Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 27 Somerset 21
First off congrats Whitley.
I was majorly impressed with the fight we showed last night.
I hate not being able to get on here after games on friday nights but i dont get home until morning usually.

Somerset just couldnt stop Bryant.
Its what ive been saying in the PCC thread. The kid is too big and strong to be tackle by 1 guy.

But the most important comment i have to make is this....
To you Somerset fans on here (Kanter and norm) what you have stated is bull crap and you know it.
It was obvious Somerset was getting frustratred that bryant was whipping them up and down the field and they lost there cool.
NO PUNCH WAS THROWN BY BRYANT

I lost all respect for Somerset tonight and will never hold them in that high of a standard again.

When a kid is 40 yards away from a play and you send 3 of your jokes after 1 player to try to hurt him, screw you and screw your program, i hope you never win another game for the next ten years.
Totally classless, grow up clowns.

As for Whitley, it was a huge win. from 0-3 to 3-3, were getting better every week. The defensive secondary is what worried me in this game but we didnt need them due to the pass rush we had all night on the Somerset QB.
I think PCC is a great match up for us. I dont think they can handle the run either after seeing what Rock done to them and i think Bryant may have a field day and hopefully will get another good defensive performance and get a good pass rush on Huff.

Once again, congrats Whitley.
Kanter's Enis Wrote:Congratulate Whitley all you want but this game was C.H.E.A.T.I.N.G. 3 touchdowns called back for Somerset. Those refs werent going to let Somerset score for anything.

Ask anyone thats come to Whitley.
Whitley is one of the classiest programs in the mountains and havent cheated anyone.
If anything your coaches and parents have failed your children from the way they acted last night.
Great win and bettter get ourself ready for PCC. I worry about Somerset leadership with those youngmen.
I don't think Whitley ever cheated but I remember watching Southwestern get cheated by the refs there. This was a few years ago but it was awful.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ask anyone thats come to Whitley.
Whitley is one of the classiest programs in the mountains and havent cheated anyone.
If anything your coaches and parents have failed your children from the way they acted last night.

Wow. Just wow. First off, I NEVER said that Whitley County cheated or that the refs cost Somerset the game. The 2 touchdowns called back on the final drive hurt. I said I couldn't see one of them well enough to see for sure but the other was a poor call. If the situation were reversed you would be upset as well. At no time, however did I resort to a personal attack towards you, the Whiltey County fans or players by saying "screw you and screw your program. " Is that how you show that you and your program have so much class?

I was on the sidelines taking pictures and I talked to the chain crew a lot and enjoyed meeting them. I never yelled anything at the refs and I certainly didn't go onto the field and yell at the Colonel players like a Whitley parent did. Even if they were on the field in an official capacity they had no business yelling at our players, period. Is that another example of class?

As for dirty play I never defended the clip againstst Bryant. If you only saw the clip you did not see the whole sequence. The rushers started blocking Bryant, he got frustrated and threw either a punch or a head slap at the Somerset player who then retaliated with a cheap shot. Our players are not taught to block like that but it was a kid reacting to what he perceived as a cheap shot against him. He was flagged for it and rightfully so but he was struck in the head first. I will post a screen shot after I get to watch the film if the video crew did not zoom out too quickly. I watched the entire sequence and the blow to the head was as clear as the clip. As for sending the three blockers after Bryant, when you have a punt returner like Storm Wilson you ALWAYS block the punter and/or safety all the way down the field until the whistle because you never know when he will break one or which direction he will go. If he didn't clip the blocks on Bryant were important to helping prevent him from making a touchdown saving tackle.

If Somerset was that dirty and classless where were the flags for that? The Jumpers were certainly called for everything else. Both teams were flagged for 1 personal foul and Whitley County received the only 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, but they were just defending their players, right? Even though Somerset was not flagged for any unsportsmanlike penalties, our coaches were called whiners by another poster--classic. I didn't see the spear but it was on the Whiltey County side. If it happened it should have been called. Our kids are not taught to do that.

Good luck the rest of the season, you have a good team. I hope that you can grow up a little bit and refrain from posting personal insults or you will sully that sterling reputation that you claim Whitley County has.

All of the personal attacks and cheating claims should not reflect on the effort given by both teams last night nor should it take away from Whitley's final drive. Excellent effort on both team's parts and great game. And I, unlike you have no animosity towards Whitley. I'd never wish that a group of kids never win another game. Stay classy RIUTG. You are a shining example for the program.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Wow. Just wow. First off, I NEVER said that Whitley County cheated or that the refs cost Somerset the game. The 2 touchdowns called back on the final drive hurt. I said I couldn't see one of them well enough to see for sure but the other was a poor call. If the situation were reversed you would be upset as well. At no time, however did I resort to a personal attack towards you, the Whiltey County fans or players by saying "screw you and screw your program. " Is that how you show that you and your program have so much class?

I was on the sidelines taking pictures and I talked to the chain crew a lot and enjoyed meeting them. I never yelled anything at the refs and I certainly didn't go onto the field and yell at the Colonel players like a Whitley parent did. Even if they were on the field in an official capacity they had no business yelling at our players, period. Is that another example of class?

As for dirty play I never defended the clip againstst Bryant. If you only saw the clip you did not see the whole sequence. The rushers started blocking Bryant, he got frustrated and threw either a punch or a head slap at the Somerset player who then retaliated with a cheap shot. Our players are not taught to block like that but it was a kid reacting to what he perceived as a cheap shot against him. He was flagged for it and rightfully so but he was struck in the head first. I will post a screen shot after I get to watch the film if the video crew did not zoom out too quickly. I watched the entire sequence and the blow to the head was as clear as the clip. As for sending the three blockers after Bryant, when you have a punt returner like Storm Wilson you ALWAYS block the punter and/or safety all the way down the field until the whistle because you never know when he will break one or which direction he will go. If he didn't clip the blocks on Bryant were important to helping prevent him from making a touchdown saving tackle.

If Somerset was that dirty and classless where were the flags for that? The Jumpers were certainly called for everything else. Both teams were flagged for 1 personal foul and Whitley County received the only 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, but they were just defending their players, right? Even though Somerset was not flagged for any unsportsmanlike penalties, our coaches were called whiners by another poster--classic. I didn't see the spear but it was on the Whiltey County side. If it happened it should have been called. Our kids are not taught to do that.

Good luck the rest of the season, you have a good team. I hope that you can grow up a little bit and refrain from posting personal insults or you will sully that sterling reputation that you claim Whitley County has.

All of the personal attacks and cheating claims should not reflect on the effort given by both teams last night nor should it take away from Whitley's final drive. Excellent effort on both team's parts and great game. And I, unlike you have no animosity towards Whitley. I'd never wish that a group of kids never win another game. Stay classy RIUTG. You are a shining example for the program.
Norm if you read RIUTG's post he was not replying to you. Your post was fairly classy. I completely disagree with you on the head slap and i did watch the whole sequencing of events. Maybe I missed it, but deliberately trying to tear another players knee up is uncalled for even if there was head slap (I'm not condoning a head slap at all that's wrong, just merely stating head slap or even a punch out of frustration is not even close to the same level as trying to blow out another players knee). Sending three players to block an up back (not punter) 30 or more yards away from the play seemed a little suspicious.

I would be more inclined to believe you that the players aren't told to do that if it hadn't have happened so many times, and then to have the Somerset fans boo when Bryant got up from that cheap shot was extremely classless. I hope I am wrong about what was going on out there on the field but there have been more posters on here who seen the same thing, some not even Whitley fans (at least not to my knowledge).
congrats colonels glad to see the win against somerset especially
Norm Peterson Wrote:Wow. Just wow. First off, I NEVER said that Whitley County cheated or that the refs cost Somerset the game. The 2 touchdowns called back on the final drive hurt. I said I couldn't see one of them well enough to see for sure but the other was a poor call. If the situation were reversed you would be upset as well. At no time, however did I resort to a personal attack towards you, the Whiltey County fans or players by saying "screw you and screw your program. " Is that how you show that you and your program have so much class?

I did overreact a bit and im sorry for that.
I believe your one of the better posters on the site norm and my attacks were more aimed at the kanter guy than you.
I was just upset because i know Boston and have watched him grow up and play football since he was in 3rd grade and know hes a great kid.

I was most upset about the play when literally three players from somerset when after bryant when he wasnt anywhere near the play and it was an obvious cheap shot. One of our unsportmanlikes was because coach black went off on the ref and rightfully so as he was simply trying to protect his kids and does a good job at doing so.
I obviously dont wish winless years for Somerset and like i said overreacted, but i was just frustrated about the cheap shots at bryant when they were clearly done to hurt bryant and get him out of the game.

Goodluck to you all and hopefully this doesnt happen again.

At the end of the day it was Whitley 27 and Somerset 21. Thats the bright spot for us after all of this and now its time for real season to start as homefield in the playoffs and a 2 seed could be on the line friday at Perry.

Once again i apologize norm. I did overreact.
colonel4life Wrote:Norm if you read RIUTG's post he was not replying to you. Your post was fairly classy. I completely disagree with you on the head slap and i did watch the whole sequencing of events. Maybe I missed it, but deliberately trying to tear another players knee up is uncalled for even if there was head slap (I'm not condoning a head slap at all that's wrong, just merely stating head slap or even a punch out of frustration is not even close to the same level as trying to blow out another players knee). Sending three players to block an up back (not punter) 30 or more yards away from the play seemed a little suspicious.

I would be more inclined to believe you that the players aren't told to do that if it hadn't have happened so many times, and then to have the Somerset fans boo when Bryant got up from that cheap shot was extremely classless. I hope I am wrong about what was going on out there on the field but there have been more posters on here who seen the same thing, some not even Whitley fans (at least not to my knowledge).

I think the play he is referring to is a simple blocking technique that Whitley has taught for years, even when we played colonel. A lot of people dont realize that black was our defensive coordinator under Campbell for years and a dang good one.
I believe bryant was simply trying to fire his hands of and get into the "v" when his hands went high, which is to be expected from a kid thats twice the size of the entire somerset team.
I remember last year a kid from Somerset punched a Belfry player. Think he got tossed for it. Funny enough, the Breathitt fans who had lost to Somerset the week prior posted on here "Did #21 keep his act together this week?" and I replied "Nope, got ejected" ... So maybe it's contagious over there. Lol.
Good win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I did overreact a bit and im sorry for that.
I believe your one of the better posters on the site norm and my attacks were more aimed at the kanter guy than you.
I was just upset because i know Boston and have watched him grow up and play football since he was in 3rd grade and know hes a great kid.

I was most upset about the play when literally three players from somerset when after bryant when he wasnt anywhere near the play and it was an obvious cheap shot. One of our unsportmanlikes was because coach black went off on the ref and rightfully so as he was simply trying to protect his kids and does a good job at doing so.
I obviously dont wish winless years for Somerset and like i said overreacted, but i was just frustrated about the cheap shots at bryant when they were clearly done to hurt bryant and get him out of the game.

Goodluck to you all and hopefully this doesnt happen again.

At the end of the day it was Whitley 27 and Somerset 21. Thats the bright spot for us after all of this and now its time for real season to start as homefield in the playoffs and a 2 seed could be on the line friday at Perry.

Once again i apologize norm. I did overreact.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think the play he is referring to is a simple blocking technique that Whitley has taught for years, even when we played colonel. A lot of people dont realize that black was our defensive coordinator under Campbell for years and a dang good one.
I believe bryant was simply trying to fire his hands of and get into the "v" when his hands went high, which is to be expected from a kid thats twice the size of the entire somerset team.

Apology accepted, I don't agree with Kanter either. Again, I don't condone the clip on Bryant but it was a kid reacting to a blow to the head. The blow may have come from him simply using his technique to get out of the situation he was in and even if it was an intentional blow to the head out of frustration that still does not excuse the clip. I have always taught my son to ignore punches or headslaps during the play because reacting can only hurt our team. That is why you wear a helmet, if you take a punch or blow to the head take the 15 yards that go with it but don't react and give them back out of selfishness. I can guarantee you however, that the Somerset staff does not teach our players to try and intentionally injure anyone. Somerset keeps 3 players near the punter to make sure and force the punt. Like I said before with Storm Wilson returning kicks these 3 don't just stand there and trot down the field--the block that they may make against the safety might be the one that leads to the touchdown. And let me ask you this: As hard of a time as we had dealing with Bryant all night would you have left one person to block him? If we had tried blocking him with one person on that play and he hadn't been clipped don't you think he'd have made the tackle? I do. That's why he was triple teamed--not to hurt him. The guys that blocked him had to wait to make sure the ball was punted then they were supposed to block the safety until the whistle--not clip him. That was a bad play on the Somerset player's part and again I don't condone it.

Bryant is a heck of a player and with our linebackers out we had a very difficult time dealing with him. Even when Whitley didn't score they were able to pick up first downs and keep Somerset's offense off of the field--just when the Jumpers had found their rhythm. What some of the Somerset fans are missing on here is that even with the 2 touchdowns called back on the final Jumper drive it was 3 just outstanding plays by Whitley that won the game. 1)The fingertip deflection by one of the Colonel DBs on 4th and goal stopped what was a sure touchdown pass to Wilson on a very well thrown ball by Lange. 2) The run on the reverse on 4th down was a great run and a great call by Coach Black. 3) The catch on the reverse pass was outstanding. The ball, receiver and defender all got there at the same time and the receiver had to go to the ground to make the catch. Great play.

The game was right there for Somerset to win. In the end the Colonels made 3 huge plays and the Briar Jumpers didn't. That is what cost us the game--not the calls. Although I still think we should have been up 8 instead of 1 on the last drive--but missed calls happen and we would have had a devil of a time stopping Bryant if it had went to overtime.

Good luck the rest of the way Colonels. If Whitley is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in District 8 then I feel like there is a decent chance for a sweep of District 7 in the playoffs and at worse a 3-1 record.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:First off congrats Whitley.
I was majorly impressed with the fight we showed last night.
I hate not being able to get on here after games on friday nights but i dont get home until morning usually.

Somerset just couldnt stop Bryant.
Its what ive been saying in the PCC thread. The kid is too big and strong to be tackle by 1 guy.

But the most important comment i have to make is this....
To you Somerset fans on here (Kanter and norm) what you have stated is bull crap and you know it.
It was obvious Somerset was getting frustratred that bryant was whipping them up and down the field and they lost there cool.
NO PUNCH WAS THROWN BY BRYANT

I lost all respect for Somerset tonight and will never hold them in that high of a standard again.

When a kid is 40 yards away from a play and you send 3 of your jokes after 1 player to try to hurt him, screw you and screw your program, i hope you never win another game for the next ten years.
Totally classless, grow up clowns.

As for Whitley, it was a huge win. from 0-3 to 3-3, were getting better every week. The defensive secondary is what worried me in this game but we didnt need them due to the pass rush we had all night on the Somerset QB.
I think PCC is a great match up for us. I dont think they can handle the run either after seeing what Rock done to them and i think Bryant may have a field day and hopefully will get another good defensive performance and get a good pass rush on Huff.

Once again, congrats Whitley.

Don't count on it.
I don't see how Whitley cheated, unless they abducted the real officials and suited up the coaches as officials. I honestly don't think that the officials were favoring one team or the other I just think that they were inept.

Like another poster said it came down to making plays and when it came time for the rubber to hit the road, Whitley County made the plays.

I will say this about the play of Somerset, on the last play, (I won't call numbers but I have them if you need them) there were at least 3 PF that could have been called on Somerset

1. SHS player grabbed a WCHS player and head-slaps him repeatedly and throws him to the ground
2. SHS player clearly hits a WCHS player in the back below the waste
3. The same player clearly throws a punch in the back of the player he just clipped and attempted to hurt.

Which brings us to the last play of the game, Wow how wild was that, although the game clock went out after 2 seconds I wonder how long in time Somerset ran around trying to get around the stone wall.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Apology accepted, I don't agree with Kanter either. Again, I don't condone the clip on Bryant but it was a kid reacting to a blow to the head. The blow may have come from him simply using his technique to get out of the situation he was in and even if it was an intentional blow to the head out of frustration that still does not excuse the clip. I have always taught my son to ignore punches or headslaps during the play because reacting can only hurt our team. That is why you wear a helmet, if you take a punch or blow to the head take the 15 yards that go with it but don't react and give them back out of selfishness. I can guarantee you however, that the Somerset staff does not teach our players to try and intentionally injure anyone. Somerset keeps 3 players near the punter to make sure and force the punt. Like I said before with Storm Wilson returning kicks these 3 don't just stand there and trot down the field--the block that they may make against the safety might be the one that leads to the touchdown. And let me ask you this: As hard of a time as we had dealing with Bryant all night would you have left one person to block him? If we had tried blocking him with one person on that play and he hadn't been clipped don't you think he'd have made the tackle? I do. That's why he was triple teamed--not to hurt him. The guys that blocked him had to wait to make sure the ball was punted then they were supposed to block the safety until the whistle--not clip him. That was a bad play on the Somerset player's part and again I don't condone it.

Bryant is a heck of a player and with our linebackers out we had a very difficult time dealing with him. Even when Whitley didn't score they were able to pick up first downs and keep Somerset's offense off of the field--just when the Jumpers had found their rhythm. What some of the Somerset fans are missing on here is that even with the 2 touchdowns called back on the final Jumper drive it was 3 just outstanding plays by Whitley that won the game. 1)The fingertip deflection by one of the Colonel DBs on 4th and goal stopped what was a sure touchdown pass to Wilson on a very well thrown ball by Lange. 2) The run on the reverse on 4th down was a great run and a great call by Coach Black. 3) The catch on the reverse pass was outstanding. The ball, receiver and defender all got there at the same time and the receiver had to go to the ground to make the catch. Great play.

The game was right there for Somerset to win. In the end the Colonels made 3 huge plays and the Briar Jumpers didn't. That is what cost us the game--not the calls. Although I still think we should have been up 8 instead of 1 on the last drive--but missed calls happen and we would have had a devil of a time stopping Bryant if it had went to overtime.

Good luck the rest of the way Colonels. If Whitley is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in District 8 then I feel like there is a decent chance for a sweep of District 7 in the playoffs and at worse a 3-1 record.
Norm you seem to be a very good Somerset fan who has posted on here with a lot of class.
In may opinion the Somerset players did not show that same class last night. I hope it was just a frustrated group of kids due to their recent struggles and took it out in the wrong way. There were several occasions were Somerset was hitting Bryant every play whether he was close to the action or not. There was one occasion (before the clipping incident) after Bryant was tackled the Somerset player put his hand on Bryant's throat and pushed off to get up. The ref talked to the player after the play (not sure why the flag wasn't thrown guess the ref was just warning the kid)

All that said, non of it matters anymore. Somerset and Whitley both have to move on to the games that really matter. I hope Somerset does well.
Good win for Whitley County.
Congrats WC

Jumpers improving, will need to put it all together next week.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Apology accepted, I don't agree with Kanter either. Again, I don't condone the clip on Bryant but it was a kid reacting to a blow to the head. The blow may have come from him simply using his technique to get out of the situation he was in and even if it was an intentional blow to the head out of frustration that still does not excuse the clip. I have always taught my son to ignore punches or headslaps during the play because reacting can only hurt our team. That is why you wear a helmet, if you take a punch or blow to the head take the 15 yards that go with it but don't react and give them back out of selfishness. I can guarantee you however, that the Somerset staff does not teach our players to try and intentionally injure anyone. Somerset keeps 3 players near the punter to make sure and force the punt. Like I said before with Storm Wilson returning kicks these 3 don't just stand there and trot down the field--the block that they may make against the safety might be the one that leads to the touchdown. And let me ask you this: As hard of a time as we had dealing with Bryant all night would you have left one person to block him? If we had tried blocking him with one person on that play and he hadn't been clipped don't you think he'd have made the tackle? I do. That's why he was triple teamed--not to hurt him. The guys that blocked him had to wait to make sure the ball was punted then they were supposed to block the safety until the whistle--not clip him. That was a bad play on the Somerset player's part and again I don't condone it.

Classy post.
I agree.
The last play of this game had me holding my breath for so long.
I just knew he was going to score when he cut it up the sideline and out of nowhere a Whitley player knocks him out.
This was truly a great game to watch.
Well don't know what happened in this one but, sounds like it was a very emotional game that cam down to the wire!!

Congrats Colonels!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Congrats Whitley County!
Are you crazy! The refs controlled that game. The Bryant kid played the very next play! wasnt hurt too bad! looked like a solid block that shook him up! I heard Clay Co. got their game stolen there also. Whats up with the cheaters from Whitley?