Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 34 - Garrard County 27
I was torn between this one. I wanted to see our old district foe do good, but Belfry put us out last year and have always been good people (albeit a bit defensive). Congrats Pirates on another state title bid.
Garrard County was legit, fastest group of humans I've seen not named Central. Excellent to look at going into next week. Awesome fan base. Congrats on a great season!
Of all the teams I have watched play this season, Belfry stands out as the best. However, they haven't played anyone with Centrals explosiveness.
I gained a lot of respect for Garrard Co. It was a lot closer than I expected. Congrats Belfry.
Congrats Belfry! Gotta believe you can beat Central before you can beat them...let's get it in.
Just like I said after we played Belfry;IF Garrard can pass effectively and play good run defense they had a chance.They passed effectively just didn't play good ENOUGH run D.I did expect Belfry to win bigger than they did though.Belfry I say congrats on escaping with the win but to have ANY shot against Central.........?You can't beat a good passing team that can play run D.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:Just like I said after we played Belfry;IF Garrard can pass effectively and play good run defense they had a chance.They passed effectively just didn't play good ENOUGH run D.I did expect Belfry to win bigger than they did though.Belfry I say congrats on escaping with the win but to have ANY shot against Central.........?You can't beat a good passing team that can play run D.

I was surprised that the Lions won the stats battle 473 yards to 371.

What will the Pirate Defense do against Central?

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...9144.story
Good news about this game is, I thought as far as running the football Belfry handled the speed well. While Garrard did break off a huge run, both Gary Runyon and Tony Messer were on the sidelines and their backups were manhandled on the play. Outside of that, the big plays for Garrard came on the pass. We missed Sani Warren tonight.
the Pirates got all of their yardage on the ground. They had only two carries of more than 20 yards, but they just kept hammering away at Garrard’s defensive line.
this is what Belfry has to do to have any chance, keep it away from Central, and score,dont just get yards and nothing to show..
Haywood said the Pirates started playing better when they started to relax.

“I thought maybe we were a little too excited going into the game, and maybe we were pressing a little bit too much the first half,” he said. “I actually thought the second quarter we started (relaxing) a little bit, but I still thought maybe we were trying too hard, and I thought the second half we started playing our game.”

this is another thing that will be important,they have been here before,so they cant afford to play tight..
Wow!! What a ballgame. It also ranks up there in the top 5 of games I have ever seen. Garrard County had a VERY good football team, speed, and very good athletes. They were well coached also. The Pirates looked to come out flat and the Lions jumped all over them. The second half adjustments saved them. The D for Belfry had got them to this point in the season and the D just about lost it for them to turn around and save it for them.:insane: I loved the atmosphere there, the town was beautiful, and the people were very friendly before and after the game. Thank you to Garrard County for being a great host. A few points I thought that hurt Garrard and Belfry also were the penalties, which IMO were the right calls. The one kid for Garrard that kept getting the chop block penalty on defense really killed them. I understood what he was doing, by taking the lineman down so the LBer could fill the gap, he just got caught doing it. I really hated it for the kid. Belfry had way too many stupid penalties, delay of game, or motion, but the personal foul penalties just about were there demise in the game. The officials done a good job I thought thou. I didn't make a prediction in the other thread simply because I didn't know anything about Garrard. I just looked at their schedule and compared it to Belfry's and assumed Belfry would win. I will not do that again. They would have beatin Breathitt IMO. That is not a slap to any team, just an honest evaluation. The Pirates were lucky to escape win the win. Well, I won't say that, It does take poise and tallent to overcome such a deficet that they had at the 1st half. Congrats Pirates and thank you Garrard for a great night of football. My hat goes off to you.:worthy:
I agree with everything you have said Crossbones. Its hard to judge a team that usually doesn't make it out of the 2nd round and nobody really knows. Both teams have alot of heart and I'm pulling for Belfry against Central. But what really stood out to me with Garrard's QB I have no idea what grade that kid is but he looks like a playmaker. Nice arm and very accurate. Can't wait to see him next year if he isnt a Senior
Let me start out by saying Garrard was great place to play. The people were very nice and very respectful. Garrard was a very fast and talented team who caught the pirates off gaurd. Who every it was said Belfry was down cause of the score that was so wrong this is one of the best group of athletes Belfry has had and should be good next year also.Garrard was a well balanced team and put Belfrys back to the wall early. Congrats to Belfry and coach Haywood and staff who settled the boys down to get back in the game and pull off a big win. I want to say again great people great game great team in Garrard county we may see you again next year.TongueirateSho
My one complaint thou. I had to go back out to the vehicle to get something and the people at the gate said I could not leave. That if I did I would have to pay to get back in and I had to pay to get back in. I have not seen that before. If you have a ticket showing that you paid, why would one not be allowed to go back to their vehicle 50 feet away? I also see Roger Wagner at the game (Pike County Superintendent) and he was wearing a red hat and red shirt, neither had a Belfry logo on them which is not a surprise. But he was there anyhow.:biggrin:
TheWiseGuy Wrote:I agree with everything you have said Crossbones. Its hard to judge a team that usually doesn't make it out of the 2nd round and nobody really knows. Both teams have alot of heart and I'm pulling for Belfry against Central. But what really stood out to me with Garrard's QB I have no idea what grade that kid is but he looks like a playmaker. Nice arm and very accurate. Can't wait to see him next year if he isnt a Senior
GC QB # 6 Billy Abney is a Junior.. Not only will he be back next year, but we get all
of our O and D Line back, all Juniors.
jw4914 Wrote:GC QB # 6 Billy Abney is a Junior.. Not only will he be back next year, but we get all
of our O and D Line back, all Juniors.

The kid sure is a gamer. Played well underpressure and was accurate. #28 was a very good ball player too. You all will be in the hunt next year as well.:Thumbs:
I would like to thank all of the Belfry Faithful that was able to make it to the game. You
have a GREAT bunch of Boys. We were excited to have you, and we hope to do this again at your place next year.

To all that couldn't make it, you missed one heck of a game. GC had their opportunities.
GC is for real, and we will be back next year !!

Pirate crew,, The Golden Lions have your back at State.. Good Luck!!!
Crossbones Wrote:The kid sure is a gamer. Played well underpressure and was accurate. #28 was a very good ball player too. You all will be in the hunt next year as well.:Thumbs:
Thanks,,, Unfortunately, #28 McCoy will be graduating. But, on an up-note, we got a
couple kids that if they work hard in the off season will be turning some heads like McCoy.
Crossbones Wrote:My one complaint thou. I had to go back out to the vehicle to get something and the people at the gate said I could not leave. That if I did I would have to pay to get back in and I had to pay to get back in. I have not seen that before. If you have a ticket showing that you paid, why would one not be allowed to go back to their vehicle 50 feet away? I also see Roger Wagner at the game (Pike County Superintendent) and he was wearing a red hat and red shirt, neither had a Belfry logo on them which is not a surprise. But he was there anyhow.:biggrin:
Sorry about that!! Typically, the Ladies at the gate let the adults slide. It is mainly to
keep the kids from running around in the parking lot and creating in mischief. But, for
what ever reason, the Law came to town and threw his wait around. If it's of any
consolation, I had to pay twice also (mother forgot her blanket), and I live here.
jw4914 Wrote:Sorry about that!! Typically, the Ladies at the gate let the adults slide. It is mainly to
keep the kids from running around in the parking lot and creating in mischief. But, for
what ever reason, the Law came to town and threw his wait around. If it's of any
consolation, I had to pay twice also (mother forgot her blanket), and I live here

That does make me feel better.Confusednicker: I really enjoyed being there. You all have made me a fan of Garrard County football. Your fans were passionate and very friendly and the players played with class. The deputy at the gate was the one that said I had to pay again if I went out. I should have showed him my badge..:biggrin:
Crossbones Wrote:That does make me feel better.Confusednicker: I really enjoyed being there. You all have made me a fan of Garrard County football. Your fans were passionate and very friendly and the players played with class. The deputy at the gate was the one that said I had to pay again if I went out. I should have showed him my badge..:biggrin:
Now, I would haved LOVED to have seen that!!! Shoot, I would have even paid for that
second ticket!!!
Crossbones Wrote:That does make me feel better.Confusednicker: I really enjoyed being there. You all have made me a fan of Garrard County football. Your fans were passionate and very friendly and the players played with class. The deputy at the gate was the one that said I had to pay again if I went out. I should have showed him my badge..:biggrin:
You could have flashed him your squirt gun too. :hilarious:

FWIW, I had to go to the truck after I entered, before the game had started, and they let me have a free pass. Dude was really nice about it. Go figure. I guess I look more mature and trustworthy than you do Crossbones.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:You could have flashed him your squirt gun too. :hilarious:

FWIW, I had to go to the truck after I entered, before the game had started, and they let me have a free pass. Dude was really nice about it. Go figure. I guess I look more mature and trustworthy than you do Crossbones.
Thats cold...:moon: :biggrin:
As far as re-entry into games. The KHSAA must have that rule in effect for the playoff games. They got really tough on us at Mt. Vernon about re entry and said that the KHSAA warrants it during the playoffs. They get more official for some reason. Normally they would just let us come and go there if we needed to go back to the car.
Congrats to Coach Mark Scenters on a heck of year. Not bad for a guy that has just been around for about three years or so in his first head coaching position. They better treat him good there in Lancaster or he might get lured away.
Schools in Louisville do not allow u to leave & come back in w/o paying again for NO games. They do allow u to stand just outside the gate if u need to smoke. I think it is a little harsh. I can understand not letting the kids but adults should be able to leave & re-enter w/o having to pay again.
Crazy when they hand you a stub to prove you payed to get in. Im not knocking Garrard dont know the detials,but at Belfry you hand is marked and no one is refused re entry. Pay one time some smoke even kids like it or not no reson to pay twice. Garrard was very respectful great people and team not sure but why but paying twice not rite KHSAA!!:lame:
papagrit Wrote:As far as re-entry into games. The KHSAA must have that rule in effect for the playoff games. They got really tough on us at Mt. Vernon about re entry and said that the KHSAA warrants it during the playoffs. They get more official for some reason. Normally they would just let us come and go there if we needed to go back to the car.

although I'm not sure about KHSAA enforcing that type of rule I do know for a FACT that they made a news-reporter from Pike County pay to get in when his pass was hanging from his neck. They also made one of Belfry's stat keepers pay as well. Her name was on a list of stat's who would be coming in with their parents. IMHO, I'm all for enforcing rules but to gain a dollar from a legit reporter and from one of the young ladies who is a part of the team, that's just too much.

I disagreed with a few of the calls the ref's made but from what I witnessed and came into contact with, the crowd from GC was very nice and respectful. Amazing crowd at this game and for those of you who didn't come, you don't know what you missed! Congrats Pirates!
Crossbones Wrote:The one kid for Garrard that kept getting the chop block penalty on defense really killed them. I understood what he was doing, by taking the lineman down so the LBer could fill the gap, he just got caught doing it.:worthy:

I have an issue with this....I along with everybody who was sitting in my sectiion thought those calls were horrible....I look at the definition of the rule (see below) and I don't see how what that Garrard cornerback was doing was a penalty. He was going low (the kid is only 5"4' so when he breaks down in his proper technique, he is really low) to take on an 'un-engaged blocker'.

-This is straight from the NHFS rulebook, The NFHS Rules Committee Chairman is Julian Tackett....who is also the Commissioner of the KHSAA
Rule 2-3-8 defines a chop block as “a combination block by two or more teammates against an opponent other than the runner, with or without delay, where one of the blocks is low (at the knee or below) and one of the blocks is high (above the knee).”

According to the rule verbatim, I do not see where the Garrard CB was in the wrong.

Also, with that being said, I thought it was a hell of game between 2 very good football teams Friday night. I thought the Belfry fans were enthusiastic and very classy. It was one of the best high school football games I have ever seen.
old_school_hero Wrote:I have an issue with this....I along with everybody who was sitting in my sectiion thought those calls were horrible....I look at the definition of the rule (see below) and I don't see how what that Garrard cornerback was doing was a penalty. He was going low (the kid is only 5"4' so when he breaks down in his proper technique, he is really low) to take on an 'un-engaged blocker'.

-This is straight from the NHFS rulebook, The NFHS Rules Committee Chairman is Julian Tackett....who is also the Commissioner of the KHSAA
Rule 2-3-8 defines a chop block as “a combination block by two or more teammates against an opponent other than the runner, with or without delay, where one of the blocks is low (at the knee or below) and one of the blocks is high (above the knee).”

According to the rule verbatim, I do not see where the Garrard CB was in the wrong.

Also, with that being said, I thought it was a hell of game between 2 very good football teams Friday night. I thought the Belfry fans were enthusiastic and very classy. It was one of the best high school football games I have ever seen.

Upon further review, Chop Block would not the correct call for this, it is Block Below The Waist.....so no wonder I couldn't find anything on Chop Block in reference to this situation. I still defend the little Garrard CB....I won't waiver on that.

With that being said, I'll refrain from expressing my concern over some calls that were made in the game on Friday. There is no reason to take away from either team on the way they played and at the end of the day, the game Friday night needs to be remembered for the teams and the players and the enthusiastic crowds and the awesome atmosphere. A game that players on either side will never forget.

And on that note......I'm out until next football season.