Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coaches in the Mountains?
ekff Wrote:I'll tell u what, its not about how many wins u get because Holland has been at Perry and Hazard and they don't play against easy teams every game. If Holland wanted to get 25-30 wins a game he could.

But it's about coaching!

Coach Holland has 9 Regional Championship you won't find a coach in the mountain that can beat that.

Oh yea because winning any region in the mountains is really hard to do.
Mountain basketball is a joke almosst every year.

And i didnt say nothing about region titles.
He brought up all time wins. Well, like it or not Hatcher hasnt got the most wins, and Holland prolly doesnt either.
Add em up.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Oh yea because winning any region in the mountains is really hard to do.
Mountain basketball is a joke almosst every year.

And i didnt say nothing about region titles.
He brought up all time wins. Well, like it or not Hatcher hasnt got the most wins, and Holland prolly doesnt either.
Add em up.

Regional Titles is what it's about.. So you would like a Coach to win 20+ games a year and never win a regional title?

Coaches keep coaches by winning titles.. And ad for your mountain basketball sucks... This thread is about mountain coaches.
^ In the Notre Dame you hate on ND becUse they haven't won a title in forever but they do have wins... And here your saying it's about wins and not regional titles... Hmm
But Actually I do believe Allen Hatcher is leader in active coaches in the mountains with 564!!!
I believe I said, "the winningest basketball coach in the mountains". Al Holland has never coached outside the mountains, and has 9 regional championships at three different schools, MCNapier, Perry Central, and Hazard, and I believe the majority of those banners are hanging at PCC. Hatcher is a good coach, but he has one regional championship at PCC.
gls1978 Wrote:Dinky Phipps! From barbourville Always does good with the little school

It would be scary to see what Dinky could accomplish if he were at a big school like say a South Laurel or Harlan County. There's no better coach in the mountains imo.
I think Mike Jones has 537 wins with a 10-1 record this year.
Hatcher has more, I think, but most of those were in western Kentucky.
Phipps is a great coach, but it's not exactly true that he's limited by being at a small school. He's had dozens of very good players from the Knox County school system come through there through the years, especially on some of his best teams.
I agree, with HDE Barbourville has had some pretty good players over the years. The Tigers have two of the best 5 or 6 players in the region this year.
ekff Wrote:Regional Titles is what it's about.. So you would like a Coach to win 20+ games a year and never win a regional title?

Coaches keep coaches by winning titles.. And ad for your mountain basketball sucks... This thread is about mountain coaches.

Hell no. I didnt say that.
He simply asked who had the most wins.
Why cant you understand that?
Nothing was ever mentioned about region titles, period.
Of course id rather have a region over wins, but thats not what we were talking about, and how did Holland come into the picture? Were talking about Hatcher at PCC and his wins there.....and what does coaches keep coaches by winning titles mean?

And yes, Notre Dame sucks ass. There overrated and there glory days are over but that has nothing to do with this thread, please keep it on track.

Read the post before you post.
HDE Wrote:I think Mike Jones has 537 wins with a 10-1 record this year.
Phipps is a great coach, but it's not exactly true that he's limited by being at a small school. He's had dozens of very good players from the Knox County school system come through there through the years, especially on some of his best teams.

Thats what i was trying to say as well.
Were talking about mountain basketball just as EKFF said, so i assumed were talking about wins at mountain schools.
Hatcher is a LONG WAY from being the winningest coach at a mountain school thus not making him the most winningest Eastern KY coach ever.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats what i was trying to say as well.
Were talking about mountain basketball just as EKFF said, so i assumed were talking about wins at mountain schools.
Hatcher is a LONG WAY from being the winningest coach at a mountain school thus not making him the most winningest Eastern KY coach ever.
It doesn't matter where Hatcher got his wins, they're still wins. And now he is coaching in the mountains, so that makes him a mountain coach.
^
True, but thats not what that guy said.
Once again, read the post.
What about Jr. Newsome at Betsy Layne? Does anyone know how many wins he has, I am sure it is close to 400.
Sorry I didn't read every post.. I was just going on what the title of the thread was.. Best coaches in the mountains...
^
I was just teasing EKFF.
You know i like to troll....:biggrin:
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:It would be scary to see what Dinky could accomplish if he were at a big school like say a South Laurel or Harlan County. There's no better coach in the mountains imo.
Dinky Phipps is a great coach, he definitely knows the game as good as anyone
^ lol yeah I know..
Kevin Spurlock
HDE Wrote:I think Mike Jones has 537 wins with a 10-1 record this year.

i believe if i added right coach phipps has 549 wins total
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your smoking crack.
Prove it.
I guarantee you there are probably a few coaches from the 13th region that has won more games.
How many has he won? Seriously?
Before making a statement like that, bring the facts to back it up.

Hatcher only took over for Holland 4 or 5 five years ago, where was at before that? How many games did he win there?
Because i know there is about 3 or 4 coaches in the 13th alone that have more wins than the little 100 or so Hatcher has since hes been at PCC.

It's difficult to decipher exactly what point you're trying to make here.
Are you trying to say that Hatcher made PCC a dominate program?
That's patently absurd, Holland won 5 regionals with them after
their consolidation. Are you trying to say Hatcher's not a good coach?
That's equally absurd, his record at Marshall Co and Graves Co.
rivals most anyone over the last 25 years.

And if there are 4 coaches in the 13th that have more wins than hatcher
over the last 4 seasons, you should list them. And if you can list any
coach anywhere that has more regional titles than Holland over the
last 20 years, by all means mention them. Bevars at N Hardin?
Riley at War Cen? Those are the only 2 that jump to mind for me,
and I don't think either has as many as Holland in that time period.
gls1978 Wrote:i believe if i added right coach phipps has 549 wins total

That wouldn't surprise me. His numbers aren't on the KHSAA list though. Someone should turn them in to the KHSAA.
DSRfan Wrote:It's difficult to decipher exactly what point you're trying to make here.
Are you trying to say that Hatcher made PCC a dominate program?
That's patently absurd, Holland won 5 regionals with them after
their consolidation. Are you trying to say Hatcher's not a good coach?
That's equally absurd, his record at Marshall Co and Graves Co.
rivals most anyone over the last 25 years.

And if there are 4 coaches in the 13th that have more wins than hatcher
over the last 4 seasons, you should list them. And if you can list any
coach anywhere that has more regional titles than Holland over the
last 20 years, by all means mention them. Bevars at N Hardin?
Riley at War Cen? Those are the only 2 that jump to mind for me,
and I don't think either has as many as Holland in that time period.

Its to hard to list the number of wins 13th region coaches have. You cant find them anywhere. But some would be way up there.
Correct me if im wrong, but you all said one of those guys has around 4 region titles in all there years of coaching.

Well, Pietrowski at Corbinn has 3 or 4 already in about 8 or 9 years.
By the times hes done at Corbin, he'll most likely be the winningest coach ever in the mountains, maybe the state.
Kevin Spurlock - 15th Region
Junior Newsome -15th Region
Id go with Steve Wright, Big Al, Rodney Rowe(coachin on the girls side now) and Randy Anderson. A few of these guys have regional championships, and a state title. One constant with these guys teams, Kids learn how to play the game the rigth way. Always good defensively, great x's and o's coaches, and there players seem to enjoy the game. I know there are many more, but these guys always stand out to me.
Wright had to have a lot of wins.
He was at South Laurel since the schools seperated in the early 90s and had many 20+ win seasons
HDE Wrote:That wouldn't surprise me. His numbers aren't on the KHSAA list though. Someone should turn them in to the KHSAA.

Well in 2009 on February 16 coach Phipps got his 500th win. And since then he has won 49 more games. I took the time to add them up. With that being said if coach Phipps was at a big name school he would probably have a lot more. But he also has done a great job at the little school
gls1978 Wrote:Well in 2009 on February 16 coach Phipps got his 500th win. And since then he has won 49 more games. I took the time to add them up. With that being said if coach Phipps was at a big name school he would probably have a lot more. But he also has done a great job at the little school

Is this Coach Phipps 28th year??????
According to KHSAA this Dinkys 30th year and he had 519 starting this year.