concussed on. Tremendous throw and catch by Ryan and Letton. But back to lack of depth. By the beginning of the 4th quarter you could see a tired Boyle team take the field. In the 4th quarter it didn't take LC long to score at all when they had the ball. They had fresher players. I only saw 1 kid playing both ways for them. Boyle has 8. Boyle has 8 players playing both ways. With the exception of John Hardin in all of Boyle's losses they gave up big plays in the 4th quarter. Gassed. Period. It's not play calling. It's not the quarterback(who played a good game yesterday). They are too gassed to effectively play defense in the fourth quarter. Period.
Great photos!
You've got it right, Purple. This team has plenty of fight in them, but they can't finish. Period. 4 failed trips to the Redzone means that you should lose. Boyle should realize they were less than 20 yards from scoring 28 more points. Redzone Efficency has to be 100% in High School football.
When you are running the bone against 8 and 9 men in the box,and you can throw the ball with success,i'm gonna queston the play calling.i'll take a balanced offense any day over run only.
FBfan4life Wrote:And who have they played? At least with a winning record at the time they played Russell Co.? Mmmmm let me see

You'll see when there smoking an overrated Boyle and Lex Cath.
Jack Lambert Wrote:When you are running the bone against 8 and 9 men in the box,and you can throw the ball with success,i'm gonna queston the play calling.i'll take a balanced offense any day over run only.

If you remember, we used to do that back in '09 and '10. Used to work then. You have to run it before you can throw it. I also don't support the idea of nost believing in a coaching staff that has more rings than I do years on this Earth.
Jack Lambert Wrote:When you are running the bone against 8 and 9 men in the box,and you can throw the ball with success,i'm gonna queston the play calling.i'll take a balanced offense any day over run only.

I thought the offense was pretty balanced yesterday. On one of the td drives Boyle threw the ball exclusively all the way down the field and then Seph scored from 6 yards out. That was the second run of that drive. We also had a 3 and out in the early 4th quarter that was all pass as well. We had untimely drops and a few misfires but I thought we were balanced for the most part. I'd like to see the number of pass plays vs run plays last night.
You think it's smart coaching when you have the ball in your opponents half of the field on the first half with about 3 minutes to go and you basically go all run and let large chunks of the clock run off? Then on fourth and short you let your QB kick a 10 yard punt? They were NOT playing to score. They were playing to run out the clock. And that's pathetic.

And then with a lead, 5 minutes to go in the game, third and 6, you stay with the wishbone which wasn't working at all and gain a yard or so and punt it back to them?
FBfan4life Wrote:And who have they played? At least with a winning record at the time they played Russell Co.? Mmmmm let me see

I agree their schedule hasn't been much but the whipping they put on Whitley County makes believe they are an excellent team. That's a Whitley squad that played Bell County tough and beat Somerset. :Thumbs:
FBfan4life Wrote:All week we have been hearing that Catholic defense can not stop Boyle's ground and pound running attack. Well we should have started asking if Boyle could and did not stop the not so ground and pound attack by Catholic, but more of the quicker/ slasher attack and linemen that gashed the holes. And that's including the 2 long run that were called back. Defense tonight was just good enough. Anybody know the final starts?

Per Advocate Messenger:

BC LC
First downs 21 13
Rushes-yards 48-172 22-154
Passing 182 171
Total Net Yards 354 329
Comp-Att-Int 12-25-0 12-23-2
Fumbles-Lost 1-0 0-0
Penalties-Yards 6-35 10-95

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING—Boyle, Seph Burke 22-85, Lloyd Hall 17-53, Casey Whittle 5-15, Kyle Kephart 3-13, Austin Muntz 2-6. Lexington Catholic, Amoh Kumengisa 11-105, Kyle Bolin 2-26, Marcellis Logan 2-17, Malik Guidry 1-1, Reese Ryan 5-1.
PASSING—Boyle, Whittle 12-25-0-182. Lexington Catholic, Ryan 7-10-2-122, Bolin 5-13-0-49.
RECEIVING—Boyle, Hall 6-105, Josiah Robbins 3-30, Burke 1-22, Blake Mason 1-8, Kephart 1-8. Lexington Catholic, Sam Letton 2-50, David Bouvier 5-49, Kumengisa 3-33, Anthony Kersey 1-24, Casey Nash 1-15.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...7456.story
RebelPride12 Wrote:I thought the offense was pretty balanced yesterday. On one of the td drives Boyle threw the ball exclusively all the way down the field and then Seph scored from 6 yards out. That was the second run of that drive. We also had a 3 and out in the early 4th quarter that was all pass as well. We had untimely drops and a few misfires but I thought we were balanced for the most part. I'd like to see the number of pass plays vs run plays last night.

Looks like 25 passes and 48 rushes from the box score. Pretty balanced for High School. And even more so for a team like ours, who literally loves on running the football. I'm curious, did we run out of the Spread, or were most attempts out of the bone?

Looking at the box score, Boyle beat Lex. Cath in every facet of the game except scoring. Red. Zone. Offense. Is. Huge.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I disagree. Bolin out at the half. On his last drive, LC drove down the field in no time to score immediately after Boyle went up 7-0. No way of knowing for sure, but I think LC would have put Boyle out of their misery in the 2nd half with Bolin. He adds so much to the offense; the ability to pass deep, short, and run gives defenses fits. Boyle was gassed again and Bolin would've walked down the field in the 2nd half. [COLOR="royalblue"]LC's defense shut down Boyle several times with the run which is something Highlands couldn't do for the 1st half of their meeting. Plus, Highlands was down at half against Boyle and their defense allowed 24 in the 1st half alone. I think an LC/ Highlands matchup is much closer than you realize. [/COLOR]LC's backs are fast. it's a tI think oss up between CCH/LC. That would be a great game, IMO. With Bolin, the Birds would control the clock with the running agame and win. The only way to beat LC is by keeping Bolin off the field.

You have to remember that Boyle is lucky to meet HHS in game one when they were still testing a "lot" of guys on D. The second half they went to a more consistent set of players and even more set now. It is a much better team now then game one. In a rematch HHS blows them out of the water. And I have seen CCH and LC both play twice and CCH is much better team. I would say CCH beats LC by at least 2 scores. I do hope Bolin is OK and able to go the rest of the year!!!
Hearing torn acl. MRI monday to confirm. Really a shame. These kids spend 12 months a year working to play 10-15 games and I hate to see any of them lose even a single game to injury much less half a season. Hoping the doc's are wrong and he can salvage his sr. season. Good Luck Kyle. Good kid. Very good qb.
64black&gold Wrote:Hearing torn acl. MRI monday to confirm. Really a shame. These kids spend 12 months a year working to play 10-15 games and I hate to see any of them lose even a single game to injury much less half a season. Hoping the doc's are wrong and he can salvage his sr. season. Good Luck Kyle. Good kid. Very good qb.

The way he jumped right up after the play and ran off the field I think gives hope that it is not a torn ACL. I have never seen anybody with a torn ACL get up that quick, lets keep our fingers crossed that it is not that bad!
Watched this game from kickoff and my opinion is that the Rebel receivers need to make plays for their QB. The Rebel QB did miss several wide open players, but the WR's dropped passes the whole game. BC outplayed LC but could not catch a cold and that cost them the game.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

sstack Wrote:The way he jumped right up after the play and ran off the field I think gives hope that it is not a torn ACL. I have never seen anybody with a torn ACL get up that quick, lets keep our fingers crossed that it is not that bad!

When it happened I thought he had tweaked an ankle. But when I saw him on crutches, a brace and not putting any pressure on it, it looked more serious.

Ive always been a firm believer that it is MUCH easier to get hurt on turf than grass.
I played on turf a few times. I hated every second of it.
Considering most schools wont buy there player cleats made for turf, most schools use regular cleats and it is very simple get hung up on turf.

Obviouslt that wasnt the case here, but what happened on the play where he was injured?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive always been a firm believer that it is MUCH easier to get hurt on turf than grass.
I played on turf a few times. I hated every second of it.
Considering most schools wont buy there player cleats made for turf, most schools use regular cleats and it is very simple get hung up on turf.

Obviouslt that wasnt the case here, but what happened on the play where he was injured?

He tran 20+ yards to the right and was tackled. He got up and was limping, but did not go down. I thought it was an ankle the way he was limping.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:He tran 20+ yards to the right and was tackled. He got up and was limping, but did not go down. I thought it was an ankle the way he was limping.

He was not even touched by the D, looked like he could not decide if he wanted to dive or slide and went down a little ackward.
congrats to lexington catholic on the win... Boyle County had a really good chance at winning this game and let it slip by..
Looked like he couldn't decide whether to slide or dive and did a version of both. Or attempted to slide and had a cleat grab?? That would explain why it looked like a half slide half dive. Who knows. Just hate to see it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive been saying it since day one!

Russell County is the best team in that region!

I guess Knox don't get no respect from RIUTG so being 7-0 don't count for much!! Even after beating a very good Harlan Co team. Makes me wonder just how much you know about football!!!!:please: