Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Pa. coal-fired power plants to close
vector Wrote:just the facts
Thanks for the RV type response. Did you look at the charts or just post them for informational purposes? To me, the charts seem to confirm that the Obama administration is at war with the coal industry - but there are so many disclaimers contained among the charts that they seem needlessly difficult to interpret.

The Sierra Club certainly seems satisfied that Obama has been doing their bidding. As a coal miner, are you satisfied with how the coal industry is faring under Obama or are you concerned about the coal fired power plants Obama is closing in response to pressure from groups like the Sierra Club?

[INDENT]
Quote:The Nation's 100th Coal-Fired Power Plant Retirement

Today the Sierra Club and lovers of clean air nationwide reached a major milestone for public health. Sierra Club's Beyond Coal campaign joined with allies to mark the 100th coal plant retirement announced since January 2010.

The Crawford coal plant in Chicago became the 100th coal plant to set plans to retire. This Midwest Gen-owned plant is one of nine coal-fired plants from Chicago to Pennsylvania that announced plans to retire today. You can learn more about the Chicago plants in my column from earlier today, and about the seven GenOn plants being retired in this press release.

City by city, town by town, communities are standing up and saying no to coal, and saying yes to clean energy. This milestone demonstrates that a shift is well underway across the country, and we will not power our future with the energy sources of the 19th century. The Beyond Coal campaign's goal is to retire one third of America's polluting coal plants by the year 2020 and replacing that power with clean energy like wind, solar, and energy efficiency.
[/INDENT]
i don't like the Sierra Club because natural gas is there bigest sponsor

but just look how our weather is changing the violent storms

we are having it's time the power plant's clean there act up

george bush in 1992 told them to put scrubbers in some did

others still have not
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks for the RV type response. Did you look at the charts or just post them for informational purposes? To me, the charts seem to confirm that the Obama administration is at war with the coal industry - but there are so many disclaimers contained among the charts that they seem needlessly difficult to interpret.

The Sierra Club certainly seems satisfied that Obama has been doing their bidding. As a coal miner, are you satisfied with how the coal industry is faring under Obama or are you concerned about the coal fired power plants Obama is closing in response to pressure from groups like the Sierra Club?

[INDENT][/INDENT]
Am I in your discussion with him? If not, leave me out of it. Dusty used to post tons of links to stories with no discussion on them. Posting a link, in no way, makes you have to have an opinion one way or the other.
TheRealVille Wrote:Am I in your discussion with him? If not, leave me out of it. Dusty used to post tons of links to stories with no discussion on them. Posting a link, in no way, makes you have to have an opinion one way or the other.
Don't be a hypocrite, RV, by pretending that you never mention me in posts in responses that don't involve me. I believe that you made a "backhanded" reference to me within the past couple of days. Dusty is a moderator and an infrequent participant in this forum. You are not a moderator and never will be on this site unless you buy it.

If you have no opinion on this subject, then feel free to ignore it - but if you start a thread you should be willing to take some sort of stand on the subject.
vector Wrote:i don't like the Sierra Club because natural gas is there bigest sponsor

but just look how our weather is changing the violent storms

we are having it's time the power plant's clean there act up

george bush in 1992 told them to put scrubbers in some did

others still have not
Bush never directed all power plants to install scrubbers because all of them did not require scrubbers to meet emissions standards. The scrubbers were required for plants that did not burn "compliance coal." Obama's EPA has changed the rules by tightening the emissions standards without any change in the law under which the EPA promulgates regulations. The EPA's declaration that carbon dioxide is a pollutant was ludicrous.

So, let's be clear, are you saying that as a coal miner, that Obama should be closing coal fired power generating plants by making them less competitive with natural gas and other energy sources? If so, you seem to be on the same page as the Sierra Club on this issue.
I have always wondered why you gave up the lucrative career of a mining engineer for the lesser computer programming option. If I'm not badly mistaken, the engineer makes quit a few more bucks that your average computer guy. If I was guessing, I would say you did the best option. Those big coal miners wouldn't put up with your smart mouth. It's a safe bet you would be horizontal more than vertical.
TheRealVille Wrote:I have always wondered why you gave up the lucrative career of a mining engineer for the lesser computer programming option. If I'm not badly mistaken, the engineer makes quit a few more bucks that your average computer guy. If I was guessing, I would say you did the best option. Those big coal miners wouldn't put up with your smart mouth. It's a safe bet you would be horizontal more than vertical.
My career choices are none of your business. I am not an average "computer guy." Stick with the topic.
TheRealVille Wrote:I have always wondered why you gave up the lucrative career of a mining engineer for the lesser computer programming option. If I'm not badly mistaken, the engineer makes quit a few more bucks that your average computer guy. If I was guessing, I would say you did the best option. Those big coal miners wouldn't put up with your smart mouth. It's a safe bet you would be horizontal more than vertical.

the biggest reasons i think people quit the private workforce to work in
the state and federal government is they could not cut it or they get some
age on them and see they have no retirment or medical insurance so the
taxpayers will pick up there tab
vector Wrote:the biggest reasons i think people quit the private workforce to work in
the state and federal government is they could not cut it or they get some
age on them and see they have no retirment or medical insurance so the
taxpayers will pick up there tab
I agree with you. That is the biggest reason. I have no desire to work for the federal or state government. BTW, who taught you to write? I would demand a refund of my tax dollars if I were you. Or do you have a defective keyboard?
i don't claim to be the brighest bulb on the tree
vector Wrote:i don't claim to be the brighest bulb on the tree
:Thumbs:
Define irony--- a group of down to earth working folks, arguing for the policies of the present administration, some of them coal miners and some of them construction workers but, good Democrats all. So here is what I find absurd on the face of their support.

First; Obama is doing his dead level best to close as many coal fired electrical generating plants as he can possibly manage to close by using EPA as a straw man to do the dirty work. Closing said generating stations will totally torpedo the coal industry, not to mention those who have likely worked in these stations for their whole life, except for the coal heading for foreign lands. (I guess folks in the Sierra Club don't mind too much if Russia belches out raw emmissions into the atmosphere?). Thereby putting the economic futures of many coal miners in doubt since the present administration's clearly laid out goal is to ELIMINATE the coal fired plants. Closing said generating stations will cause the price of electricity to "SKYROCKET". The last time I saw a skyrocket it zipped up into the upper atmosphere so fast the human eye could barely trace it's path as it vanished into oblivion. Would a "SKYROCKETING" electric bill hurt coal miners in a depressed coal market as much as it would other Americans?

Second; The Democrats are the party, as mentioned above, that supposedly represent working folks, hourly workers. If this is the case, why are the folks that don't work the 'new darlings' of the Dems? The government gifts consist of food stamps, housing, medical care, utility aid programs, transportation, cell phones, free college (if you make less than $25,000 you go to the head of line on Uncle Sam's dime). As I have mentioned recently, 73% of all black babies, and 53% of all white babies born in the US last year were born out of wedlock. The government advocates cradle to grave entitlements for unmarried Moms & Dads and their unfortunate offspring. These are the folks who help to make the huge desparity between the income level of the so called rich and that of the average American. All of the millions of unproductive Americans help to make up the bulk of the much ballyhooed 99 percenters. You won't hear anything about these facts at this years Democratic Convention, I can assure one and all of that. Those who act the most irresponsibly among us get their depravities subsidized by state and federal government entitlement programs, all funded by people with jobs. Literally the rest of our whole nation is held hostage by the convictions of the liberal Democrats that we somehow owe folks that don't work, a dignified lifestyle free of charge. And, ANY that would question the morality of liberals are scorned as selfish, rich, right wingers. My question would be which one is it? Are the Dems the party of the working class or, are they the party of the those who do not work? The answer is, as I have suggested before that the Dems will do anything for a vote. They provide entitlements and those recieving these government 'gifts' dutifully reciprocate by voting Democratic. Speaking out of both sides of one's mouth used to be reviled as deceptive by an honest American voting public. Now what could never be justified in a moral sense is just written off as rich men's bias by the liberal propanda machine. Bias, of course is a self perpetuating engine that can persist in the face of any amount of proof offered to the contrary, because bias, a form of hate, exists in spite of truth.

The irony is those who support the Dems do so at their own disadvantage. Closed coal mines don't employ anybody. Further, how can one say they represent those that work for a living while promising to take care of those who do not work forever?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Any takers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Still no one willing to shed some light? IMO working folks are being played for fools by the Dems who use them for votes and a tax cash cow. They have backed up on oil, (Canadian Pipe Line), The true unemployment rate is 19%, but while the White House is celebrating the addition of 243,000 new jobs in January, they conveniently neglect to mention the 1.2 million job seekers who stopped looking for work in that same month. They talk about creating new jobs while hundreds of thousands are idled as the result of the energy policies intentionally engineered to close down generating stations, and coal mines, while refineries stand idle, oil rigs stand idle, known oil rich regions remain the hostage of the snail darter worshipper, nuclear energy has been throttled and last but not least, you watch and see natural gas drilling and fracking will become regulated and burdensome and permits will dry up. I will agree though, when it comes to wind power, if anyone can blow us into the green zone it's gonna be Obama. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vector Wrote:i don't claim to be the brighest bulb on the tree

Yeah, but a flicker every now and then would be a major step forward.:biggrin:
Down on Mainstreet but thinking of Going to Katmandu

more like beautiful loser