Poll: Who wins this battle?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
79.33%
Breathitt
20.67%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County @ Belfry (3A Semi-Finals)
It's State Semi-Finals Day in the Mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year Mike Holcomb made IMO, the poorest decision of his illustrious career. He publicly stated for his team to "ignore the fullback" early in the game, and as a result Belfry ended up hanging 62 on the Bobcats. The fullback is the heartbeat of any Belfry team. The offense completely revolves around the success of the fullback on the belly read, or the strategy employed by the defense and their alignment to stop him.

After last season's debacle Holcomb has publicly went on record talking about how they have been preparing for Belfry all season, so I have a feeling he will not be ignoring anyone this year. Instead, what I expect from Breathitt is to see 11 guys in the box, press coverage on the receivers, and every blitz and stunt that John Chapman knows to be thrown at the Pirates. I also expect to see specific assignments on every play for the fullback to be accounted for and put on the ground. Breathitt will also align the defense to take away the quick hitters on the veer and belly.

Belfry's bread and butter tonight will have to come outside or on misdirection. If the Pirates can stretch the Bobcat's defense across the field efficiently, and maybe even mix in a couple passes to force the corners to honor the receivers and make safeties who will be walked up to stop the run have to play with a step of reluctance. If this occurs then Belfry, who has a decisive advantage in size/strength and depth on the O-line, will be able to wear adown a Breathitt team composed of mostly two way players.

Offensively I expect to see some new wrinkles out of Breathitt. The Belfry DE's have to stay at home and the safeties cannot get sucked in on the play. Channing Fugate may be the best individual player in the mountains, but he does not worry me if he is asked to carry his team, what worries me is Channing Fugate running the ball when Belfry has to devote 5-6 players specifically to pass coverage and the Pirates are not able to gang tackle him. If Belfry can limit Breathitt's passing game with two CB's and two safeties, and can effectively rush Haddix, then I like the Pirates chances of disrupting Fugate in the backfield.

Ultimately, what this game boils down to, is three things:

1. Who can win the first two seconds after the ball is hiked. If Breathitt is the team penetrating the backfield and forcing Belfyr to make rare mistakes and turnovers, the Bobcats can and will win this game. If Belfry is pressuring Haddix and keepign Fugate from getting a full head of steam then Belfry wins.

2. What tempo the game is played. If Breathitt dictates a tempo consistent with big plays and pass blocking, while forcing Belfry into quick posessions. Then fatigue will have no effect. If Belfry can grind out long drives, and force Breathitt to have to drive the ball on offense instead of scoring quick. Then Belfry's size and depth advantages will play a major role by the end of the game.

3.Who surprises the other the most. Breathitt has tricks up it's sleeve, but also the Bobcats find it inconceivable that Belfry could shut down Fugate. Additionally, Belfry has a lot more plays up their sleeve then they have been forced to show, and Befry fans do not feel Breathitt can overpower their line at shutting down their running game before it starts. Whoever surprises the other will control this game.

Prediction: Very close, back and forth game for a half.... Belfry starts to win the LOS in the second half, then in the 4th Quarter the Pirates put it away.

Belfry 34
Breathitt 20
I agree with u EKU this will be one heck of a game. we all know belfry has depth on the bobcats but i say breathitt comes out and strikes fast and first. fugate is a powerful runner but i say breathitt strikes first with a TD through the air to true freshman wide reciever J. Fletch
Belfry Big
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It's State Semi-Finals Day in the Mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year Mike Holcomb made IMO, the poorest decision of his illustrious career. He publicly stated for his team to "ignore the fullback" early in the game, and as a result Belfry ended up hanging 62 on the Bobcats. The fullback is the heartbeat of any Belfry team. The offense completely revolves around the success of the fullback on the belly read, or the strategy employed by the defense and their alignment to stop him.

After last season's debacle Holcomb has publicly went on record talking about how they have been preparing for Belfry all season, so I have a feeling he will not be ignoring anyone this year. Instead, what I expect from Breathitt is to see 11 guys in the box, press coverage on the receivers, and every blitz and stunt that John Chapman knows to be thrown at the Pirates. I also expect to see specific assignments on every play for the fullback to be accounted for and put on the ground. Breathitt will also align the defense to take away the quick hitters on the veer and belly.

Belfry's bread and butter tonight will have to come outside or on misdirection. If the Pirates can stretch the Bobcat's defense across the field efficiently, and maybe even mix in a couple passes to force the corners to honor the receivers and make safeties who will be walked up to stop the run have to play with a step of reluctance. If this occurs then Belfry, who has a decisive advantage in size/strength and depth on the O-line, will be able to wear adown a Breathitt team composed of mostly two way players.

Offensively I expect to see some new wrinkles out of Breathitt. The Belfry DE's have to stay at home and the safeties cannot get sucked in on the play. Channing Fugate may be the best individual player in the mountains, but he does not worry me if he is asked to carry his team, what worries me is Channing Fugate running the ball when Belfry has to devote 5-6 players specifically to pass coverage and the Pirates are not able to gang tackle him. If Belfry can limit Breathitt's passing game with two CB's and two safeties, and can effectively rush Haddix, then I like the Pirates chances of disrupting Fugate in the backfield.

Ultimately, what this game boils down to, is three things:

1. Who can win the first two seconds after the ball is hiked. If Breathitt is the team penetrating the backfield and forcing Belfyr to make rare mistakes and turnovers, the Bobcats can and will win this game. If Belfry is pressuring Haddix and keepign Fugate from getting a full head of steam then Belfry wins.

2. What tempo the game is played. If Breathitt dictates a tempo consistent with big plays and pass blocking, while forcing Belfry into quick posessions. Then fatigue will have no effect. If Belfry can grind out long drives, and force Breathitt to have to drive the ball on offense instead of scoring quick. Then Belfry's size and depth advantages will play a major role by the end of the game.

3.Who surprises the other the most. Breathitt has tricks up it's sleeve, but also the Bobcats find it inconceivable that Belfry could shut down Fugate. Additionally, Belfry has a lot more plays up their sleeve then they have been forced to show, and Befry fans do not feel Breathitt can overpower their line at shutting down their running game before it starts. Whoever surprises the other will control this game.

Prediction: Very close, back and forth game for a half.... Belfry starts to win the LOS in the second half, then in the 4th Quarter the Pirates put it away.

Belfry 34
Breathitt 20

If you think that Mike Holcomb instructed his team to ignore the FB on the Belly you are repeating gossip from someone who must have been smoking them left hand cigars. Get real; gossip like this is why people get a big kick by reading your professional assumptions.
bobcatlunatik Wrote:I agree with u EKU this will be one heck of a game. we all know belfry has depth on the bobcats but i say breathitt comes out and strikes fast and first. fugate is a powerful runner but i say breathitt strikes first with a TD through the air to true freshman wide reciever J. Fletch

True freshman? Isn't Fugate a "redshirt" junior? lol
Lets hope we can run to the split side tonight. I don't know if a sophomore guard can handle the Bobcats. As good as he's been, this is one of the best teams he'll face. Watch and see how he does, put the pressure on him. #50.

I'm totally posting this because he's right beside me and I like to motivate him. lol.
Belfry will win this one by at least 14 imo

ONE MORE TIME PIRATES!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/michaeldyemusic

[YOUTUBE="PIRATE ONE MORE TIME SONG"][/YOUTUBE]
Fugate is a junior not a redshirt junior though he hasnt held back. he also doesnt play wide reciever so im not talking about him. the true freshman wide reciever #80 josh fletcher scores first TD with a deep pass from jade haddix
Belfry Wins but Go Bobcats!!!
belfry by 10.... close game
Say what you want, Fugate will not lead this Bobcat team to victory. He is a kid just like all the other players that make up the Bobcats and the Pirates football teams.

It takes 11 playing as one, a team, that wants the game more and does whatever it takes, thru the blood and the pain to put that final score up before that final buzzer sounds. That's the team that will "Sail" on to Louisville next week. That team is the Belfry Pirates!

Fugate is a great player and his numbers prove that he is one of the top rushers in the state, but for one player to come into Belfry's CAM Stadium and single handedly beat the Pirates, that will not happen.

This game is going to be close for a half. Breathitt will come out fired up as will Belfry. But as Coach Haywood says he does not get worried. He knows his boys will line up time after time and rull the ball over your facemask. He has a number of backs that he can run in and out, his O Line will do their job and the Pirates will move the ball up and down the field all night long on the Bobcat D.

Breathitt will score as well but come the second half they will wear down and the Pirates will pull away for their 2nd straight trip to the Pizza Box.

Again taking nothing away from Breathitt Co. The Bobcats are a good team. They have made it to the State Semi Finals game tonight, but their season ends tonight on the Turf of the CAM.

Belfry is the better team and the Pirates will win tonght!

Belfry: 35
Breathitt Co: 14

LET"S GO BIG RED!!!:devilflam :devilflam :devilflam
I have seen a lot of comments about how Belfry is to good, stronger, and more talented. I am going to say that if breathitt does not turn the ball over and doesn't kick it out of bounds, then it will be a long night for both teams. My scor is that it will come down to has the ball last. Breathitt -26..............Belfry-23.

JMO if Fugate does get handled much better then he has this season then the score might be much different but I am going to say he will go for 2 TD's and 175 yards.
I have a feeling like it's going to be a close game for a while....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OK :confused: Theres a couple people on another site that is predicting Fugate will win this game by himself!!
Pirates~R~Us Wrote:OK :confused: Theres a couple people on another site that is predicting Fugate will win this game by himself!!

That's funny...I needed some comic relief!!! Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Six hours and 40 mins before kickoff. God I wish I could be there when the Bobcats come into CAM and leave with a huge W!
Very very scary game for the Pirates. Most fans are predicting a blowout, like last year, and I could possibly see the Pirates looking ahead to a rematch with Central. But the one thing that has me leaning to a very focused and determined Pirate team is some meetings with a few Belfry coaches. Seems they are very impressed with Breathitt and all agree this game will in no way resemble last years. At least we know the coaches are preparing for a war which should trickle down to the players hopefully muffling any talk of a return trip to the carpet. Belfry must have their heads on straight for this one or they will be sorely disappointed. Breathitt can play and they can attack you at multiple levels. I believe Belfry will win but this one will be a barnburner down to the last possession.

Belfry wins by 7-10 points with a big defensive stop(fumble or int) very late in the 4th quarter.
I personally haven't heard of any of the players or coaches...... or fans for that matter predicting a "blowout". They should be ready to play ball! They know they HAVE to play ball!

With that being said...imo IF they come out and play Belfry ball they will take the W TongueirateSho
wooderson Wrote:Very very scary game for the Pirates. Most fans are predicting a blowout, like last year, and I could possibly see the Pirates looking ahead to a rematch with Central. But the one thing that has me leaning to a very focused and determined Pirate team is some meetings with a few Belfry coaches. Seems they are very impressed with Breathitt and all agree this game will in no way resemble last years. At least we know the coaches are preparing for a war which should trickle down to the players hopefully muffling any talk of a return trip to the carpet. Belfry must have their heads on straight for this one or they will be sorely disappointed. Breathitt can play and they can attack you at multiple levels. I believe Belfry will win but this one will be a barnburner down to the last possession.

Belfry wins by 7-10 points with a big defensive stop(fumble or int) very late in the 4th quarter.

No doubt Breathitt will be ready...I expect a close game. I think Belfry will be just as ready as the Cats. It will take a total team effort by both teams to win this game. I also think that whoever controls the LOS wins...Plain and simple.

Breathitt cannot afford to come in and lay it on the ground, it will be a long night for the Cats if they can't hang onto the ball.

Belfry just needs to come out focused on Breathitt and take care of business, and they should be fine.

I would say the playbook will be open tonight on both sidelines and anything goes!

Go Pirates!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry and Bell are much alike. Breathitt can't line up and stop them. Belfry will use their power to smash all of Breathitts hopes. I wish I could say this would be a great game to watch but I can't. Thati is, unlesss you're a Belfry fan.
State Champs Wrote:If you think that Mike Holcomb instructed his team to ignore the FB on the Belly you are repeating gossip from someone who must have been smoking them left hand cigars. Get real; gossip like this is why people get a big kick by reading your professional assumptions.

It would have looked better on Holcomb if he did instruct his team to ignore the fullback the way Dotson ended up running the ball. At least there would have been a good explanation for the success up the middle. Or was it just that he and his team went 4 quarters never making an adjustment? Also, did Belfry just block the middle good enough that it would not have mattered either way? BTW, State Champs, I like reading your posts on here, but ole EKU is usually right on with his thoughts and predictions.
We have had the XM set for the AC/DC station all day today at work..I am ready!
See you guys in a few hours.
Belfry 34

Breathitt 16
I cant wait for this game! Woot!
TongueirateSho LETS GO BELFRY
Belfry 42

Breathitt 17
On my way out the door now....

Go Big Red!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry 35
Breathitt 20
BelfryPride Wrote:I have a feeling like it's going to be a close game for a while....

Yeah, it'll be a close game for another 2 and a half hours Tongue

Am I the only one predicting a blowout??? I actually hope I'm wrong.

BTW, the bobcat dline was just too weak last year to stop the inside game for Belfry. Not taking anything away from the big guys last year, but Breathitt was probably the smallest front they saw the whole year. A LOT smaller. That is a big part of why our RBs averaged something like 15 ypc that game.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next