Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4A 2012 Favorites
laker20 Wrote:Actually they won a playoff game last year as a 3-seed. They will be very good in a district that will be better across the board next year. In fact, D5-D6 should have 5 of the top 7-8 teams in it IMO. LexCath, Boyle, Russell Co, Knox Central, Rock.

Just out of the top of my head, my preseason would be:

1) Tie LexCath, HHS
3) Russell Co
4) Boyle Co
5) Lone Oak
6) Knox Central
7) Collins (Can we get these guys a home field?)
8) Rock
9) Franklin Simpson
10) Up for grabs.

The Keys for the Lakers next year are the Line and the passing game needs further development. They have got to get stronger, more physical, and athletic up front, and the offense has to be more balanced. I look for Nick Britt to be one of the top players in the state next year, and a potential MrKYFtbll candidate.

No Cov Cath in the top 10?
:biglmao:
laker20 Wrote:Russell Co clearly beat themselves in that game. The Lakers missed out on 7 opportunities to score, and Mercer played as good as they could have. It happens, that doesn't mean that they won't be one of the top teams next year, and I think they bring back more overall talent than anyone not named LexCath. About half of their primary players were sophomores, while the other half were juniors. So they will be a team to deal with.

IMO D5-D6 matchup goes on to become 4A State Champs in 2012

:biglmao:
laker20 Wrote:Russell Co clearly beat themselves in that game. The Lakers missed out on 7 opportunities to score, and Mercer played as good as they could have. It happens, that doesn't mean that they won't be one of the top teams next year, and I think they bring back more overall talent than anyone not named LexCath. About half of their primary players were sophomores, while the other half were juniors. So they will be a team to deal with.

IMO D5-D6 matchup goes on to become 4A State Champs in 2012

I'm not denying that they are a very good team. But until they prove themselves they should not be ranked in the same tier as Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Highlands, CovCath, etc. Boyle and LexCath easily handled Mercer County this season, LexCath did so twice. I'm not denying their talent and experience, but they have no experience against a contending team. The best teams they played last year were Rockastle and Knox Central, two teams that were obviously not better than Boyle or LexCath. IMO the Boyle, Mercer, and LexCath district proved in the playoffs that the Russell, Knox Central, and Rockastle district was slightly overrated.
Rockcastle County has got its swagger back boys so watch out
rustyankle Wrote:Rockcastle County has got its swagger back boys so watch out

Wish they got that swagger against Mercer Co.Confusednicker:
kypecos Wrote:4A should be a little tighter next year as other teams improve and Highlands comes back to the pack a little (to use horse racing terminology). Highlands is still the favorite and rightfully so. But it remains to be seen if it and the other teams play up to expectations. There's a lot of weights and running and team chemistry that will develop between now and then. Highlands just looks a little better on paper, but not by much, and we all know that the games aren't played on paper.

Also agree that 4A may be the most competitive class next year. Should be some dandy playoff games (after the first round).

Birds are losing alot of talent this year both offensively and defensively in Bowden, Rouse, Bruns brothers, Houston, New, Quillen, Rouse, Dressman, Mcgurn, and Trapp. There are some big shoes to fill in '12 for Highlands.
FBfan4life Wrote:Wish they got that swagger against Mercer Co.Confusednicker:

I believe it was Russell County that lost to Mercer County.

Rockastle was defeated in the 2nd round by Boyle County. :Thumbs:
rustyankle Wrote:Rockcastle County has got its swagger back boys so watch out

I'm sorry Rusty. My bad. I thought you were referring to Russell Co. I apologize.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Birds are losing alot of talent this year both offensively and defensively in Bowden, Rouse, Bruns brothers, Houston, New, Quillen, Rouse, Dressman, Mcgurn, and Trapp. There are some big shoes to fill in '12 for Highlands.

The non-seniors get so much playing time, they won't skip a beat. It usually takes one to two weeks for the O-line to get used to playing together and then it will be business as usual. Towles won't be behind center so their offensive output might be down 5 points or so a game. The D will be great as usual. The incoming seniors have had an extra season and a half of practice...they will be ok.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The non-seniors get so much playing time, they won't skip a beat. It usually takes one to two weeks for the O-line to get used to playing together and then it will be business as usual. Towles won't be behind center so their offensive output might be down 5 points or so a game. The D will be great as usual. The incoming seniors have had an extra season and a half of practice...they will be ok.

For one, I see Dale utilizing the athleticism of Donovan McCoy with the run more than the pass. With Harris and Seidl in the background, it's all too similar to the 08' and 09' team with Head, Crawford, Guidugli and Bardo Collinsworth, and Fennell. I look for them to run first, throw second in '12.
It's Highlands until somebody beats them. Just my opinion.
One of the following 4 has won a state title 24 of 25 years in this classification of schools. (Highlands, Boyle Co, Covcath, and Lexcath(1)) My guess is that doesn't change in the forseeable future. Everyone else's team resembles landfill material.
Wideleft01 Wrote:One of the following 4 has won a state title 24 of 25 years in this classification of schools. (Highlands, Boyle Co, Covcath, and Lexcath(1)) My guess is that doesn't change in the forseeable future. Everyone else's team resembles landfill material.

http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/Tr...tic_tp.wav
Highlands
Lex Cath
Boyle
Cov Cath
Russlle Co.
lone oak
Knox
Collins
Johnson Central
Rock
Franklin Simpson

The east will be loaded again. I dont think there is a team out west "beside maybe lone oak" that could hang with the likes of Highland, lex cath, Boyle, and cov cath.
I actually forgot all about CovCath.....they will definitively be top 5-6. As far as Russell Co's playoff experience goes, in 2010 they were beat out by ACS in the final Minutes, the prior year they stayed with Lone Oak for 2/3rds of the game. Both teams went on to represent the west in the title game. I do agree that they have to prove that they are able to play with the big boys, but I fully expect 2012 to be their best chance to do so in the foreseeable future.

From what I'm hearing they havemore focus than they've ever had before, and will come out in 2012 MUCH stronger. If they can keep the skill players healthy there will be a Laker vs Rebels or Knights matchup in the playoffs. We will see how we stack up then.

I also agree that the East will be the cream of the crop again next year. As far as the west goes, I know Lone Oak will be good next year, but I'm not sure about Franklin-Simpson and Madisonville. I also wouldn't be surprised to see ACS getting better after a rebuilding 2011 season.
1. Highlands
2. Lex Cath
3. Boyle County
4. Cov Cath
5. Loan Oak
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:1. Highlands
2. Lex Cath
3. Boyle County
4. Cov Cath
5. Loan Oak

I almost agree with you on that one...here's the changes I would make

1. Highlands