Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 71 Shelby Valley 60
I kept the stats for Coach Booher for a couple of years. I haven't kept stats at all for the past couple of seasons. Like New O said I do enjoy it, but I don't do it anymore. Again I was just going by what they said on the radio. They said those were the stats according to their stats and those of Belfry's statkeeper.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I wasn't at the game. I was listening on the radio. In the 2nd half, they kept saying "Belter with another block". I know midway through the 3rd, they said he had 4 blocks in just that quarter alone. That is way off though. I would go with the team statkeepers over the radio though because it would be pretty hard to miss 6 blocks. One maybe, but not 6. Lol

Thx Coach haha......I just trust you! Keep up the good work with the boys at Dorton!

My bad on that one! I listened to the radio also.
mountainsportsmagic Wrote:LOL Justice at KCC? Check your stats! With no pun toward phelps, but big wins?So, HH was you on last years regional championship team? Or did you play Jr. high ball under coach Newsome? Just wondering?

Yes, a very under manned Phelps team have beaten an SV team at HOME...thats a big accomplishment for a small Phelps school itself. and Yes, my stats are correct Justice has 3 regional championships, Thanks I don't need your help.

and as far as my personal life, thats none of your business :welcome:
Wasn't taking anything from those coaches or programs! Phelps plays hard, I've stated that before. Justice won those titles in the early 90's, and is an assistant at KCC now. I just feel there is so much more parity in the 15th. On any given day any of the top 7-9 teams could win. Out of those top 9 can all win the region? No. I do feel there is 4-5 who can. My top 5 would be SC, JC, Pikeville,BL, and Magoffin. The second tier would be SV, ER, Belfry. I can't wait for tourney time!
^We agree then! But as Valley showed last year, a lot of heart will take you a looooooooong way.
I can agree with that! Last years SV team had several role players, who each played with alot of heart. That coupled with their experience, and good coaching i.e. scoring off several inbound plays in the region title game! Makes for a good combination.
Just take in accord this, the state championship team, the JV was good that year too! So, you couldn't have counted those boys out last year, however this years boys is a whole different group. For the fact that, Cody Bentley and Lucas were the only ones that practiced everyday with a state championship squad.

But that doesn't even matter!

Goodluck Wildcats as you start district play next week! also, goodluck to Coach Newsome and Coach Rowe! even though I do not agree on all things .....All SV dwellers bleed blue!..
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:and I've never heard coach Newsome say a positive thing as a coach in his life lol....I should know, I played under him.

Coach Newsome is 2 years removed from being an assistant on a STATE TITLE WINNING TEAM and your calling for change! If you are looking for compliments or positives from your coach I would say either you did not earn them or perhaps you do not know the coach as well as you think you do.
foriegn flatlander Wrote:Coach Newsome is 2 years removed from being an assistant on a STATE TITLE WINNING TEAM and your calling for change! If you are looking for compliments or positives from your coach I would say either you did not earn them or perhaps you do not know the coach as well as you think you do.

I thought this arguement was done lol

a good Coach is positive to all his players not just the good ones!
However, this can be turned around........If you coach a team and are a 2 year head coach, I think YOU have to EARN the respect of your players.
andddddddddd for the record me saying "something needs to change" does NOT mean get rid of the coach. It simply means he needs to change things up a bit! :insane:
I agree, we cant compare a State championship team with a region championship team. Tho, the experience some of last yrs kids got from practicing with that bunch was a huge boost. Just as the experience these kids this year received from making it back to Rupp last year.
I said my peice on the Pikeville Valley Thread! But I dont care to repeat myself here also. We won a state championship two years ago, no excuse for this season unless you are a coach. Then the excuse is you dont have the talent we had then. True you dont. But that doesnt mean you dont try with this squad. Alot of bad coaches do that, they sit and wait for a really talented group to come along then start coaching again. Well that state team will likely not come along for another decade but we should be top of the region every year. The kids have to know you care, your interested in them as a person and and athlete, that you are working and doing your best for the them in order for them to do it for you. Because if the coach doesnt try, the team will not try, and if the coach blames, the team will blame, if a coach makes excuses, the team will make excuses. It takes a big commitment to be a coach, to do what you can for every team and every player, every day and not just the most talented when you have a good group, and a commitment to share in losses and wins and not to just blame kids. More kids have quit bassketball this year than any other in the past 10 years, what does that tell you? And a few more would have if we the parents had let them. But next year if there is not a change I wont blame mine for not going out. From State to barely winning the region (with what was left of boohers team), to not even making the region, in two seasons is rediculous. Newsome without a doubt has a great bball mind, but the kids do not like or respect him and rightly so, and that will keep us from ever being on top again.
mountainsportsmagic Wrote:I can agree with that! Last years SV team had several role players, who each played with alot of heart. That coupled with their experience, and good coaching i.e. scoring off several inbound plays in the region title game! Makes for a good combination.

coaching is more than plays. you can download princtons 2005 playbook off the internet.
Cals Pal Wrote:From State to barely winning the region (with what was left of boohers team), to not even making the region, in two seasons is rediculous.

I'm not going to get into you guys' discussion about whether Greg Newsome is a good coach or whether his players respect him. But your statement I have quoted here is truly "ridiculous".

What has happened at SV the last two seasons was not unexpected. Anyone who has watched this team for the last several years could see this coming a mile away. You have to remember that Valley lost their top 8 players from that state title team, including a senior starting 5 that was a once-in-a-generation kind of group. We may never see that collection of talent at SV, all at the same time, ever again.

The point is that it was INEVITABLE that the bottom would drop out the next year. SV had no business winning region last year, and it is a testament to the heart that Valley's players showed during that miracle run through the post-season that they were able to hang regional banner #7 up in the rafters. That was easily the biggest surprise 15th regional champ in decades. But to say that we should EXPECT Valley to win region this year is to simply ignore the talent differential from two years ago. Are Belter, Richardson, Newsome, etc. talented players? Yes they are. But they aren't exactly Justice, Hatfield, Newsome, and company. At least not yet.

The true mark of a coach is what he does with the talent on hand. A BAD coach can have the most talented team, but never wins because his players underachieve when it matters the most. A GOOD coach takes a team that may not be the most talented, but gets the most out of them and wins games they should not be winning.

Again, I'm not necessarily saying that Greg is or isn't a great coach. What I am saying is that based on what I have seen in person of this Shelby Valley team, it should not be considered underachieving if this squad does not make it out district. Now, if this team is not contending for region 2-3 years from now, then we have a problem.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cals Pal Wrote:I said my peice on the Pikeville Valley Thread! But I dont care to repeat myself here also. We won a state championship two years ago, no excuse for this season unless you are a coach. Then the excuse is you dont have the talent we had then. True you dont. But that doesnt mean you dont try with this squad. Alot of bad coaches do that, they sit and wait for a really talented group to come along then start coaching again. Well that state team will likely not come along for another decade but we should be top of the region every year. The kids have to know you care, your interested in them as a person and and athlete, that you are working and doing your best for the them in order for them to do it for you. Because if the coach doesnt try, the team will not try, and if the coach blames, the team will blame, if a coach makes excuses, the team will make excuses. It takes a big commitment to be a coach, to do what you can for every team and every player, every day and not just the most talented when you have a good group, and a commitment to share in losses and wins and not to just blame kids. More kids have quit bassketball this year than any other in the past 10 years, what does that tell you? And a few more would have if we the parents had let them. But next year if there is not a change I wont blame mine for not going out. From State to barely winning the region (with what was left of boohers team), to not even making the region, in two seasons is rediculous. Newsome without a doubt has a great bball mind, but the kids do not like or respect him and rightly so, and that will keep us from ever being on top again.

Care to explain? Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Is it because "WE ARE SHELBY VALLEY"?

If ya don't have the horses ya can't make a run, and Valley just has too many young colts this year. They may develop into studs but they aren't as of now.
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm not going to get into you guys' discussion about whether Greg Newsome is a good coach or whether his players respect him. But your statement I have quoted here is truly "ridiculous".

What has happened at SV the last two seasons was not unexpected. Anyone who has watched this team for the last several years could see this coming a mile away. You have to remember that Valley lost their top 8 players from that state title team, including a senior starting 5 that was a once-in-a-generation kind of group. We may never see that collection of talent at SV, all at the same time, ever again.

The point is that it was INEVITABLE that the bottom would drop out the next year. SV had no business winning region last year, and it is a testament to the heart that Valley's players showed during that miracle run through the post-season that they were able to hang regional banner #7 up in the rafters. That was easily the biggest surprise 15th regional champ in decades. But to say that we should EXPECT Valley to win region this year is to simply ignore the talent differential from two years ago. Are Belter, Richardson, Newsome, etc. talented players? Yes they are. But they aren't exactly Justice, Hatfield, Newsome, and company. At least not yet.

The true mark of a coach is what he does with the talent on hand. A BAD coach can have the most talented team, but never wins because his players underachieve when it matters the most. A GOOD coach takes a team that may not be the most talented, but gets the most out of them and wins games they should not be winning.

Again, I'm not necessarily saying that Greg is or isn't a great coach. What I am saying is that based on what I have seen in person of this Shelby Valley team, it should not be considered underachieving if this squad does not make it out district. Now, if this team is not contending for region 2-3 years from now, then we have a problem.

Nopt trying to take anything away from last years SV squad, but I'll say what most posters on here won't admit. Its also a testament to how bad Pike County/15th Region basketball has become. The top 5 teams in this region couldn't come within 15 points of the Top 5 from 10 years ago or even 5 yrs.
What has happened to Valley they was doing pretty good at the beggining of the year, what happened? What has changed?
BoondockSaint Wrote:Care to explain? Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Is it because "WE ARE SHELBY VALLEY"?

If ya don't have the horses ya can't make a run, and Valley just has too many young colts this year. They may develop into studs but they aren't as of now.

IF they stick around and don't quit or leave.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:IF they stick around and don't quit or leave.

Who all have the lost this season?
BoondockSaint Wrote:Care to explain? Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Is it because "WE ARE SHELBY VALLEY"?

I agree. You can't expect to go out and win region every year simply because of the "Shelby Valley" on the front of the chest.

If one looks at this Valley team with an objective eye, then the only conclusion to moe to is that SV is not a regional contender. There is talent, but it is very young. It is unreasonable to expect talented underclassmen to be able to consistently beat other teams with equally talented upperclassmen.

Valley is in a bit of a lull, but the upswing is coming soon. The core of the team is freshmen and sophomores, and when you add in several talented 7th and 8th graders coming up, expectations will be (and should be) high again in a couple of years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree. You can't expect to go out and win region every year simply because of the "Shelby Valley" on the front of the chest.

If one looks at this Valley team with an objective eye, then the only conclusion to moe to is that SV is not a regional contender. There is talent, but it is very young. It is unreasonable to expect talented underclassmen to be able to consistently beat other teams with equally talented upperclassmen.

Valley is in a bit of a lull, but the upswing is coming soon. The core of the team is freshmen and sophomores, and when you add in several talented 7th and 8th graders coming up, expectations will be (and should be) high again in a couple of years.

Besides Rowe who have they got coming up?
BoondockSaint Wrote:Nopt trying to take anything away from last years SV squad, but I'll say what most posters on here won't admit. Its also a testament to how bad Pike County/15th Region basketball has become. The top 5 teams in this region couldn't come within 15 points of the Top 5 from 10 years ago or even 5 yrs.

I'll agree that the 15th region as a whole was about as weak last year as it's ever been. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that a team that was probably about 7th or 8th in the region in terms of talent, was able to win the title through mostly heart and determination.

I will not take away one drop of credit given to last year's SV team. They earned it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree. You can't expect to go out and win region every year simply because of the "Shelby Valley" on the front of the chest.

AGAIN, IF they stick around......and I beg the differ, that VALLEY means something even before, when Rowe was coach we didn't have this bad of a record in 10 years.
A coach is a teacher......IDK but I had Greg in class lol, and it was a joke.
basketballman Wrote:Besides Rowe who have they got coming up?

Rowe?!......look at the boys for Dorton that just won the county!....Swindell and company!
basketballman Wrote:Besides Rowe who have they got coming up?

Virgie may have been down some this year, but Dorton actually won the 8th grade county tournament. I believe that their main guys were Hunter Swindall (8th) and Lamont Wright (7th), in addition to several other talented players.

Someone connected with Dorton's program, such as DortonWildcat5, could probably tell you much more than me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Virgie may have been down some this year, but Dorton actually won the 8th grade county tournament. I believe that their main guys were Hunter Swindall (8th) and Lamont Wright (7th), in addition to several other talented players.

Someone connected with Dorton's program, such as DortonWildcat5, could probably tell you much more than me.

Cowbell, I have agreed with you on every thread I've seen. You are a very respectful Mod but I just don't see eye to eye with you on this......last year's team 7th or 8th in the region talent wise?....Like I said before the JV(Rusty and company) were a very good JV team and only lost once? in JV play during 2010.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:AGAIN, IF they stick around......and I beg the differ, that VALLEY means something even before, when Rowe was coach we didn't have this bad of a record in 10 years.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly. Valley was really good 10 years ago not because of the name on the jersey, but because they had good players like the Akers boys. You can't do it without talent.

How much did that "Valley" across the chest help back in the late 90's when Valley had a losing record and couldn't make it out of the first round of district? Again, you have to have the players. SV has some talent, but it is simply too young to expect them to win the region this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ok, now you're just getting smart***......the kids don't want to play for him, just as the parent above expressed.