•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
They player in question, what school did he end up at?
Did the powerless KHSAA ever do anything about this or are they going to allow the coach and administration to blatantly cheat?
(09-06-2022, 09:30 AM)jamesclay Wrote: Did the powerless KHSAA ever do anything about this or are they going to allow the coach and administration to blatantly cheat?

Not anything that I have heard of yet.
From the looks of things, nothing will be done.

According to Zack Klemme, other 16th region schools are dropping Ashland from their schedules. Jason Mays is tweeting about his assistants he’s hiring for the upcoming season, about the Tomcats weekly off season schedule, and even some quotes from Confucius. All signs strongly point to nothing being done.

That Boyd dad who recorded the call can’t be too happy at this point. I guess Confucius say “Do not make public fool of self hoping KHSAA will have your back”. Mark your calendars for those Boyd and Ashland meetings this year.
recruiting has been going on since I played in the early 80s and probably before that. Hell, most of Bourbon Co players came from Lexington, and damn near none of their players come from " Bourbon".

Before Donate Allen's Junior year at Pendleton County during the summer he was at Scott County, then he went to Harrison or maybe that is vice versa, and then eventually would back up at Pendleton County. That is a fact.

I am only showing these two as an example. Personally, I don't care. Heck there were schools like Bath, Menifee, Montgomery, Tollesboro, Mason, Maysville, and the list goes on and on and on where one year I was playing against a guy then the next year he was at another school, and then the next year back at the school I faced him at 2 years earlier. It's always been happening. Most guys just want to win.

However, back to the post at hand. If anyone has a recording of this conversation I would love to hear it. Otherwise, it's all hearsay
(09-09-2022, 05:55 PM)cadets1988 Wrote: recruiting has been going on since I played in the early 80s and probably before that.  Hell, most of Bourbon Co players came from Lexington, and damn near none of their players come from " Bourbon". 

Before Donate Allen's Junior year at Pendleton County during the summer he was at Scott County, then he went to Harrison or maybe that is vice versa, and then eventually would back up at Pendleton County.  That is a fact. 

I am only showing these two as an example.  Personally, I don't care.  Heck there were schools like Bath, Menifee, Montgomery, Tollesboro, Mason, Maysville, and the list goes on and on and on where one year I was playing against a guy then the next year he was at another school, and then the next year back at the school I faced him at 2 years earlier.  It's always been happening.  Most guys just want to win. 

However, back to the post at hand.  If anyone has a recording of this conversation I would love to hear it.  Otherwise, it's all hearsay

https://10thregion.com/2022/06/21/listen...nd-player/
(09-09-2022, 06:43 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 05:55 PM)cadets1988 Wrote: recruiting has been going on since I played in the early 80s and probably before that.  Hell, most of Bourbon Co players came from Lexington, and damn near none of their players come from " Bourbon". 

Before Donate Allen's Junior year at Pendleton County during the summer he was at Scott County, then he went to Harrison or maybe that is vice versa, and then eventually would back up at Pendleton County.  That is a fact. 

I am only showing these two as an example.  Personally, I don't care.  Heck there were schools like Bath, Menifee, Montgomery, Tollesboro, Mason, Maysville, and the list goes on and on and on where one year I was playing against a guy then the next year he was at another school, and then the next year back at the school I faced him at 2 years earlier.  It's always been happening.  Most guys just want to win. 

However, back to the post at hand.  If anyone has a recording of this conversation I would love to hear it.  Otherwise, it's all hearsay

https://10thregion.com/2022/06/21/listen...nd-player/
WOW!!!!
I noticed that Ashland hired former Burgin coach Troy Lee Thomas. It wasn't really a surprise since the coach mentioned that in the recorded call.
If the KHSAA does not come down hard on Ashland, then they should just eliminate all regulations regarding recruiting. Short of a coach delivering a bag full of cash to a player or his parents, then nothing could be more of a smoking gun than that call.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(09-13-2022, 12:26 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: If the KHSAA does not come down hard on Ashland, then they should just eliminate all regulations regarding recruiting. Short of a coach delivering a bag full of cash to a player or his parents, then nothing could be more of a smoking gun than that call.

Going to be difficult to come down hard on Ashland, because they would also have to come down hard on Boyd Co as well.  What the dad did is a violation as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Ky1976
(09-13-2022, 06:15 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 12:26 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: If the KHSAA does not come down hard on Ashland, then they should just eliminate all regulations regarding recruiting. Short of a coach delivering a bag full of cash to a player or his parents, then nothing could be more of a smoking gun than that call.

Going to be difficult to come down hard on Ashland, because they would also have to come down hard on Boyd Co as well.  What the dad did is a violation as well.
What the dad did was despicable but I just don't see the KHSAA punishing a school for the actions of a parent as harshly as they would for the actions of a veteran head coach on the school payroll. I don't think that the actions of a parent mitigate the recruiting violation of a head coach in any way.
(09-13-2022, 06:41 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

What the dad did was despicable but I just don't see the KHSAA punishing a school for the actions of a parent as harshly as they would for the actions of a veteran head coach on the school payroll. I don't think that the actions of a parent mitigate the recruiting violation of a head coach in any way.

I disagree, I think the parents actions are worse than the coaches in this instance.  I would be 100% in favor of the player being banned for all 4 years of HS eligibility because of this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Ky1976
(09-13-2022, 09:06 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

I disagree, I think the parents actions are worse than the coaches in this instance.  I would be 100% in favor of the player being banned for all 4 years of HS eligibility because of this.
Punishing an 8th grade boy with a lifetime ban from high school sports for something that his father did is the kind of decision that draws lawyers like flies. I doubt that the KHSAA could survive doing something that stupid. Unfortunately, most juveniles who commit felonies get more leniency for their own crimes than what you are suggesting this kid should because of his father doing something stupid but not illegal.

So if this kid's dad committed a crime, would you put the son in jail too?
The Dad exposed a coach cheating on a different level.  Not seen or heard of any infraction for doing that.  Blatant recruiting like a college coach on the other hand...d

This is a ridiculous take.
(09-19-2022, 12:49 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
The Dad exposed a coach cheating on a different level.  Not seen or heard of any infraction for doing that.  Blatant recruiting like a college coach on the other hand...d
The coach wasn’t “recruiting”. He took a call from a dad of an eighth grader who faked interest in moving his son to Ashland because he had plans on sending his son to Ashland but another player from his son’s team made the move first. The dad was angry. The coach answered his questions and discussed Ashland’s program. The dad was doing the recruiting for his son. If the coach had placed the call and said, “Hey man, would you consider moving your son to Ashland….”, well that would be different. But that’s not what happened. Now, on hindsight I’m sure coach wishes he had not talked as long, and he did actually refer the dad to the counselor and principal for transfer matters. But there was no phone call or recruiting from the coach. He was on vacation in South Carolina when he received the call.
This coach has completed four years as Ashland head coach and he has had a grand totaled of four transfers. Average of one per year, about standard. That number definitely does not equate to “blatant cheating” or blatant recruiting”, terms that have been posted in this thread. Coach Mays has never recruited a single player to come to Ashland. Sometimes schools and programs simply recruit for themselves. Answering a dad’s questions in a phone call and talking about his program 
is not recruiting. 
And one more thing. There’s a lot of hypocritical posting in this thread. I’ve been around sports a long time and I will tell you right now that 99% of the coaches in the state of Kentucky would talk to a parent of an 8th grader if said parent showed interest in moving to their school, which was totally legal for 8th graders at the time of the call. I know I definitely would have. And others would too. Lol. To say they wouldn’t would mean they are being disingenuous at the least.
One thing about it, Boyd doesn't mess around when they get transfers. They get "meaningful" transfers who lead their teams and the area in stats. Amazing how they've lucked into these types of transfers without a coach being called or texted over the past few years. This situation is far beyond "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Disingenuous is putting it nicely.

Taylor Bartrum (New Jersey) - 2021 area volleyball player of the year; all-area girls basketball player; most kills on team that won region in volleyball; point guard on team that won region in girls basketball

Malachi Wheeler (Coal Grove, Ohio) - leads football in rushing yards this season

Rolan Sanderson (College Heights, Missouri) - leads boys soccer team in assists this season

Laney Whitmore (Huntington, WV) - led girls soccer team in goals in 2020

Hannah Roberts (Wayne, WV) - all-area girls basketball player in 2020

Oliver Skaug (Oslo, Norway) - area soccer player of the year in 2018; leading goal scorer for team that won region in soccer

Charity Shears (West Virginia) - (2015-2018) multi-year all-area girls basketball; multiple region titles in girls basketball

Payton Shears (West Virginia) - (2015-2018) multi-year all-area girls basketball; multiple region titles in girls basketball

Harley Paynter (East Carter) - area girls basketball player of the year in 2021; multi-year all-area girls basketball player; multiple region titles in girls basketball; (2018-2021)

Gunner Short (Fairland, OH) - area boys basketball player of the year in 2018; leading scorer on team that won region in boys basketball

JK McKnight (Russell) - baseball player that led Russell in hits and ERA last season

Austin Watkins (Russell) - led baseball in hitting in 2019

Rheyce Deboard (Russell) - led basketball in scoring in 2021; all-area player
(09-19-2022, 02:01 PM)16thregioner Wrote: One thing about it, Boyd doesn't mess around when they get transfers.  They get "meaningful" transfers who lead their teams and the area in stats.  Amazing how they've lucked into these types of transfers without a coach being called or texted over the past few years.  This situation is far beyond "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".  Disingenuous is putting it nicely.

Taylor Bartrum (New Jersey) - 2021 area volleyball player of the year; all-area girls basketball player; most kills on team that won region in volleyball; point guard on team that won region in girls basketball

Malachi Wheeler (Coal Grove, Ohio) - leads football in rushing yards this season

Rolan Sanderson (College Heights, Missouri) - leads boys soccer team in assists this season

Oliver Skaug (Oslo, Norway) - area soccer player of the year in 2018; leading goal scorer for team that won region in soccer

Charity Shears (West Virginia) - (2015-2018) multi-year all-area girls basketball; multiple region titles in girls basketball

Payton Shears (West Virginia) - (2015-2018) multi-year all-area girls basketball; multiple region titles in girls basketball

Harley Paynter (East Carter) - area girls basketball player of the year in 2021; multi-year all-area girls basketball player; multiple region titles in girls basketball; (2018-2021)

Gunner Short (Fairland, OH) - area boys basketball player of the year in 2018; leading scorer on team that won region in boys basketball

JK McKnight (Russell) - baseball player that led Russell in hits and ERA last season

Boyd wants this to go away along with the dad whom recorded the phone call.  This happens everyday,  we just don’t have a psycho dad recording the conversation.   That’s the only difference.   Wonder if Coach Anderson ever talk on the phone to an eight grade father?
(09-15-2022, 05:45 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Punishing an 8th grade boy with a lifetime ban from high school sports for something that his father did is the kind of decision that draws lawyers like flies. I doubt that the KHSAA could survive doing something that stupid. Unfortunately, most juveniles who commit felonies get more leniency for their own crimes than what you are suggesting this kid should because of his father doing something stupid but not illegal.

Why, the choices parents make everyday effect their kids lives, how is this any different?

(09-19-2022, 11:01 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
The coach wasn’t “recruiting”. He took a call from a dad of an eighth grader who faked interest in moving his son to Ashland because he had plans on sending his son to Ashland but another player from his son’s team made the move first. The dad was angry. The coach answered his questions and discussed Ashland’s program. The dad was doing the recruiting for his son. If the coach had placed the call and said, “Hey man, would you consider moving your son to Ashland….”, well that would be different. But that’s not what happened. Now, on hindsight I’m sure coach wishes he had not talked as long, and he did actually refer the dad to the counselor and principal for transfer matters. But there was no phone call or recruiting from the coach. He was on vacation in South Carolina when he received the call.
This coach has completed four years as Ashland head coach and he has had a grand totaled of four transfers. Average of one per year, about standard. That number definitely does not equate to “blatant cheating” or blatant recruiting”, terms that have been posted in this thread. Coach Mays has never recruited a single player to come to Ashland. Sometimes schools and programs simply recruit for themselves. Answering a dad’s questions in a phone call and talking about his program 
is not recruiting. 
And one more thing. There’s a lot of hypocritical posting in this thread. I’ve been around sports a long time and I will tell you right now that 99% of the coaches in the state of Kentucky would talk to a parent of an 8th grader if said parent showed interest in moving to their school, which was totally legal for 8th graders at the time of the call. I know I definitely would have. And others would too. Lol. To say they wouldn’t would mean they are being disingenuous at the least.

To some extend I agree with part of this.  Where coach is wrong is he should have ended the call about 10 minutes in.

(09-19-2022, 08:21 PM)Ky1976 Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 02:01 PM)16thregioner Wrote: One thing about it, Boyd doesn't mess around when they get transfers.  They get "meaningful" transfers who lead their teams and the area in stats.  Amazing how they've lucked into these types of transfers without a coach being called or texted over the past few years.  This situation is far beyond "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".  Disingenuous is putting it nicely.

Boyd wants this to go away along with the dad whom recorded the phone call.  This happens everyday,  we just don’t have a psycho dad recording the conversation.   That’s the only difference.   Wonder if Coach Anderson ever talk on the phone to an eight grade father?

Easy way for Boyd to make this go away, dont let the kid play for Boyd.
(09-19-2022, 09:25 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 06:15 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Going to be difficult to come down hard on Ashland, because they would also have to come down hard on Boyd Co as well.  What the dad did is a violation as well.

Why, the choices parents make everyday effect their kids lives, how is this any different?

is not recruiting. 

To some extend I agree with part of this.  Where coach is wrong is he should have ended the call about 10 minutes in.

The reason that this is different from other decisions that a parents make that negatively impact their children is that you are advocating that an KHSAA punish a minor for an action that his father took. That would obviously violate the boy's constitutional rights and most likely result in a huge judgment against the KHSAA. Would it really make sense to you for the boy to be banned from high school sports for life and for the KHSAA to risk its very existence by violating a teenage boy's basic constitutional rights?

The KHSAA's lawyers will not advise them to take any of the actions that you are advocating. Boyd County did nothing wrong and the boy is a minor who also did nothing wrong. It would be ludicrous for the KHSAA to attempt to punish either Boyd County or the boy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • TheStickyBandit
Coach has had 19 transfers/recruits in the 4 years he has been there. Transfer and recruiting are two different things. Coach was caught red handed making a call to recruit a player actively. The diarrhea of the mouth by coach, he self admits to recruiting another Boyd player that his assistant was handling. Says he wish he would have been more aggressive with a Russell player. He openly self admits to numerous RECRUITING violations. 50 min confession and how to circumvent the khsaa. Caught all on tape! The real victims in this are the Ashland kids. Recruiting around kids. Filling holes the coach calls it. Sad our Ashland administration doesn’t stand up for our in town/community kids. Currently the roster has several kids living in other school districts and county’s playing in front of Ashland kids. The tape says it all. Khsaa has its hands full. Coach should have done the right thing and resigned. He is exploiting Ashland and it’s kids. To promote himself. That’s why he was So willing to leave to Montgomery county. Lying about turning down the Ballard job! It’s an embarrassment to the community and tradition. FYI new hire coach is bringing another recruit. It’s why he was hired. You can’t make this up.
(09-20-2022, 01:41 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Coach has had 19 transfers/recruits in the 4 years he has been there. Transfer and recruiting are two different things. Coach was caught red handed making a call to recruit a player actively. The diarrhea of the mouth by coach, he self admits to recruiting another Boyd player that his assistant was handling. Says he wish he would have been more aggressive with a Russell player. He openly self admits to numerous RECRUITING violations.  50 min confession and how to circumvent the khsaa. Caught all on tape!  The real victims in this are the Ashland kids. Recruiting around kids. Filling holes the coach calls it. Sad our Ashland administration doesn’t stand up for our in town/community kids. Currently the roster has several kids living in other school districts and county’s playing in front of Ashland kids. The tape says it all. Khsaa has its hands full. Coach should have done the right thing and resigned. He is exploiting Ashland and it’s kids. To promote himself. That’s why he was So willing to leave to Montgomery county. Lying about turning down the Ballard job! It’s an embarrassment to the community and tradition. FYI new hire coach is bringing another recruit. It’s why he was hired. You can’t make this up.
There’s so much deception and misdirection in this post. Four transfers to the basketball program in 4 years, not 19, lol. And the Russell kid you refer to was not recruited. He thought about transferring to Ashland and was advised to stay where he was at Russell. The “more aggressive” comment you refer to by Mays was a tongue in cheek comment about the player scoring 33 points in a win over Ashland. It was in a casual conversation and he was not being serious but rather joking.
And he was contacted by officials at Ballard in the early stages of their search. I’m not sure it was just a general conversation or what but I don’t think he interviewed. I don’t know much more than that, though. He likes where he is at Ashland. And no matter how much you attempt to spew hatred and twist things around Jason Mays does not recruit. You said, “he was caught red handed making a call to a player actively”. That is not true. He received a call while he was vacationing in South Carolina. He has never called or contacted a player or their family asking them to move from their present school to Ashland Blazer. That being said I’m sure there are numerous people who are interested in Ashland though. My guess is the school is probably contacted quite often by people thinking of moving there. It’s a good school. And Coach Mays is a hard working coach who is 100% dedicated to his faith, family, and team. It was his idea to encourage his best returning player to skip his senior season and go on to Liberty University. The young man didn’t want to do it when he first mentioned it to him. But that‘a how Coach Mays is, he loves his players and puts their best interests first.
(06-05-2022, 10:44 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 08:40 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 12:06 AM)sacbunt Wrote: Mays called the parent. Parent recorded it because he is staying at Boyd. They are archivals in the same district, Why wouldn't he give it to the Boyd coaching staff?

Also, Mays did trash his team's players trying to coax the kid into coming. That's a fact.

Don't be surprised if this isn't over yet.
This is incorrect and false. Parent called Mays when the coach and his family were on vacation. I suppose he was shopping his kid around. He supposedly also called another school, in the 10th region, or was thinking of doing it. There was no “coaxing” on Mays’s part. His mistake was even talking to the guy but he is friendly with anyone he talks to. He would probably have a conversation with car warranty phone caller if the subject went to basketball, lol. 
And Mays would never “trash” his players. He loves those young men like they are his family. 
As I’ve said before in this thread, there’s a lot of misinformation and distortions in some of these posts. Most of it is grapevine/rumor mill stuff. He said, she said, blah, blah, blah.

Then it should not be a problem to release the recording to the public, would you not agree?
The 51 minute recording has been released and there is a link to the call above. I encourage anybody who is defending the coach as just being "friendly" to take time to listen to the call. Mays was trying to sell his program and even offered to help get the player on a better AAU team. I don't have a dog in this fight, and I understand people being upset that their coach was set-up, but the only issue that should concern the Ashland administration and the KHSAA is that Mays engaged in the blatant recruiting of a player attending another school. At least that is my interpretation of the call.
(09-20-2022, 12:09 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:41 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Coach has had 19 transfers/recruits in the 4 years he has been there. Transfer and recruiting are two different things. Coach was caught red handed making a call to recruit a player actively. The diarrhea of the mouth by coach, he self admits to recruiting another Boyd player that his assistant was handling. Says he wish he would have been more aggressive with a Russell player. He openly self admits to numerous RECRUITING violations.  50 min confession and how to circumvent the khsaa. Caught all on tape!  The real victims in this are the Ashland kids. Recruiting around kids. Filling holes the coach calls it. Sad our Ashland administration doesn’t stand up for our in town/community kids. Currently the roster has several kids living in other school districts and county’s playing in front of Ashland kids. The tape says it all. Khsaa has its hands full. Coach should have done the right thing and resigned. He is exploiting Ashland and it’s kids. To promote himself. That’s why he was So willing to leave to Montgomery county. Lying about turning down the Ballard job! It’s an embarrassment to the community and tradition. FYI new hire coach is bringing another recruit. It’s why he was hired. You can’t make this up.
There’s so much deception and misdirection in this post. Four transfers to the basketball program in 4 years, not 19, lol. And the Russell kid you refer to was not recruited. He thought about transferring to Ashland and was advised to stay where he was at Russell. The “more aggressive” comment you refer to by Mays was a tongue in cheek comment about the player scoring 33 points in a win over Ashland. It was in a casual conversation and he was not being serious but rather joking.
And he was contacted by officials at Ballard in the early stages of their search. I’m not sure it was just a general conversation or what but I don’t think he interviewed. I don’t know much more than that, though. He likes where he is at Ashland. And no matter how much you attempt to spew hatred and twist things around Jason Mays does not recruit. You said, “he was caught red handed making a call to a player actively”. That is not true. He received a call while he was vacationing in South Carolina. He has never called or contacted a player or their family asking them to move from their present school to Ashland Blazer. That being said I’m sure there are numerous people who are interested in Ashland though. My guess is the school is probably contacted quite often by people thinking of moving there. It’s a good school. And Coach Mays is a hard working coach who is 100% dedicated to his faith, family, and team. It was his idea to encourage his best returning player to skip his senior season and go on to Liberty University. The young man didn’t want to do it when he first mentioned it to him. But that‘a how Coach Mays is, he loves his players and puts their best interests first.
BASKETBALL

RYAN BRYANT (IRONTON) All Area FB Player led the football team in tackles in 2019
HUNTER GILLUM (BOYD CO) All Area FB Player, led the football team to State Championship MVP in 2021, played on state tournament bball teams
TRISTIN DAVIS (BOYD CO)
CAMRYN DAVIS (BOYD CO) 
COLIN PORTER (ELLIOTT CO) All Area Player, multiple state tournament appearances
TYSON LALONDE (BOYD CO)
ZANDER CARTER (GREENUP CO) All Area player, multiple state tournament appearances
SEAN MARCUM (CABELL MIDLAND) transferred back to CM the day after state tournament loss and parents rented a house off former Super and Mayor's daughter
BRAXTON JENNINGS ( HUNTINGTON) leading rusher for fb team in 2023
JAMES MAYNOR (BATH CO) 
RICKEY PARDON (MISSOURI) All Area FB lived with guardian in Ironton that called plays for Ashland Football played on state tournament bball team
RHEYCE  DeBOARDE (RUSSELL, BOYD CO) All area player in bball

SOFTBALL
HALEY HANEY (BOYD CO) All Area SB Player Softball played on state tournament team 2019
RUTHIE PATHOLSKY (IRONTON) Softball state tournament 2019
MEGAN HENSLEY (COLUMBUS OH) All Area SB and VB , Pitcher of the year, Miss Softball and 6 state tournament teams in softball and led the volleyball team in kills
EMILY PREECE (ROSE HILL) Softball played on 5 state tournament softball teams
SYDNEY WHITT (RUSSELL) All Area Player state tournament player 2012,2013,14
McKENZIE VANOVER (ROSE HILL) Ky Softball HOF played on 5 state tournament softball teams
MEGAN MURPHY (BOYD CO) State Tournament 2015,2016, All Area player
CAITLIN TABOR (BOYD CO)
MADISON TABOR(BOYD CO)
KENZY MOORE (FAIRVIEW)

GIRLS B-BALL
KAYLIN GAMBLE (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYER, ALL AREA
SYDNEY CULLOP (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYER, ALL AREA
ALEX YOUNG (ROSE HILL) STATE TOURNAMENT
CHESELA WOODSON ( HUNTINGTON) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYE, ARESSTED IN OPEN GYM BY APD 
KELSEE MCPEEK (FAIRVIEW)

BASEBALL
CODY BENNETT (RUSSELL)
BRAXTON RATLIFF(PAINTSVILLE) ALL AREA FB AND BASEBALL PLAYER)
CALEB SKAGGS (BOYD CO) PLAYED FB ALSO

This is just a few kids I have seen come into Ashland.  Transferring legally vs BEING RECRUITED BY A COACH ILLEGALLY.  Big difference.  I enjoy the commentary but facts are facts.  The COACH RED HANDED recruited a player, spoke of other players he is currently recruiting, and recruited in the past.  OUR ASHLAND KIDS deserve better!!!
(09-20-2022, 01:34 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: BASKETBALL

RYAN BRYANT (IRONTON) All Area FB Player led the football team in tackles in 2019
HUNTER GILLUM (BOYD CO) All Area FB Player, led the football team to State Championship MVP in 2021, played on state tournament bball teams
TRISTIN DAVIS (BOYD CO)
CAMRYN DAVIS (BOYD CO) 
COLIN PORTER (ELLIOTT CO) All Area Player, multiple state tournament appearances
TYSON LALONDE (BOYD CO)
ZANDER CARTER (GREENUP CO) All Area player, multiple state tournament appearances
SEAN MARCUM (CABELL MIDLAND) transferred back to CM the day after state tournament loss and parents rented a house off former Super and Mayor's daughter
JAMES MAYNOR (BATH CO) 
RICKEY PARDON (MISSOURI) All Area FB lived with guardian in Ironton that called plays for Ashland Football played on state tournament bball team

SOFTBALL
HALEY HANEY (BOYD CO) All Area SB Player Softball played on state tournament team 2019
MEGAN HENSLEY (COLUMBUS OH) All Area SB and VB , Pitcher of the year, Miss Softball and 6 state tournament teams in softball and led the volleyball team in kills
McKENZIE VANOVER (ROSE HILL) Ky Softball HOF played on 5 state tournament softball teams
CAITLIN TABOR (BOYD CO)
MADISON TABOR(BOYD CO)
KENZY MOORE (FAIRVIEW)

GIRLS B-BALL
CHESELA WOODSON ( HUNTINGTON) STATE TOURNAMENT PLAYE, ARESSTED IN OPEN GYM BY APD 
KELSEE MCPEEK (FAIRVIEW)

BASEBALL
CODY BENNETT (RUSSELL)

This is just a few kids I have seen come into Ashland.  Transferring legally vs BEING RECRUITED BY A COACH ILLEGALLY.  Big difference.  I enjoy the commentary but facts are facts.  The COACH RED HANDED recruited a player, spoke of other players he is currently recruiting, and recruited in the past.  OUR ASHLAND KIDS deserve better!!!

I'm not sure I'm following this list.  Are you saying all of these kids were recruited?   There are kids on this list that I don't know anything about or how they got here and have no idea what their motivations were and I have no idea whether they were recruited or not so I'm not going to say anything one way or another about them (and I wouldn't even if they were). But...there are also kids on this list that have been at Ashland most of elementary and all of middle school. I have known them for years and have many of them and their parents in my phone contacts and talk to them all the time. They are about as maroon as anyone I know. Many, many kids in our area attend pre-school and early elementary at Rose Hill and then later transfer to public schools throughout the area. My own kids fit into this category. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you posting the names of any kids on a public message board to try to support a narrative.  Again, I'm a little mixed up with this list anyway but you have NO business including the names of many of these kids on such a list no matter your intention. I'm not a message board expert so I don't know the legality of such a list but at best it's in very poor taste.
(09-20-2022, 02:56 PM)i82much Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:34 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: BASKETBALL

TRISTIN DAVIS (BOYD CO)
CAMRYN DAVIS (BOYD CO) 
TYSON LALONDE (BOYD CO)
JAMES MAYNOR (BATH CO) 

SOFTBALL
CAITLIN TABOR (BOYD CO)
MADISON TABOR(BOYD CO)
KENZY MOORE (FAIRVIEW)

GIRLS B-BALL
KELSEE MCPEEK (FAIRVIEW)

BASEBALL
CODY BENNETT (RUSSELL)

I'm not sure I'm following this list.  Are you saying all of these kids were recruited?   There are kids on this list that I don't know anything about or how they got here and have no idea what their motivations were and I have no idea whether they were recruited or not so I'm not going to say anything one way or another about them (and I wouldn't even if they were). But...there are also kids on this list that have been at Ashland most of elementary and all of middle school. I have known them for years and have many of them and their parents in my phone contacts and talk to them all the time. They are about as maroon as anyone I know. Many, many kids in our area attend pre-school and early elementary at Rose Hill and then later transfer to public schools throughout the area. My own kids fit into this category. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you posting the names of any kids on a public message board to try to support a narrative.  Again, I'm a little mixed up with this list anyway but you have NO business including the names of many of these kids on such a list no matter your intention. I'm not a message board expert so I don't know the legality of such a list but at best it's in very poor taste.

(09-20-2022, 12:09 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
I haven't heard anything in the media about the status of the KHSAA investigation. We are all sitting and waiting for a decision. I hope for our kids at Ashland and parents who have endured this embarrassment by a High School Basketball coach is over soon. He should be banned from coaching High School sports based off what I have heard on this audio. I would rather have Biggs or Howell back over him. Sad:(
(09-19-2022, 10:24 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 09:25 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(09-13-2022, 06:41 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: What the dad did was despicable but I just don't see the KHSAA punishing a school for the actions of a parent as harshly as they would for the actions of a veteran head coach on the school payroll. I don't think that the actions of a parent mitigate the recruiting violation of a head coach in any way.

is not recruiting. 

The reason that this is different from other decisions that a parents make that negatively impact their children is that you are advocating that an KHSAA punish a minor for an action that his father took. That would obviously violate the boy's constitutional rights and most likely result in a huge judgment against the KHSAA. Would it really make sense to you for the boy to be banned from high school sports for life and for the KHSAA to risk its very existence by violating a teenage boy's basic constitutional rights?

The KHSAA's lawyers will not advise them to take any of the actions that you are advocating. Boyd County did nothing wrong and the boy is a minor who also did nothing wrong. It would be ludicrous for the KHSAA to attempt to punish either Boyd County or the boy.

Disagree, KHSAA has done it many times by making players ineligible for any reason. Students cant sign themselves in and out of school districts, a parent has too.  This situation is no different than a illegal transfer issue.  Punishment is the same. (I know Im advocating for 4 year ban, thats to put a stop to this crap by parents, in reality 1 years is probably all they would do, or mediate too.)

Also, can you show me in writing the constitutional right to play HS basketball?
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next