•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County Pirates 2008
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:Don't know where you are getting those #'s from. They do have some that are pretty strong, and a couple that have decent speed, but those numbers are not completely accurate. Their fastest returning RB runs in the mid 4.7 range and the other 2 or 3 run in the upper 4.7 / lower 4.8 range. One interior lineman runs a 5.0. and the rest are just a little slower. The ends run a 4.73 and a 5.0. As far as the over 400, there are 6 to 7. We're still pretty proud of our bunch nonetheless.

Numbers are "supposedly" coming from coaching staff. They say it is the fastest and strongest team they have ever put on the field, since the beginning of football at the school.
Journeyman Wrote:Estill has 10 lineman that squat over 400, they won another big state lift competition also. Out of those 10 lineman, 8 of them run under a 4.9. Only problem, Breathitt, not as strong and fast but much better coached. Estill's top RB is a 4.5, the other two are low 4.7's, not going to matter, look for the same record out of them next year with their schedule. You guys put too much emphasis in strength!

Smile Smile :lmao: :lmao:
bluegrassballa Wrote:Smile Smile :lmao: :lmao:

My friend, laugh if you want! Estill is absolutely loaded! And the good part for them is the sophomore and freshmen class coming up. They look like giants on the field that can run like deer! If internal problems can be fixed and they can get the defense to just giving up 14 pts. per game, they are gonna be hard to beat. They gave up 24 pts. per game last year, which cost them in the end. Hard to outscore the Bobcats, if you know what I mean. Talked with a long time coaching friend from the mountains, he said he had never seen an Estill team like last years (talking about talent), they are all back with more strength and speed, so we will see.
NIECE Wrote:My friend, laugh if you want! Estill is absolutely loaded! And the good part for them is the sophomore and freshmen class coming up. They look like giants on the field that can run like deer! (If internal problems can be fixed and they can get the defense to just giving up 14 pts. per game, they are gonna be hard to beat. They gave up 24 pts. per game last year, which cost them in the end. Hard to outscore the Bobcats, if you know what I mean. Talked with a long time coaching friend from the mountains, he said he had never seen an Estill team like last years (talking about talent), they are all back with more strength and speed, so we will see.
Jones is a good coach and does a good job. He fielded the best Estill team ever that beat Russell a couple years ago. Whitaker is an offensive genius and if Powell can get their defense much improved they will be alot better this season. Wink
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Jones is a good coach and does a good job. He fielded the best Estill team ever that beat Russell a couple years ago. Whitaker is an offensive genius and if Powell can get their defense much improved they will be alot better this season. Wink

Please don't insult my intelligence about Estill football, for I have been around it for 30+ years. That was not the best Estill football team fielded, perhaps the most talented I will give you that. They gave up more than 30 pts per game. Yes they beat Russell, wow, they have also lost to Powell more than they ever have. Estill has beaten the likes of Scott Co., Breathitt Co., and yes they were good then, Lincoln Co., who has two state tournament trips, Boyle Co, heard of them?. If you don't know, Morgan beat Magoffin last year also, the only game they one, after Powell had whipped them. Anything can happen in football. The best team fielded was 1992 when they went 9-1, only losing to Danville in regular season. The line averaged 135 from tackle to tackle, they only gave up around 12 pts per game. They lost to Cotton Adams and Corbin in the playoffs, Danville went on to win the state. The second best team fielded was 1995. They lost to eventual state champions Breathitt early in the season and ran the table against,Magoffin, Hazard, Mercer co., Corbin, Somerset, Madison Southern, Wayne Co, and the only district loss came at Rockastle Co., the last game of the year. They beat Anderson co. first round of the playoffs at home and lost to Danville in the second round at Danville 12-0, who had Breathitt beat in the semi's until a late punt return by the Bobcats. That team gave up around 14 pts. per game. If you notice the two teams I have mentioned played winning programs. Our non-district schedule last year had 1 team that was 500, Magoffin, which lost to Morgan a one win team. You can win 9 games every year when the people you play don't combine to win 15 games. What happens when you gotta play the big boys, complete disaster. If you want more history on Estill football, I will be glad to give it to you, but what you have been seeing is not Estill Tradition. You see, you can know all there is too know about offense and you can practice it and get real good, BUT, if you don't spend time and a lot of it on DEFENSE, especially tackling, and something easy for the kids to grasp, along with a solid special teams, you can band aid a scar, but the wound will eventually show!Wink
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Jones is a good coach and does a good job. He fielded the best Estill team ever that beat Russell a couple years ago. Whitaker is an offensive genius and if Powell can get their defense much improved they will be alot better this season. Wink

Powell's defense improved 200 pts from the previous year. From around 480 to 290, close to 50%. Had Breathitt and Bath not put 100 up, that would have been a bigger improvement. We stopped the people we were supposed to, but we just couldn't move the ball across the goal line. You can stop bashing me when/if you want too. Sorry I spent $2000 trying to help the program since that is what it cost me to drive over their and be a volunteer. Powell has had one or maybe two other teams who give up less. They should be better this year with age and maturity, I wish them luck because they have some good kids and I like the defensive coordinator brought in, he's out the old school also! So look for a lot of the same style defense. He don't mind if you bash him either!Cool

Whitaker may be an offensive genius, what happens when a team stops you and you can't stop them, I think you guys got beat by Jackson Co. last year, right?, two year program. You kept them from scoring a lot I think but only put up 6. Make your excuse and get back with me. I would say Jones is as good if not better with an offensive mind than Whitaker. Jones plays great ball control, he also knows all passing offenses of the past and present.
So Powell County supporters, what's the deal with dropping Harlan County from the schedule and thus forfeiting your chances at a District title?

Hard to paint a positive picture for Powell County on this one as they claimed to "already have a game scheduled". Why schedule over your district schedule? Isn't a district game and the opportunity to compete for a district title more imporant than a meaningless non-district game?
Who is Powell Co. playing instead of Harlan Co.? Shouldn't they play the district game?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So Powell County supporters, what's the deal with dropping Harlan County from the schedule and thus forfeiting your chances at a District title?

Hard to paint a positive picture for Powell County on this one as they claimed to "already have a game scheduled". Why schedule over your district schedule? Isn't a district game and the opportunity to compete for a district title more imporant than a meaningless non-district game?

"Cawood" sent a premature void contract when they thought they would be in a different district, without consent from the KHSAA. I agree, if your not playing for the district, why even field a team! Breathitt will be 20-30 pts better than Harlan Co. anyway. Larkey is a great coach but so is Hillard Howard and it took him 3-4 years to get Letcher Central on the same page. Evarts, Cawood, and Cumberland don't have the talent that Mercer Co had when combining with a traditional power house like Harrodsburg. Powell now has two games scheduled on the same day which gives them 11. It is not going to happen, they will either forfeit and play nine which will leave Harlan with 9 games or they will play it, which is a home game for them anyway. Agreed it looks like running from competition just to get a hopeful win against a first year program.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Who is Powell Co. playing instead of Harlan Co.? Shouldn't they play the district game?

They have scheduled and are trying to play Walton-Verona, a first year program. The contract is done, however, it is in the hands of the KHSAA right now. The KHSAA could actually make them forfeit the other district games also which could leave them with 5 games, if they wanted to push it. That would be sad because it would leave all in the district with 9 games.
NIECE Wrote:"Cawood" sent a premature void contract when they thought they would be in a different district, without consent from the KHSAA. I agree, if your not playing for the district, why even field a team! Breathitt will be 20-30 pts better than Harlan Co. anyway. Larkey is a great coach but so is Hillard Howard and it took him 3-4 years to get Letcher Central on the same page. Evarts, Cawood, and Cumberland don't have the talent that Mercer Co had when combining with a traditional power house like Harrodsburg. Powell now has two games scheduled on the same day which gives them 11. It is not going to happen, they will either forfeit and play nine which will leave Harlan with 9 games or they will play it, which is a home game for them anyway. Agreed it looks like running from competition just to get a hopeful win against a first year program.

I don't see HCHS being as good as Mercer either, their fans seem to think they are going to step in and immeidately be the class of the mountains, BUT comparing HCHS w/ LCC is inaccurate.

LCC was a consolidation of 3 schools (Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, Letcher: Comparatively a 3A, a 1A, and a 1A) with only two schools fielding a football team previously. HCHS is a consolidation of 3 schools (Cawood, Evarts, Cumberland: Comparatively a 3A, 1A, and 1A), with all 3 schools fielding a football team. Cumberland has had some solid 1A teams and Cawood/Whitesburg is a wash, let alone Evarts/Letcher as a distinct advantage. LCC immediately was placed into their proper classification, whereas HCHS will "play down" for a year. The pieces are together for HCHS to put together a nice team, but they are a loong way away from the elite 3A teams (Belfry, Lou. Central, Pad. Tilghman, Russell, and Breathitt)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I don't see HCHS being as good as Mercer either, their fans seem to think they are going to step in and immeidately be the class of the mountains, BUT comparing HCHS w/ LCC is inaccurate.

LCC was a consolidation of 3 schools (Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, Letcher: Comparatively a 3A, a 1A, and a 1A) with only two schools fielding a football team previously. HCHS is a consolidation of 3 schools (Cawood, Evarts, Cumberland: Comparatively a 3A, 1A, and 1A), with all 3 schools fielding a football team. Cumberland has had some solid 1A teams and Cawood/Whitesburg is a wash, let alone Evarts/Letcher as a distinct advantage. LCC immediately was placed into their proper classification, whereas HCHS will "play down" for a year. The pieces are together for HCHS to put together a nice team, but they are a loong way away from the elite 3A teams (Belfry, Lou. Central, Pad. Tilghman, Russell, and Breathitt)

All three schools that consolidated into LCC had football.
Benchwarmer Wrote:All three schools that consolidated into LCC had football.

Letcher High School

Coach: Charles Hall
Latest Stats Report: November 4, 2004

DATE
OPPONENT
SITE
SCORE
Aug 21, '04 Clay County Clay County 0 - 66 (L)
Aug 28, '04 Evarts Letcher 8 - 53 (L)
Sep 3, '04 Berea Letcher 12 - 58 (L)
Sep 10, '04 Cumberland Cumberland 0 - 48 (L)
Sep 18, '04 Rowan County Letcher 0 - 69 (L)
Sep 25, '04 Jenkins Letcher 0 - 54 (L)
Oct 1, '04 Pendleton County Pendleton County 0 - 97 (L)
Oct 8, '04 Open Letcher -
Oct 15, '04 Phelps Phelps 20 - 56 (L)
Oct 22, '04 Betsy Layne Betsy Layne 6 - 46 (L)
Oct 30, '04 Big Creek, WV Letcher 12 - 45 (L)
Schedule and scores last updated at Nov 1, 2004 12:23pm CST
I guess you're right... they did for one year prior... or... they sort of had a team I guess... 97-0! Wow!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I guess you're right... they did for one year prior... or... they sort of had a team I guess... 97-0! Wow!

Pendleton looked like a real class act scoring 97! Imagine how many Clay Co could have scored. When Betsy Layne and Phelps hand it too you it's kind of hard to say you have a team. I think they were mainly freshmen and sophomores who had never played anything except backyard ball talking with the LCC coaches. So Coach Howard has done a good job. They definately have one of the best facilities in Kentucky and Harlan is supposed to be doing the same thing. Tom Larkey is an excellent coach, but he is not going impact 3A this year. Give him a couple and he will be tough in 5/6 A wherever they land. Evarts, Cawood, and Cumberland are such rivals that it could pose a huge problem for TEAMWORK! Cawood has not been that tough of late, Cumberland has two good backs, don't know much about Evarts. I don't think I would run from them. Worse case scenario; upset Coach Larkey w/ all this, he puts together a good team, you have to play him, they come to your place and beat you as bad as they can. Some people jump too quick and it always comes back around! Best scenario; you have to play them, they hate each other and can't get along on the field, and Powell pulls off the biggest upset in schools history! Playing a first year school is a lose lose situation. If you win your supposed to, if they beat you, long season, I would say it would be worse than losing to a two year school (Jackson Co). You cannot get better unless you prepare yourself by playing the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was loaded with talent that year and struggled every game except for Montogomery and Powell. Every game was who had the ball last in a high scoring game. He only lost his good running back and a couple of other players and was 3-7 the next year then 0-17 the next two before winning. And yes Powell beat them two years in a row. The year after you are referring too, they blew a 10 point lead with two minutes left in the game and lost to Bruce Jone's Powell team.
F.N.L. Wrote:He was loaded with talent that year and struggled every game except for Montogomery and Powell. Every game was who had the ball last in a high scoring game. He only lost his good running back and a couple of other players and was 3-7 the next year then 0-17 the next two before winning. And yes Powell beat them two years in a row. The year after you are referring too, they blew a 10 point lead with two minutes left in the game and lost to Bruce Jone's Powell team.

Yes he was loaded with talent, but you can't say he struggled every game except those two. They controlled Russell well, and that game was nowhere near decided by who had the ball last. Neither was the Johnson Central game. The defense wasn't what it should have been, but it wasn't a struggle every game.
NIECE Wrote:They gave up more than 30 pts per game. Yes they beat Russell, wow, they have also lost to Powell more than they ever have.

From what I'm looking at it seems they gave up 22 a game in the regular season and 25 including their playoff game. Correct me if I'm wrong.
strings Wrote:From what I'm looking at it seems they gave up 22 a game in the regular season and 25 including their playoff game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. They held Powell to 6 and Nicholas to 0 and a horrible Mongomery team to 6. I don't think those 3 teams won 5 games combined that year. 25 pts per game, way to much to be successful if you want to be legit! Like I mentioned most games were who had the ball last except for Russell and Johnson Central. The team should have been competing for a region championship but when you can't keep people from scoring and THEY CAN play defense, you are DONE!
strings Wrote:Yes he was loaded with talent, but you can't say he struggled every game except those two. They controlled Russell well, and that game was nowhere near decided by who had the ball last. Neither was the Johnson Central game. The defense wasn't what it should have been, but it wasn't a struggle every game.

I have to disagree. It took 2 overtimes to beat a very sub par Lewis team (32-30), Morgan Co. was not decided until the end (32-22) I think was the final when Estill scored late, Morgan was not very tough, struggled with a below sub par West Carter before winning (49-32), and were beaten by an average Fleming Co. team (52-36) at home. Look at the scores and the teams they speak for themselves. They did lose to a average East Carter (37-38), again look at the points scored. The Nicholas win was 12-0, Nicholas Co. was not even below sub par that year. The Defense has not been what it should have been going on 10 years now! We have had more talent in the past 10 years than we have had since splitting with Irvine High!:Thumbs:
NIECE Wrote:I have to disagree. It took 2 overtimes to beat a very sub par Lewis team (32-30), Morgan Co. was not decided until the end (32-22) I think was the final when Estill scored late, Morgan was not very tough, struggled with a below sub par West Carter before winning (49-32), and were beaten by an average Fleming Co. team (52-36) at home. Look at the scores and the teams they speak for themselves. They did lose to a average East Carter (37-38), again look at the points scored. The Nicholas win was 12-0, Nicholas Co. was not even below sub par that year. The Defense has not been what it should have been going on 10 years now! We have had more talent in the past 10 years than we have had since splitting with Irvine High!:Thumbs:
That's right Defense is everything!! If people can line up and run it right down your throat whenever they want then you end up 3-7 or in that range. But you are right you have to play Defense.Cool Hopefully Powell's D will be better with alot of underclassmen who started last year getting another year in the weight room.
Powell's D scheme needs to be more oriented to fitting their personel. Coach Whitaker will have them much better on both sides of the ball and I'm sure he will have the say in what D scheme they will be running so it will be much improved.TongueirateSho
Powell came down to Somerset this morning for a passing scrimmage. Powell looked like they had a pretty good coaching staff. They seemed to be explaining and coaching the players a lot on the new schemes and slowing the game down and coaching the players. They seemed like a pretty good staff.

For the life of me, I don't see how they played today in the black helmets, black shirts, and black shorts. It is burning up here in Somerset today and I don't see how they stood it LOL
F.N.L. Wrote:He was loaded with talent that year and struggled every game except for Montogomery and Powell. Every game was who had the ball last in a high scoring game. He only lost his good running back and a couple of other players and was 3-7 the next year then 0-17 the next two before winning. And yes Powell beat them two years in a row. The year after you are referring too, they blew a 10 point lead with two minutes left in the game and lost to Bruce Jone's Powell team.

There were only three games that were really close. The one point loss to East Carter, the double OT win over Lewis, and the Morgan game. Fleming was better than average, the Russell game was never in question, it was 35-7 until the last 30 seconds of the 4th when a kickoff was returned to make the score 35-14. West Carter was not sub par, that was the best Comet team in the last 7 years at least. The Johnson Central game was never close, just a very long, very grinding game. I really don't see where the Engineers struggled that year. Second, they lost more than a couple of players in '03, they lost half of their starters, 7 that I'm counting (most played both ways) and the remaining starters didn't have much experience. All junior starters that year were starters for the first time, as well as starting two sophomores. I expected a more educated post from you F.N.L.:confused:
MR.PERFECT Wrote:That's right Defense is everything!! If people can line up and run it right down your throat whenever they want then you end up 3-7 or in that range. But you are right you have to play Defense.Cool Hopefully Powell's D will be better with alot of underclassmen who started last year getting another year in the weight room.
Powell's D scheme needs to be more oriented to fitting their personel. Coach Whitaker will have them much better on both sides of the ball and I'm sure he will have the say in what D scheme they will be running so it will be much improved.TongueirateSho

Powell's Defense would have been better last year IF we had drilled defense the right way and got to learn how to tackle and play assignments. For your information, Coach Whitaker changed to the schemes he wanted anyway! Don't look for nothing new if you are not changing your practice habits. One and one half to two hours a day does not build a program! :Clap: By the way we did give up 28 pts a game, which is half from the previous year. Estill however give up 24 pts. per game, yet they were 9-3, why, because they OUTSCORED people. :thumpsup:
Lucky13 Wrote:There were only three games that were really close. The one point loss to East Carter, the double OT win over Lewis, and the Morgan game. Fleming was better than average, the Russell game was never in question, it was 35-7 until the last 30 seconds of the 4th when a kickoff was returned to make the score 35-14. West Carter was not sub par, that was the best Comet team in the last 7 years at least. The Johnson Central game was never close, just a very long, very grinding game. I really don't see where the Engineers struggled that year. Second, they lost more than a couple of players in '03, they lost half of their starters, 7 that I'm counting (most played both ways) and the remaining starters didn't have much experience. All junior starters that year were starters for the first time, as well as starting two sophomores. I expected a more educated post from you F.N.L.:confused:

West Carter had one good running back! They were not that good Lucky 13.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:That's right Defense is everything!! If people can line up and run it right down your throat whenever they want then you end up 3-7 or in that range. But you are right you have to play Defense.Cool Hopefully Powell's D will be better with alot of underclassmen who started last year getting another year in the weight room.

You are right! Powell had to start a lot of UNDERCLASSMMEN! So for what they did they were fine, just needed more drilling and discipline. Get a grip man. Read what you write before you post. You are not going to beat juniors and seniors with underclassmen. Whatever you got against me, get over it! If not, deal with it, I have more than enough accomplishments to show I know what I am talking about!
NIECE Wrote:You are right! Powell had to start a lot of UNDERCLASSMMEN! So for what they did they were fine, just needed more drilling and discipline. Get a grip man. Read what you write before you post. You are not going to beat juniors and seniors with underclassmen. Whatever you got against me, get over it! If not, deal with it, I have more than enough accomplishments to show I know what I am talking about!

let it go please, our boys don't have anything to do with some of the quotes made by people on hear.
NIECE Wrote:Powell's Defense would have been better last year IF we had drilled defense the right way and got to learn how to tackle and play assignments. For your information, Coach Whitaker changed to the schemes he wanted anyway! Don't look for nothing new if you are not changing your practice habits. One and one half to two hours a day does not build a program! :Clap: By the way we did give up 28 pts a game, which is half from the previous year. Estill however give up 24 pts. per game, yet they were 9-3, why, because they OUTSCORED people. :thumpsup:

i have a question. who cares about Estill, this is a Powell thread. i have another question that has bothered me for a while. last year why did our kids not practice all week before the last game?

i don't know a lot, but i am pretty sure a head coach decides what happens. why are you putting our coach down?
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next