•  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:You are right Corbin lost a lot.

Corbin lost a little but gained a lot.check their roster out.
pjdoug Wrote:Corbin lost a little but gained a lot.check their roster out.

You can have as many on the roster as you can get but only 11 on the field at one time. They lost a lot of experience from last years team.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:You can have as many on the roster as you can get but only 11 on the field at one time. They lost a lot of experience from last years team.

I keep hearing that from people that dont seem to grasp the concept of putting a fresh 11 in the game.
watch a Highlands game sometime and see how many players get in the game Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:watch a Highlands game sometime and see how many players get in the game Confusednicker:

Watch a Belfry game sometime and you will see the same. Very few maybe five play both ways. But they don't play both ways the whole game. We call that DEPTH.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Watch a Belfry game sometime and you will see the same. Very few maybe five play both ways. But they don't play both ways the whole game. We call that DEPTH.

I've watched several Belfry games Smile. You dont play the same 11 the whole game on both sides of the ball is why you win.
pjdoug Wrote:I've watched several Belfry games Smile. You dont play the same 11 the whole game on both sides of the ball is why you win.

Most good programs do that. Bell County does the same thing.
Caldwell County had nearly a 100 man roster.. Mr.Football.... And a future D1 player in Cain.

All that didn't help them win a State Title.in fact they didn't even make it out of the Region last year.

Having depth and platooning is definitely a huge help... But if you can't play Defense it doesn't matter. Corbin was not a great defensive team last year And lost a bunch of starters and their top players.

If Corbin even wants to get past Bell they are going to have to improve night and day on D.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Old Corbin trumps Belfry hands down. Belfry didn't start competing on the statewide level until the late 70's... People forget though Belfry reached two Finals Pre-1990. Even then... 80's Corbin and way way back Corbin is much greater than Belfry.

With that said, in the modern era of football, or since Haywood came to Belfry, it's not even a fair comparison.

No denying Corbin is old money in KY football... But considering most of this board wasn't even alive back when Corbin was in their glory years I think it is fair to say ole pj trying to compare the two as equals is pretty far fetched.

Actually 3 state finals pre-1990. 79, 85 and 86. Sorry EKU, had to correct you, lol,
Anyone look noticeably larger/stronger/faster? Who has caught the eye via the eye test?
wooderson Wrote:Actually 3 state finals pre-1990. 79, 85 and 86. Sorry EKU, had to correct you, lol,

Glad you did! HAHA
PaytoPlay Wrote:Anyone look noticeably larger/stronger/faster? Who has caught the eye via the eye test?

Yeah looks like EKUAlum05 has put on some weight, we'll see how it effects his performance this year
Belfry0304 Wrote:Yeah looks like EKUAlum05 has put on some weight, we'll see how it effects his performance this year

Definitely a step slower
Touche boys. Wink

Just excited for some football. I soak up every bit of information that I can get.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Old Corbin trumps Belfry hands down. Belfry didn't start competing on the statewide level until the late 70's... People forget though Belfry reached two Finals Pre-1990. Even then... 80's Corbin and way way back Corbin is much greater than Belfry.

With that said, in the modern era of football, or since Haywood came to Belfry, it's not even a fair comparison.

No denying Corbin is old money in KY football... But considering most of this board wasn't even alive back when Corbin was in their glory years I think it is fair to say ole pj trying to compare the two as equals is pretty far fetched.

I know Belfry and Corbin didn't play each other in 84, 85, and 86. I do know Belfry beat Corbin in the 87 pike co bowl 14-10. Belfry played for the 3A state championship in 85 and 86. So I would say you would have to go back to pre 80's to make Corbins argument.
Jealousy is a cruel and unforgiving mistress......
Besides, why are we even talking about Corbin football on a Belfry 2015 forum. I honestly can't remember anything Corbin has done other than pull off one of the biggest chokes in recent semi playoff history last year. Trust me with all the talk, I'm sure the two time defending state champs are licking there chops and praying Corbin does not choke again before they get there shot at the redhounds. Be careful what you ask for Corbin!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Caldwell County had nearly a 100 man roster.. Mr.Football.... And a future D1 player in Cain.

All that didn't help them win a State Title.in fact they didn't even make it out of the Region last year.

Having depth and platooning is definitely a huge help... But if you can't play Defense it doesn't matter. Corbin was not a great defensive team last year And lost a bunch of starters and their top players.

If Corbin even wants to get past Bell they are going to have to improve night and day on D.

past Bell ? Confusednicker:
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:Besides, why are we even talking about Corbin football on a Belfry 2015 forum. I honestly can't remember anything Corbin has done other than pull off one of the biggest chokes in recent semi playoff history last year. Trust me with all the talk, I'm sure the two time defending state champs are licking there chops and praying Corbin does not choke again before they get there shot at the redhounds. Be careful what you ask for Corbin!

Corbin will be a worry but will be the least of your worries this year.
^ You guys should use the ignore option on pjdoug. I did and it is really great. Would be a lot less Corbin talk too. Wink
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ You guys should use the ignore option on pjdoug. I did and it is really great. Would be a lot less Corbin talk too. Wink

I agree.You should.
Just remember.....People throw rocks at things that shine.....Smile
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Just remember.....People throw rocks at things that shine.....Smile

You made that up didnt you?Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:You made that up didnt you?Confusednicker:

Just for you.....Confusednicker:
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:I know Belfry and Corbin didn't play each other in 84, 85, and 86. I do know Belfry beat Corbin in the 87 pike co bowl 14-10. Belfry played for the 3A state championship in 85 and 86. So I would say you would have to go back to pre 80's to make Corbins argument.

Not in the early 80's. State titles in 80 and 82. In fact, If I remember correctly, Corbin only lost 1 or 2 games in 84 and 85 I think. Im pretty sure they were 9-1 in 85. Ill have to dig it out.

As for your comment about why we bring it up.....because its fun to talk on a message board and its relevant to conversation.
Talking about the history of the game is probably one of the finer aspects of the message board. Lord knows Belfrys 4 titles get talked about almost as much as there 28 runner ups do.
Belfry v Corbin historically seems like a good thread.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Just for you.....Confusednicker:
Thank ye:biggrin:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Not in the early 80's. State titles in 80 and 82. In fact, If I remember correctly, Corbin only lost 1 or 2 games in 84 and 85 I think. Im pretty sure they were 9-1 in 85. Ill have to dig it out.

As for your comment about why we bring it up.....because its fun to talk on a message board and its relevant to conversation.
Talking about the history of the game is probably one of the finer aspects of the message board. Lord knows Belfrys 4 titles get talked about almost as much as there 28 runner ups do.

Belfry will be quiet in December.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Belfry v Corbin historically seems like a good thread.

So, I got bored.
Since theres no denying that pre 1979 was all Corbin when it comes to wins and championships, and since 2003 its been all Belfry, here you go.
1979-2002 records to compare.

Corbin- 11-1 State Semis lost to Pikeville
Belfry- 12-1 State runner Up to Franklin Simpson

Corbin- 10-3 2A State Champs Beat Undefeated Ft. Campbell 16-7 in title game. (Beat Pikeville 42-13 in the state semis)

Belfry- 7-4 Lost in first round of 3A playoffs to Leslie County 22-21

Corbin- 8-1 (Lost to only Mboro who only lost one game and that was too Somerset in the first round or Mboro who made the state finals.) A lot of people thought Corbin should have made it out. Only one team made it.

Belfry- Missed playoffs. Not sure on Belfrys record that year, although it couldn't have been better than 8-1.

Corbin-8-4 State Champions. Beat Glasgow 18-6 in State finals. Interesting fact...Corbin went into the playoffs with a 5-4 Record. The year before they didn't make the playoffs with only one loss.

Belfry- Not sure on there record this year either. They were ranked about middle of the pack in the Lit Rankings for 3A. Didn't make playoffs.

Corbin- 8-1 Corbin went into the season ranked first in the entire state in polls, and ended up losing to Somerset in a shocker and missing the playoffs all together, and somerset would end up getting the number one ranking in the state before losing in the finals in another surprise.

Belfry- 3-6 missed playoffs.

Corbin- 8-2 Lost to runner up Somerset in district and missed playoffs.

Belfry- 6-4 Missed playoffs

Corbin- 11-1 Lost to Pburg in the second round

Belfry- 11-3 State Runner Up to Paducah Tilghman

Corbin- 10-3 State Semis lost to New Cath

Belfry- 11-2 State Runner up to Owensboro

Corbin- 6-4 Missed Playoffs

Belfry- 9-3 Lost to Ashland in first Round

Corbin- 10-2 Lost to State Runner up Somerset in second round. I think they beat Somerset and won district earlier in the year. Or there was a three way tie and Corbin won the tiebreaker.

Belfry- 10-2 Lost in first round to 5-6 Ashland

Corbin- 9-3 Lost to Somerset in second round after beating them in district.

Belfry- 10-4 Lost in State semis to Highlands in OT. Lost district to Breathitt, but beat them in playoffs.

Corbin- 10-4 State runner up to Ft. Knox

Belfry- 12-1 Lost to Ashland in second round

Corbin- 6-4 Lost to Rockcastle in second round.

Belfry- 10-3 Lost to Bell County in third round.

Corbin- 7-5 Lost to State Champ Danville in second round

Belfry- 10-2 Lost to Bell County in second round

Corbin- 6-6 Lost to Somerset in second round

Belfry- 4-7 Lost to Cawood in first round

Corbin- 6-5 Lost to Boyle County in first round

Belfry- 6-6 Lost to Leslie County in second round

Corbin- 4-6 Lost to Danville in first round

Belfry- 10-3 Lost to Leslie County in third round

Corbin- 11-1 Upset by Madison Southern in OT at home in second round. I witnessed this one.

Belfry- 11-2 Lost to Bell County in third round

Corbin- 6-4 Lost to Danville in first round

Belfry- 9-4 Lost to Bell County in third round

Corbin- 8-3 Lost to Bourbon County in first round

Belfry- 8-5 Lost to Sheldon Clark in third round

1999 First year both were in 2A
Corbin- 9-4 Lost in third round to Taylor County

Belfry- 8-4 Lost in Second Round to Breathitt County

Corbin- 11-3 State Semi loss to State Champion Boyle County

Belfry- 7-5 Lost to Breathitt County in Second Round

Corbin- 10-2 Lost to Larue County in Second Round

Belfry- 8-5 Lost in third round to Breathitt County

Corbin- 11-4 State Runner up to Breathitt County

Belfry- 10-3 Lost in third round to Breathitt County

Corbin 1979-2002
197-69 74.06%

Two State Titles
Two Runner Ups

Belfry 1979-2002
174-72 70.73%

(I didn't have record for Belfry in 81 and 82 although id imagine they were not better than even. If you Belfry Fans can get me the records for those two years, ill plug them in)

Three State Runner Ups
Twelve Region Titles

**Im not positive on the Region title and Region runner up numbers as the playoffs use to be different. I know for fact that Belfry had 12 Region titles in that time span, but I think Corbin may of had more than what I think. The playoff format was very different then. I think the second round was the region title game until the mid to late 90's.

Pretty dang even over that 23 or 24 year stretch.
Only big difference is the win percentage over that time.
If you added in to present day I wouldn't expect that to change, maybe grow as well, even with the good Belfry seasons as Corbin had mostly 7, 8,and 9 win seasons.
Obviously this wont tell us who was better in what seasons as the majority of them they were in separate classes, but its not about that. Its about the program.

Id like to see what adding Bell to this would do as well.

Pretty interesting...
^ Excellent post. But so much for a dedicated thread I guess? Lol
  •  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next