Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Baker era @ Ashland
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Sorry, Badcat74. No intention to offend but merely to state the obvious. You boys are far too sensitive and are predictable in stating the usual Ashland line which is a good bit outdated. When I think of real tradition, I think of Louisville Trinity, Fort Thomas Highlands, Beechwood, Boyle County, Louisville St. Xavier, and a few more with recent championships. I just think Baker would get much more exposure at one of these, or LexCath, or CovCath, or Bowling Green, etc. than he'll get at Ashland. It could be the difference between Eastern Kentucky University and a big time school.

Again, no offense meant but you must be realistic and know your boys will not get past our northern Kentucky powers.

Noone is saying Ashland will beat any of those schools way to early for that with injuries and stuff that can happen. Also no one is saying Ashland routinely turns out D1 talent as much as highlands or trinity. But this thread is soley about quinton baker and the talent he as a individual has and that if he produces like he is capable of he will be as good as anyone.
What makes u tomcat fans think u will have him 4years? This kid played for bc, ashlnd, a school in wv and back to bc then back to ashland. That was all in 3 yrs of middle school.
Coupon21 Wrote:What makes u tomcat fans think u will have him 4years? This kid played for bc, ashlnd, a school in wv and back to bc then back to ashland. That was all in 3 yrs of middle school.

Maybe we will maybe we won't. But we're sure glad to have him this year. Sounds like he is really happy to be a tomcat. Plus Ashland is the premier program in eastern ky
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Noone is saying Ashland will beat any of those schools way to early for that with injuries and stuff that can happen. Also no one is saying Ashland routinely turns out D1 talent as much as highlands or trinity. But this thread is soley about quinton baker and the talent he as a individual has and that if he produces like he is capable of he will be as good as anyone.

Much more realistic post. Ashland doesn't routinely produce much in college talent. Therefore, we will all root for Baker to succeed. I just think he needs to succeed with a legitimate big time high school so that he has a better chance to go to a big time college. That is just being realistic.
Will his next move be to the Buckeye state?
:lame:
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Maybe we will maybe we won't. But we're sure glad to have him this year. Sounds like he is really happy to be a tomcat. Plus Ashland is the premier program in eastern ky

That is debatable.
And, to better explain my post #34, the level of coaching is usually superior at the big time high schools. Superior coaching plays a large part in the development of potential. If you have coached and developed top talent, you are more likely to do so again. If you really haven't particularly done so after a number of years, it isn't likely to happen now. This is another valid reason to transfer. You want to play in a big time atmosphere and play in big time games for big time coaches who have been there year after year.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:And, to better explain my post #34, the level of coaching is usually superior at the big time high schools. Superior coaching plays a large part in the development of potential. If you have coached and developed top talent, you are more likely to do so again. If you really haven't particularly done so after a number of years, it isn't likely to happen now. This is another valid reason to transfer. You want to play in a big time atmosphere and play in big time games for big time coaches who have been there year after year.

I am certainly not an Ashland fan,(matter of fact I cant stand them and their arrogant bunch of followers) but I believe that Coach Hart is the former long time offensive co-ordinator under Roy Kidd at EKU during their glory years. Hart's got a pretty good resume.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Maybe we will maybe we won't. But we're sure glad to have him this year. Sounds like he is really happy to be a tomcat. Plus Ashland is the premier program in eastern ky

Now that is a laughter if I ever heard one.
Bob Seger Wrote:I am certainly not an Ashland fan,(matter of fact I cant stand them and their arrogant bunch of followers) but I believe that Coach Hart is the former long time offensive co-ordinator under Roy Kidd at EKU during their glory years. Hart's got a pretty good resume.

Coach Hart does a tremendous job and he has elevated that football program.
Bob Seger Wrote:Now that is a laughter if I ever heard one.
Am I correct, Bob, that Ashland has won only one district title in the past 6 seasons? And tell me if I am mistaken, but I believe that another eastern Kentucky team that has played in the Tomcats' district during each of those 6 seasons has won 5 district titles.

Has West Virginia annexed Johnson County? Given the state titles that other eastern Kentucky teams have won during that period, it would be a stretch for Johnson Central to claim to be the premier team in eastern Kentucky, but an Ashland fan making that claim? :lmao:
FBALL Wrote:Coach Hart does a tremendous job and he has elevated that football program.
I agree. Coach Hart has done a solid job in Ashland. I believe that since Matney has been at JC and Hart at Ashland, three games have been decided in the final minute of the game.
No intention to slight Hart. It is a bit of a stretch to say he has done a "tremendous" job but he has done a "solid" job. Nonetheless, facts are facts.

By the way, I agree with Hoot Gibson that the top program over the last few years in that district is clearly Johnson Central. They just don't toot their own horns as much as some others.
Bob Seger Wrote:Now that is a laughter if I ever heard one.

I was including Johnson central in the mountain region not so much eastern but if your including them they are every bit the tomcats equal.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I was including Johnson central in the mountain region not so much eastern but if your including them they are every bit the tomcats equal.

I thought you both played in the same district.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I thought you both played in the same district.

We do cause there are not a lot of schools our size any closer. But it is still about a 50-60 mile trip south of Ashland. Johnson central is much closer to schools like belfry and prestonsburg than they are Ashland.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:We do cause there are not a lot of schools our size any closer. But it is still about a 50-60 mile trip south of Ashland. Johnson central is much closer to schools like belfry and prestonsburg than they are Ashland.

I'll go along with PBurg, but it takes longer to get to Belfry than it does to Ashland from Paintsville.
"What makes u tomcat fans think u will have him 4years? This kid played for bc, ashlnd, a school in wv and back to bc then back to ashland. That was all in 3 yrs of middle school."

If I'm not mistaken he started jfl in Ashland then played in Huntington then to Boyd, but all in jfl through the tristate football league. He never left the Ashland schools. He played at Ashland in 7th and changed schools to Boyd for personal reasons and came back to Ashland to finish 8th grade. It seems he is happy to be a tomcat.
A lot of you keep saying he has to play at a big time school to get noticed or developed, but again I ask, name for me the runners that have come out of Highlands, Trinity, St X, or any other big time school that has had a major impact in college, then went to the pro's. What about all these Sec backs that play for all those small high schools in the south, your telling me that they all play in big time atmosphers and are exposed to superior coaching. I dont think so, they have talent. If Baker has talent he will flourish no matter where he's at. Speed is speed, you can't teach that
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:No intention to slight Hart. It is a bit of a stretch to say he has done a "tremendous" job but he has done a "solid" job. Nonetheless, facts are facts.

By the way, I agree with Hoot Gibson that the top program over the last few years in that district is clearly Johnson Central. They just don't toot their own horns as much as some others.

I think he's do e a tremendous job. He has changed the entire football program there from JFL on up.

I'm no fan of the kittens but coach Hart is one of the best around.
FBALL Wrote:I think he's do e a tremendous job. He has changed the entire football program there from JFL on up.

I'm no fan of the kittens but coach Hart is one of the best around.

I'll stick with solid job. When he gets a team out of the region, I may change my mind. Of course, with our northern schools in the region, that isn't likely to happen. Beating Greenup County, Boyd County, and schools from lower classes year in and year out isn't "tremendous". They should beef up the schedule and quite scheduling puds. Ironton is an exception to that.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I'll stick with solid job. When he gets a team out of the region, I may change my mind. Of course, with our northern schools in the region, that isn't likely to happen. Beating Greenup County, Boyd County, and schools from lower classes year in and year out isn't "tremendous". They should beef up the schedule and quite scheduling puds. Ironton is an exception to that.

I agree about the schedule unfortunately Boyd,Greenup,and Rowan are district games.Russell,Belfry,George Washington, and Ironton aren't going anywhere. Raceland makes sense financially not so much as improving our program. So I would say drop Raceland an Lawrence and try to add schools like Bell co,Wheelersburg(oh)Huntington High(wv),Point pleasant(wv) or even Boyle or lex cath. Also maybe look into a neutral site serial to begin the season with some different teams around the state. But any combination for two games would make a much better schedule.
You need to keep Raceland. If you drop them we will never hear the end of it.
Checking Ashland's schedule back through the years, it is clear that they play a goodly number of schools of a lower class (1A, 2A, 3A) but they never play a school of a higher class (5A, 6A). You don't impress anyone playing smaller schools and your players don't improve playing lesser schools. On the other hand, it does allow your coach to run up a lot of cheap victories which make him and his program look good to the casual observer.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Checking Ashland's schedule back through the years, it is clear that they play a goodly number of schools of a lower class (1A, 2A, 3A) but they never play a school of a higher class (5A, 6A). You don't impress anyone playing smaller schools and your players don't improve playing lesser schools. On the other hand, it does allow your coach to run up a lot of cheap victories which make him and his program look good to the casual observer.

I agree paying a tougher schedule does nothing but make you better. I know in recent years we have reached out to some close Ohio teams an WV teams that were thought to be better than they turned out to be Waverly for example was not very good so we get Wv power George Washington. And have added a quality Belfry team and Ironton we've been playing for 50 yrs. I personally never likedthe raceland series nothing to gain everything to lose situation. That game just doesn't interest me its all about the money there raceland has a good following So does Ashland its the fact we just don't get better for playing that game, same for lawrence Co not been a good series for us last few years. Ashland. Needs to strive to put 2 more quality teams on our schedule. IMO
just for the record just because a team comes 6hrs. Away doesnt make them a quality football team. Some teams put these far away teams on there schedule? Not sure why this is suppose to impress, I guess they sounds exotic most are not. There are plenty of quality teams around couple hours or less that can be pursued as possible opponents.
FBALL Wrote:You need to keep Raceland. If you drop them we will never hear the end of it.
Beat them consistently and you can drop them. Sorry couldn't resist all in good fun.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I agree about the schedule unfortunately Boyd,Greenup,and Rowan are district games.Russell,Belfry,George Washington, and Ironton aren't going anywhere. Raceland makes sense financially not so much as improving our program. So I would say drop Raceland an Lawrence and try to add schools like Bell co,Wheelersburg(oh)Huntington High(wv),Point pleasant(wv) or even Boyle or lex cath. Also maybe look into a neutral site serial to begin the season with some different teams around the state. But any combination for two games would make a much better schedule.

Actually Ashland came to Boyle in maybe '88? Sometime in that era. It was when Boyle's program was in shambles and the Tomcats were in a great era of talent and ability. Ashland thumped Boyle very badly if I recall.

Don't think they've played since then.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Checking Ashland's schedule back through the years, it is clear that they play a goodly number of schools of a lower class (1A, 2A, 3A) but they never play a school of a higher class (5A, 6A). You don't impress anyone playing smaller schools and your players don't improve playing lesser schools. On the other hand, it does allow your coach to run up a lot of cheap victories which make him and his program look good to the casual observer.

Agree 200% the schedule has gotten better since coach hart took over in 2003 but still isn't where it needs to be. Like badcat said Waverly was supposed to be loaded with a qb going to Toledo and all kinds of speed at wideout but it simply wasn't true and Ashland embarrassed them and dropped them. Lawrence was 12-0 a few years ago but there program didnt sustain that level with coaching changes and such. George Washington was the best team not named Covington catholic Ashland has played. I think most would agree belfry and Ironton traditionally out perform there enrollment. And Russell is to heated of a rivalry to ever be dropped. I realistically think Ashland should schedule lex cath,Bryan station,bell co, perry county etc... All these schools are within a three hours or so and provide a significant improvement in competition.
Hatz Wrote:Actually Ashland came to Boyle in maybe '88? Sometime in that era. It was when Boyle's program was in shambles and the Tomcats were in a great era of talent and ability. Ashland thumped Boyle very badly if I recall.

Don't think they've played since then.

Only time I can remember was either my sophomore/junior year 84 or 85 we played them once an best I can remember it was a beat down. But they've came along way since then. Would like to see that happen soon.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:What does a Sheldon Clark alum know about football or evaluating football talent? Geez as bad as I hate to say it since Matney left Inez, Sheldon Clark's program has been nothing but preseason hype and post season crying of what should've been. Mark my word Baker will star in Coach Hart's system.

What has Ashland accomplished in the that time period since Matney has left Sheldon Clark. A 6-7 playoff record? That's not quite elite status for a school that's the premier program in Eastern, KY. Hell, you might not even be the premier program in a 20 minute radius, let alone within EKY. Belfry has had that on wraps for a few years now. The Ashland relevance of the past, no longer stands. Get up with the times.