Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owsley County 67 - Cordia 58
is Grove for Owsley gonna be back before Jan. 13th or is he gonna be out longer?
wall2wall, Rhodes is not going to turn the situation around for two reasons: 1. He created the situation. 2. He does not have the talent at Cordia to do any more than what they are doing. What Rhodes should have done if he wanted to take the position as head coach at Cordia is to come in and be straight up honest with them. He should have said, Hey I want to coach and I'll give it 110% and do the best I can do with the team. He should have waited until he got his team in gym and seen what he had to work with before making any promises of what he was going to acheive with them. For that matter, he should have sought out information about the teams he had to face before making any promises. He had no idea what kind of teams KCC or PCC had, or even Jenkins for that matter. He wasn't from here. He needed scouting reports and videos of some of the games before he could have possibly known what he could do. When he got his team in the gym, he should have locked the door and had closed practices only. He should not have discussed his team with anyone off of his coaching staff and he should have dared his players and the few others privy to information to get on any internet site talking about it. He should have set realistic goals based on what he had to work with and then if they over acheived great. But setting these kids up the way he did was irresponsible. He did it because he bought into his own fantasy just like they did. He honestly thought that just because he was Rodrick Rhodes that he could take any team regardless of skill and turn them into a state tournament team. If he cared so much about those boys, he would not have made all his big plans so public so that when they fell on their faces everyone across the state would see it and make fun of them.

If Rhodes or anyone else wants a team at Cordia who can compete with the big guys they will have to get it just like everyone else. They will have to build a program. As bad as it sounds, they will have to forget these high school kids because it's too late to make a team with them. They need to get a strong coach for grade school. They will have to drop down to second or third grade at the oldest. Start working with those kids. Start recruiting kids that seem to be athletic at that age. Bring them up living and breathing basketball their entire lives, year round. Then when they reach high school, Cordia will have a team. If the boys don't have the skills before they reach high school it's too late. Of course someone will name an exception, because you can always come up with an exception. But that will hold true the majority of the time.
I agree with you 110%.

That is what Dook Combs did when Cordia had there best teams of the 90s. Dook coached the high school, and the grade school. When the grade schoolers got in high school, they were a top 5 team in region every year, I forgot which year it was but one of those years you could argue they were the best in the region. Rhodes needs to work with his young players if he wants to have a good team in the future.

They do have a good 7th grader in Austin Combs. He is a good friend ofmine and trust me the kid can ball.
WALL2WALL Wrote:I agree with you 110%.

That is what Dook Combs did when Cordia had there best teams of the 90s. Dook coached the high school, and the grade school. When the grade schoolers got in high school, they were a top 5 team in region every year, I forgot which year it was but one of those years you could argue they were the best in the region. Rhodes needs to work with his young players if he wants to have a good team in the future.

They do have a good 7th grader in Austin Combs. He is a good friend ofmine and trust me the kid can ball.

I agree with you about the Combs kid. I have not watched Cordia play this year. I did watch last year when Combs was getting varsity play time as a 6th grader. I was very impressed with him and have told many people that he will be a real player, but they need to get him somewhere else. The boys in his age group there a Cordia will not offer him any help and no one player will ever be able to beat a KCC, PCC, LCC or Hazard all by himself. He has to have a team. If was Combs' parents I would be pulling him out of Cordia today and get him moved somewhere where he will have a really strong middle school coach. Get him in line to play next year for one of the high schools with a good program going. I think he is good enough to play for any of the top teams in the region. If they leave him at Cordia, he will spend the next 5 years getting pounded and all his talent will be wasted.
I can honestly say Rhodes is having to deal with what every other coach at Cordia has had to deal with, except Denny and Honeycutt both were good enough to keep the team together. As far as those players quiting, those boys did not deserve anything. I know two of them and they are punks and thugs and extremely overrated. Warm ups are not given, I don't see why they didn't get the shoes but I can understand how he was feeling and what emotions the guy must be going through. Only one guy in the Cordia program was truthful to him about the team, a lot of Cordia people blew smoke up his a$$.

Best thing he could of done was told these players not to come out for the team, b/c they are a huge part of why this team fell apart. Can't be selfish in basketball, and two of these boys tried to fight the Texas boys b/c they wasn't getting to shoot it.

Rhodes could be like a Coach Cal recruit, One And Done!!! lol

Game tonight against KCC will be a blow out, but not as bad b/c I don't think KCC will keep their starters in and run up the score.
^Agree 110%. Sit back and look what school needs a point guard. If I was Austin Combs I would go to Hazard or Letcher b/c PCC and KCC have their point guards.
The first suspension he actually was ejected, which as a result, he then decided to take the team off the floor. But he was ejected. And the assisstant coach did have a fallout with Rhodes but had no intentions at all of leaving because of it. He had simply stepped down and wasn't going to be on the sideline coaching anymore. But he was staying to allow his boys to continue to play and continue his job at the school. As far as I know, he hadn't put in a two weeks notice but rather he received a letter telling him he was terminated. Id be really interested to see just what the reasons were. Without a job at the school, he had to leave.
Well, to make sure you are not giving the wrong information, I have to correct something. The "assisstant coach" that we talk about wasn't even an assisstant coach, rather he only kept the team stats.
^i know about 4 groups of parents at that game. Bench got technical foul for something a student in the crowd said. Rhodes was not ejected by no ref, he just got up and took the team off the floor. If you get ejected is an automatic 3 game suspension. That's the reason he only got a 2 game suspension because he was never ejected from the game
Taking your team off the floor is a big no-no in the eyes fo the KHSAA.
Just a "mess" at Cordia....
calipari4prez Wrote:Well, to make sure you are not giving the wrong information, I have to correct something. The "assisstant coach" that we talk about wasn't even an assisstant coach, rather he only kept the team stats.
Actually he was the 8th grade coach. Miss information and gossip lol!!!!
Larry Williams (the man who went back to Texas with his boys) was NEVER Coach Rhodes' assistant. He only kept stats. He was the grade school coach however.