Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 24 - Mayfield 6 (KHSAA 1A State Championshp)
Jake Guhy 15 of 36 for 191 yards but 5 interceptions for Mayfield.
Mayfield 54 plays, 217 yards; Hazard 63 plays 237 yards
I also agree with Panther Thunder the east is not dead and Hazard and Pikeville should be there about every year competing to go to state.
[INDENT]Congrats Hazard!
I have watched well over 300 games this season and I can say this was one of the best defensive efforts I have seen especially when you considered who the opponent was.

Mayfield you guys are a good team and the run you had leaves no doubt about that.Congrats on the season you had and good luck next season. Yall have nothing to hang your heads for. [/INDENT]
Wow. Congratulations Hazard on this historic and huge win for it's program and the mountains. I myself figured Mayfield would run away with it, but the Hazard D held them. Didn't Jake's brother, Luke Guhy throw 5 INTs also in a state championship game? Great season for Mayfield and Mr. Guhy, he will be back at Qb, and with more experience will bring a lot to the table next year for the Cards, but once again, congrats Hazard! Also, big credit to Hazards Offense, for putting that much up on a supposive speedy mayfield Defense.
Hazard won its first state football championship by beating defending titlist Mayfield 24-6 in the Class A finals Friday afternoon at WKU’s L.T. Smith Stadium.

“These kids fought all season, trying to get the hurt out of their hearts they had last year when they walked off this field,” Bulldogs Coach Mark Dixon said. “That gave us the desire today. I saw a focus in these kids I hadn’t seen before. What a way to end these seniors’ career.”

The Bulldogs ended Mayfield’s 29-game winning streak and avenged a 47-6 loss to the Cardinals in last year’s title game. Hazard lost a close game to Beechwood in 2008 in its first appearance in the finals.

Hazard’s defense was the star of the show. It picked off Mayfield quarterback Jake Guhy 5 times, and B.J. Combs returned the last one 24 yards for a touchdown in the closing minutes.

Mayfield, which was held without a TD for the first time in 5 years, was limited to 217 yards, only 26 on the ground. Hazard was led in tackles by Jordan Olinger, Austin Johnson, Dylan Logan and Brandon Jones.

Zack Blanton led the offense, rushing 25 times (often out of the Wildcat formation), and he also threw for 36 yards.

Mayfield was denied its 8th state title. The Cards have been runners-up 9 times.

http://www.kentucky.com/high-school-sports/
HERE YOU GO DOG FANS

[Image: http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/files/20...hzard1.jpg]

Hazard hoisted its first state football championship trophy Friday.
Like Panther Thunder said, this just proves what we already knew. Congrats, Hazard from this Panther fan. Glad you're bringing the big trophy back to the Mountains!!
Congrats Hazard! And thanks as well, for bringing a State Title back to the mountains!!!!!
Congrats to Hazard. :rockon:
cj2561 Wrote:I also agree with Panther Thunder the east is not dead and Hazard and Pikeville should be there about every year competing to go to state.

The East is not dead but their are several teams that will not make it easy for any team to win it all. Raceland,Fairview,Williamsburg and Harlan will all be tough next year. Next season may be the most competitive season in the east in a long time. But that's great for the East side of the state.
Congrats to the Dawgs.
They've wanted this for a long time.
CHAMPS...

Congrats to the players.. They earned it..

Congrats to Coach Dixon and his staff..

Congrats to Bj Combs.. Being a leader and Won MVP
Congratulations to Hazard
Congratulations Hazard! This game will be a classic replay for the ages. You put it on 'em.
A Big Congrats to Hazard !!!! Way to bring home the trophy !!! Makes a former resident of Hazard proud (some years back), congrats again !!!
I am SO glad I was wrong, that's what I get for buying into the media. From a PHS fan, congrats to HAzard on their first state title. Not taking anything away from Mayfield at all, they have a very good team, but I was surprised at how small they were. Again, great to see the best 1A football is still in the East!!!!!
From a True Old Cards Fan:

First and foremost, congratulation Hazard Bulldogs on your championship you deserve it and again congratulations, now Mayfield Cardinals also congratulations on a great year we are still pround of you and you did the best you could against a the best team today.
Now Cardinals fans lets not get on here and talk about who and what being at 100% and who was out we got beat by the best team today, all we can do is tell Hazard we will see you next year, again Hazard congratulations
That is what - 8 interceptions for Guhy in the past two games. I believe Mayfield had a big let down after BW.
diehardmayfieldfan....that was a classy post.. Ya win some and you lose some and admitting the better team won is losing with class. :Thumbs: My hate goes off to ya.
Wouldn't the Big Dipper have loved this!!!!!!
Way to go Bulldogs!
WAY TO GO BULLDOGS!!!! Shock the Commonwealth!!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
I don't think Hazard missed 1 tackle.. The team came ready to play.. Great team tackling.
congrats on a great game bulldogs you have sure earned it now lets hope our pirates can do the same
Congrats Dawgs!!!!!!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Congrats to the Dawgs! Who wouldve thought that Pikeville would give Hazard more of a game than Mayfield would?!?!?!....Not me and Im sure Im not alone....
Congrats to Hazard . Thats one for the mountains lets hope Belfry can make it two
Congrats Hazard!!

Redemption is sweet!!
Congrats to Hazard! You guys should be very proud of what your team accomplished. Good Job! :Thumbs: