Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School's biggest win in history?
tebow Wrote:Betsy Layne Beating Paintsville this past year to seal up the home playoff spot and the #2 seed.

Seriously, that's the biggest win in school history for BL?..
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
I love these type of threads because they are always a little story with every post.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:two games that come to mind is in 2001 when Rockcastle beat Covington Cath 17-14 to send them to the first state championship game. and then 2002 when Rockcastle beat Highlands 45-6 in the state semi finals. how many times has highlands been beat like that/

My son was nine years old when they played that game. We got there late and there wasn't a place to sit around the stands, so we took fold out chairs and sat on the run ramp to the long jump pit. Marty Reagan made a pick six and liked to have jumped in my arms screaming like he was posessed the whole time. I've never to this day seen such intensity as that kid had in his eyes when he made that INT. My son (now a senior) still laughs about it and remembers it fondly.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Perry Central has had no really notable 'big' wins. But some that stand out to me are (in no particular order):

1. Beating Letcher Central 33-32 in 2008 when Perry stopped LCC's 2pt conversion.
2. Edging Pburg 21-20 in 2007.
3. Beating Breathitt at home 37-14 in 2009.
4. Beating Hazard in the Black Gold Bowl 38-6 in 2002, Perry's 1st BGB win since 1998 and only second in the schools history to that point.

Hopefully after this season I can say Perry's 1st playoff win, but we will have to wait and see.

No disrespect toward you - but I wouldn't get too excited for that to happen.
You got to realize Redneck, this school never made the playoffs until 4 years ago. They only have three winning seasons in school history. With one being last year.
I wouldn't even mention any of Perry's.....
we've had some good ones, but I'm still waiting on a playoff win lol
tebow Wrote:You got to realize Redneck, this school never made the playoffs until 4 years ago. They only have three winning seasons in school history. With one being last year.

Exactly. Every school that has ever been successfull had to start off somewhere.
Ballers Wrote:No disrespect toward you - but I wouldn't get too excited for that to happen.

Please enlighten us, Ballers.
Let us know who you think Perry will be paired up with in the first round of the playoffs that will stop them from getting the win.
1982 - Whitesburg beat a previously undefeated Breathitt County team on the road led by Coach Dudley Hilton and in the same season they went on to handily defeat the Pikeville Panthers led by Coach Hillard Howard. 1994- Whitesburg defeated Russell 14-7 in the regional championship before going on to lose to Danville in the state semifinals.
FOr Green County...

Regular season is imo the 2000 win @ Corbin.

Playoff and all time win was the 1975 win @ Mayfield to win the region
I dont really know any of the old time games. I know beating Prestonsburg in 05 was pretty sweet.

I guess the biggest win I can think of was over Sheldon Clark when Matney was there I can't quite place the year.

Those are of course only the ones I remember personally.
The Cumberland win 20-6 at Paintsville in 82 was pretty impressive as well, and the 83 win over Pikeville was petty good. Both teams were as good as it got in 1A in those days...
Bear_Paw Wrote:The Cumberland win 20-6 at Paintsville in 82 was pretty impressive as well, and the 83 win over Pikeville was petty good. Both teams were as good as it got in 1A in those days...

Who was Cumberland's head coach back then? I remember them playing in the state finals at least one season in the early '80s. Against Russellville, maybe?
Gitback Coach Wrote:Who was Cumberland's head coach back then? I remember them playing in the state finals at least one season in the early '80s. Against Russellville, maybe?

Cumberland played in the finals 3 times in the 80's, vs Paris in 82, Russelville in 83, and Heath in 86. Tim Saylor was the coach in 82 & 83, Ron Cain in 86.
tebow Wrote:You got to realize Redneck, this school never made the playoffs until 4 years ago. They only have three winning seasons in school history. With one being last year.

BeReal Wrote:Exactly. Every school that has ever been successfull had to start off somewhere.

I understand what you guys are sayin, bur IDK if I would consider beatin one of the worst Paintsville teams in history as my schools biggest victory. I don't mean any disrespect, but even before last season started, the expectations at Paintsville weren't very high, nobody predicted them to do much of anything. Most people predicted them to only win 2 or 3 games, and Betsy Layne wasn't one of them. Just havin a hard time figurin out how that could be the school's biggest victory when BL was favored by just about everybody to win.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I dont really know any of the old time games. I know beating Prestonsburg in 05 was pretty sweet.

I guess the biggest win I can think of was over Sheldon Clark when Matney was there I can't quite place the year.

That was in 98, Paintsville was down 27-0 at the half, came back to win, AT Sheldon Clark. That same year, SC got beat in the State Semi-Finals by Jared Lorenzen, Derek Smith and the rest of the Fort Thomas Highlands Blue Birds.

I would consider the 98 game against SC as one of the biggest victories, but I think when you go back to the late 70's and all thru the 80's you will find many more. Beechwood, Bellvue, and others.
Ballers Wrote:No disrespect toward you - but I wouldn't get too excited for that to happen.

To be a PCC alum, you never have anything good to say about the football program, ever. If you look at PCC's past district alignments and the teams that PCC has had, then you would know that this year is the most favorable for PCC to get that first win. I also said hopefully, I am cautiously optimistic about our chances this year. Anyways, if Perry is ever gonna break through to the win column in the playoffs, this is definitely the year for it to happen.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I dont really know any of the old time games. I know beating Prestonsburg in 05 was pretty sweet.

I wouldn't call the Prestonsburg game any type of great victory. They were 4-7 that season.

The Sheldon Clark game was in 1998 at Sheldon Clark. Tigers were down 27-0 and come back to win it 30-28.

You are talking about a school that has won 12 Regional Titles and around 20 something District Titles. Maybe the 1978 game against Beechwood as Paintsville won 7-0 and went on to their first State Championship game. Would have been their first title, but the two point conversion was called back after not having 11 men on the field. They ended up losing 15-14. In the early 80's, Paintsville won at #1 ranked Paris and were followed to Winchester where a brawl broke out in the McDonalds parking lot. The 1985 State-Semi game that sent Paintsville to their second State Title game. The most recent season for success would probably be 2001 when they finished 11-3 and made it to the State-Semis. They lost to Prestonsburg, 2A State Runner-Up and a team that was already coming off of a State-Semi showing in 2000 against the Boyle dynasty, in the first game on their new field. The next week they lost at home to Fleming-Neon but didn't lose again until the State-Semi game at NewCath. In that time they beat Hazard at Hazard, Pikeville at Pikeville, Middlesboro at Middlesboro with Durrell White, former UK starting DE, as their RB and revenged that home loss to Neon at Neon. When we went to NCC we basically ran into a buzzsaw. The team was made up of primarily 4 year starters, that were off a 2000 Class A Runner-Up, and should have won State that year but a missed chipped FG resulted in a 1-pt. loss.

I believe in 77 there were only 3 classes and up until 2005? there were only 4. With the 6 class system Kentucky has adopted it has watered the competition down. That is why you see so many blowouts in the playoffs and a lot of 0-10 teams in the mix. Everyone vents about an equal chance for all teams, but I'm sorry life isn't that way. Devries must be a liberal to allow football to weaken the way it has. Life is tough and if you reward everyone for subpar performances then what lesson does that really teach them? Sports teaches individuals team work, discipline and a hard work ethic, not that everyone gets a sticker on the board if they can put their pads on. These are young adults not headstarters. If they want the 6 class system at least make it to where only the District Champ and Runner-Up make it to the playoffs.
DALE Wrote:I believe in 77 there were only 3 classes and up until 2005? there were only 4. With the 6 class system Kentucky has adopted it has watered the competition down. That is why you see so many blowouts in the playoffs and a lot of 0-10 teams in the mix. Everyone vents about an equal chance for all teams, but I'm sorry life isn't that way. Devries must be a liberal to allow football to weaken the way it has. Life is tough and if you reward everyone for subpar performances then what lesson does that really teach them? Sports teaches individuals team work, discipline and a hard work ethic, not that everyone gets a sticker on the board if they can put their pads on. These are young adults not headstarters. If they want the 6 class system at least make it to where only the District Champ and Runner-Up make it to the playoffs.
:Clap::biggrin::rockon::1::worthy::notworthy:Thumbs::redboxer:
Going into the season, Paintsville was picked 2nd with Allen Central in 3rd. Betsy Layne was picked ahead of Phelps and thats it. Betsy Layne has had a football program for 35 years. The have had some good teams especially with Coach Derossett in the middle 90s. They had a even better run in the late 80s with Jack Hall's team. Im sure they had some wins that was really big but since 2000, I would say beating Paintsville at Paintsville was the biggest win. Betsy Layne is not a powerhouse they are just trying to get better each year. Hopefully I will be saying a different team this time next year.
DALE Wrote:I wouldn't call the Prestonsburg game any type of great victory. They were 4-7 that season.

The Sheldon Clark game was in 1998 at Sheldon Clark. Tigers were down 27-0 and come back to win it 30-28.

You are talking about a school that has won 12 Regional Titles and around 20 something District Titles. Maybe the 1978 game against Beechwood as Paintsville won 7-0 and went on to their first State Championship game. Would have been their first title, but the two point conversion was called back after not having 11 men on the field. They ended up losing 15-14. In the early 80's, Paintsville won at #1 ranked Paris and were followed to Winchester where a brawl broke out in the McDonalds parking lot. The 1985 State-Semi game that sent Paintsville to their second State Title game. The most recent season for success would probably be 2001 when they finished 11-3 and made it to the State-Semis. They lost to Prestonsburg, 2A State Runner-Up and a team that was already coming off of a State-Semi showing in 2000 against the Boyle dynasty, in the first game on their new field. The next week they lost at home to Fleming-Neon but didn't lose again until the State-Semi game at NewCath. In that time they beat Hazard at Hazard, Pikeville at Pikeville, Middlesboro at Middlesboro with Durrell White, former UK starting DE, as their RB and revenged that home loss to Neon at Neon. When we went to NCC we basically ran into a buzzsaw. The team was made up of primarily 4 year starters, that were off a 2000 Class A Runner-Up, and should have won State that year but a missed chipped FG resulted in a 1-pt. loss.

I believe in 77 there were only 3 classes and up until 2005? there were only 4. With the 6 class system Kentucky has adopted it has watered the competition down. That is why you see so many blowouts in the playoffs and a lot of 0-10 teams in the mix. Everyone vents about an equal chance for all teams, but I'm sorry life isn't that way. Devries must be a liberal to allow football to weaken the way it has. Life is tough and if you reward everyone for subpar performances then what lesson does that really teach them? Sports teaches individuals team work, discipline and a hard work ethic, not that everyone gets a sticker on the board if they can put their pads on. These are young adults not headstarters. If they want the 6 class system at least make it to where only the District Champ and Runner-Up make it to the playoffs.

If that team had 27 at half how did they score one point in the second half?
BeReal Wrote:If that team had 27 at half how did they score one point in the second half?

Heaven forbid someone make a typo. The number 7 is next to an 8 on a keyboard isn't it? I only have an engineering degree and hope that you can reassure me that my hypothesis of a possible typo due to my large fingers and the fact that these two numbers are close together in a number sequence seems feasible to you. If I am wrong I will go back to my desk at work tomorrow and pound out some differential equations or triple integrals to see if it can show me where my probability and statistics were inconclusive. Another potential reason for the typo could be that I've been up since 3 AM this morning trying to work some kinks out of a Longwall panel to get a mine that I cover back in full production. Walking under shields raised to a height of 58" all day, checking the connections between the mimmic and micro that are located between the hydraulic jacks on 232 shields as well as torching a few ram jacks that advance the panline, can take it out of an individual. I can't believe some people would get all up-in-arms over a typo.
DALE Wrote:I wouldn't call the Prestonsburg game any type of great victory. They were 4-7 that season.

I believe that was Paintsvilles first win over the blackcats since the 80's considering the fact that my whole family is from prestonsburg, and my older brother started mike linebacker for one of the best teams in their history it was nice to get a year off from hearing crap about Paintsville football.
Russell's 2 STATE championship's but as far as games goes I would have to say the '05 STATE SEMI'S against Belfry to make it to THE CARPET against OCATH.
DALE Wrote:Heaven forbid someone make a typo. The number 7 is next to an 8 on a keyboard isn't it? I only have an engineering degree and hope that you can reassure me that my hypothesis of a possible typo due to my large fingers and the fact that these two numbers are close together in a number sequence seems feasible to you. If I am wrong I will go back to my desk at work tomorrow and pound out some differential equations or triple integrals to see if it can show me where my probability and statistics were inconclusive. Another potential reason for the typo could be that I've been up since 3 AM this morning trying to work some kinks out of a Longwall panel to get a mine that I cover back in full production. Walking under shields raised to a height of 58" all day, checking the connections between the mimmic and micro that are located between the hydraulic jacks on 232 shields as well as torching a few ram jacks that advance the panline, can take it out of an individual. I can't believe some people would get all up-in-arms over a typo.

LOL.... someone didnt have there wheaties this morning.
DALE Wrote:Heaven forbid someone make a typo. The number 7 is next to an 8 on a keyboard isn't it? I only have an engineering degree and hope that you can reassure me that my hypothesis of a possible typo due to my large fingers and the fact that these two numbers are close together in a number sequence seems feasible to you. If I am wrong I will go back to my desk at work tomorrow and pound out some differential equations or triple integrals to see if it can show me where my probability and statistics were inconclusive. Another potential reason for the typo could be that I've been up since 3 AM this morning trying to work some kinks out of a Longwall panel to get a mine that I cover back in full production. Walking under shields raised to a height of 58" all day, checking the connections between the mimmic and micro that are located between the hydraulic jacks on 232 shields as well as torching a few ram jacks that advance the panline, can take it out of an individual. I can't believe some people would get all up-in-arms over a typo.

Irony, haha! :lmao:
For Prestonsburg its gotta be the 93' win over Nationally ranked Danville, at Danville to break a 42 game win streak. For Pburg it earned them a trip to the school's first State Championship game.
Jon419 Wrote:For Prestonsburg its gotta be the 93' win over Nationally ranked Danville, at Danville to break a 42 game win streak. For Pburg it earned them a trip to the school's first State Championship game.

:rockon: Yeah, the Championship game they let slip away. :devilflam
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote::rockon: Yeah, the Championship game they let slip away. :devilflam
yea we dont like to talk about that one
Since Jenkins, and Whitesburg was mentioned. The old Fleming Neon Pirates best season I think was when they made it to the Regional Championship game and lost to Paintsville. I don't think they made it any farther in there history. I could be mistaken.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]