•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Now for that matter I noticed you also conveniently stopped at 2007...

2006 Belfry All Day over a 9-3 Bell team
2005 Toss-Up...though Belfry went farther both got crushed by a very good Henry Clay team.Very slight edge to Belfry.
2004 Close but just like 2008 Belfry has the hardware. For further rpoof Bell lost to Pburg who Belfry beat twice.
2003 Belfry and it is not even fair to even try to compare
2002 Tossup. Both team defeated in the Regional Finals to excellent opponents. EVEN
2001 Bell County...by a good stretch

By my count over the past 14 years I would only take the Bell County team 4 times... Belfry OTOH I have 6 times definitively and with the slight edge twice more.
Since I was bored, and was up late unable to sleep I figured id see what calpreps thought about a belfry/bell co. matchup each year back to 03. 03 is as far back as there computer goes. They have it 8-4 in favor of bell co. in the past 12 years.
03 bell 31-27
04 bell 28-21
05 bell 38-24
06 bell 26-21
07 belfry 31-30
08 bell 31-21
09 bell 38-13
10 bell 40-12
11 belfry 28-26
12 bell 22-21
13 belfry 28-6
14 belfry 28-13
Not that it means a lot but it looks like belfry was significantly better in 13, and 14. Bell was significantly better in 05, 09, and 10. 08 bell was supposedly a descent amount better but not as much as the other years. The remaining 6 years they have them very close, and it looks like it could be argued either way.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Not that it means a lot but it looks like belfry was significantly better in 13, and 14. Bell was significantly better in 05, 09, and 10. 08 bell was supposedly a descent amount better but not as much as the other years. The remaining 6 years they have them very close, and it looks like it could be argued either way.

:pondering:
Anything to report from spring practice?
killbilly usmc Wrote:Since I was bored, and was up late unable to sleep I figured id see what calpreps thought about a belfry/bell co. matchup each year back to 03. 03 is as far back as there computer goes. They have it 8-4 in favor of bell co. in the past 12 years.
03 bell 31-27
04 bell 28-21
05 bell 38-24
06 bell 26-21
07 belfry 31-30
08 bell 31-21
09 bell 38-13
10 bell 40-12
11 belfry 28-26
12 bell 22-21
13 belfry 28-6
14 belfry 28-13

Wait, so you're telling me statistically, Bell would hold the overall advantage. Better hush hush on that one. You aren't allowed to disagree :eyeroll:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You watched Belfry play Whitley in 2009 and 2010... the two weakest Belfry teams of the past fifteen years.

You honestly give thought to Bell County in 2013? That alone just blew your whole argument out of the water. Bell County got a running clock put on them by Wayne County and lost by two scores to Middlesboro. They also lost to a Harlan County team Belfry beat.

I have no problem saying Bell County had the better team in 2009 and 2010. As I said those were two Belfry teams that were not very good.

There also is no way to argue Bell deserves the credit for 2008 when they won the title...even though that Belfry team was darn good and was upset by Breathitt looking ahead.

With that said 2011 and 2012? Get out of here with that nonsense.

2011 Central beat Bell 26-0 as Bell found out how good the Yellowjackets really are... Belfry lost 15-14 and it took a perfect pass in the back of the endzone for Central to win.

2012 Bell couldn't even beat Central on their homefield with Central's starting QB out with a concussion. Everyone hyped how Bell had their calendar circled and how it would be a different story on log mountain. Belfry lost to Central as well..but by this point Central was back to full strength and it took Overtime to win it.

The only toss-up year is 2007. That Belfry team was scary good and obliterated everything in their path including Johnson Central and a very good and undefeated Breathitt County team. Bell County was very strong too though their schedule left a lot to be desired as they went undefeated as well. Both teams beat Sheldon Clark by similar margins in the regular season, but Belfry put a running clock on them in the playoffs. The only difference is Bell got crushed by a very good LexCath team in the Regional Finals..whereas Belfry got upset by an underdog Central team.

Belfry:

Bell:

Toss-Up w/ Edge Belfry:

Once again..this isn't your Grand Dad's Bell County anymore...Dudley ain't walking through that door and since he has left there is a clear distinction between Belfry and Bell. You will never see me deny that in Dudley's prime Bell was at times on another level (Though Holcomb's Breathitt teams were the best to ever come out)

Let me start off by saying, im the only one in this argument who isn't biased.
My distaste for Bell County in general is much more than Belfry ever could be, so the fact that im having to argue in there favor shows how much of a reality what im saying is.

I stand by my statement. I also didn't "conveniently" stop at 07. For one, I'm too lazy to go any further back, and secondly, I figured Belfry wouldn't come close to Bell County from lets say 95-07. How "convenient" that you call two of the Belfry teams I seen the "worst".:biggrin:
If you really prefer the overall research, I can prove some. I am not going to compare scores though. That is completely useless, and I would imagine would favor Bell County anyways.
So lets go back to 2000. Turn of the century. (Or if you want that one point win over Bell in 99 ill give you that one).

Bell- 6-5
Belfry - 7-5
IMHO, virtual toss up. Belfry was still a couple of years away from being a contender and Bell was in the Tommy Greer years. That's all that needs to be said.

Bell- 9-4
Belfry- 8-5
Close game, but I give advantage Bell. Bell was tougher that year.

Bell- 10-3
Belfry- 10-3
The real king of EKY during this little stretch was Rock. If not for Rock during this little stretch, Bell would have been playing a lot longer. Belfry still couldn't get past Breathitt. Another toss up to me, but I still give the slight edge to Bell.

Bell- 8-2
Belfry- 13-2 State Champion
Belfry without question. Bell struggled in 03. Belfry with a running clock in that one.

Bell- 13-1
Belfry- 14-1 State Champion
I'm sure many would assume just because of the state title, Belfry would have been better in 04. I DO NOT see that as the case. IMHO, Bell's 04 team was one of the best they ever fielded. I watched them lose to Highlands, who we all know played an ineligible player and had to forfeit. You take Highlands out of that, and Bell wins the state title too that year. Other than getting hosed at Pburg (the same team that took Belfry to OT) Bell was really good that year. It was also the last time theyd lost to an EKY team for almost a decade if im not mistaken.
This would have been one hell of a ball game, but id take Bell.

Bell- 10-3
Belfry- 11-3

Another toss up as per usual. Im going to give Belfry a slight advantage in 05 just because, but the same could be said for Bell.

Bell- 9-3
Belfry- 10-3
Rock was starting to screw with Bell again in 05 and 06. There last time doing so. Im going to give Belfry this year.

Bell- 12-1
Belfry- 14-1

Honestly, this game could be considered a toss up as well. Id give the slight advantage to Belfry but not by much. Comparable scores, and both teams would have played each other close.

Bell- 15-0 State Champion
Belfry- 13-1

I read your post about 08. I don't know what your thinking, but IMO, Bell all day everyday in 08. Belfry doesn't touch that team.

Bell- 12-2
Belfry- 8-4
Not even close. Bell again.

Bell- 13-1
Belfry- 10-5
Not even close. Bell again. Maybe the most lopsided game in the series had they played.

Bell- 11-2
Belfry- 13-2

Ill give you this year only because Belfry played Central a few points closer, but it could have been a toss up.

Bell- 10-3
Belfry- 12-3

Both lost to Central again. Belfry just had the luxury of being in the east as always. Im going complete toss up on this one.

Bell- 7-5
Belfry- 14-1 State Champs

Belfry and it wouldn't have been close. Bell was just horrid in 13. Complete rebuild job.

Bell- 9-3
Belfry- 13-2 State Champ
Belfry gets the edge, but it would have been a decent game.

So in total....

Bell sure wins- 08, 09, 10
Belfry sure wins- 03, 13, 14
Bell slight edge- 01, 02, 04
Belfry slight edge- 05, 06, 11

Complete Toss up- 00, 07, 12

Mark it down.
^^^

I can get on board with that but 04 still has to be Belfry...no doubt.

Hosed or not Bell lost to a Pburg team that Belfry beat twice, including a 2 TD win (though that game was super tight in actuality). Belfry has the hardware. Bell put up a valiant effort against Highlands but still lost that game at Home.

That 2004 Belfry team was possibly the most prolific rushing offense to come out of Kentucky in 30 years. You are talking about a team who ran for 500 yards in the State Finals. Could one hypothesize Bell could beat Belfry that year? Sure. The facts though suggest nothing to merit Bell would be the pick though.
As much as I enjoy the exercise you guys are going through, does anyone have a report from spring practice? Wink
EKUAlum05 Wrote:^^^

Hosed or not Bell lost to a Pburg team that Belfry beat twice, including a 2 TD win (though that game was super tight in actuality). Belfry has the hardware. Bell put up a valiant effort against Highlands but still lost that game at Home.

That 2004 Belfry team was possibly the most prolific rushing offense to come out of Kentucky in 30 years. You are talking about a team who ran for 500 yards in the State Finals. Could one hypothesize Bell could beat Belfry that year? Sure. The facts though suggest nothing to merit Bell would be the pick though.

I would think the 2012 Fairview team would have to be considered the best rushing offense ever in kentucky. To bad they had no passing game, and didnt have a defense or they would have been unstoppable.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I would think the 2012 Fairview team would have to be considered the best rushing offense ever in kentucky. To bad they had no passing game, and didnt have a defense or they would have been unstoppable.

sounds like my 2008 Colonels.
PaytoPlay Wrote:http://recruiting.scout.com/story/154227...t-marshall

:Clap:
^ Good man Doug.

It always makes me happy to see Mountain players get some pub. Hopefully this is only the beginning for those two stud D-lineman.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:^^^

Alright so weve got it down to one year for all the marbles Confusednicker:

Ill be completely honest when I say I only seen Belfry play in the title game that year. Ill also give you the superb display of rushing that Belfry put on that year. I do have to discount the hardware fact though. There was a big difference in 2A and 3A when we only had four classes. I don't think Belfry would have beaten Highlands and Bell (while they were at home) played them down to the wire. I watched the entire game from the 30. Highlands fans will disagree so I really hope they are not reading this thread so I don't have to put up with them, but Mitchell was a game changer for Highlands that night, and as we learnt later on shouldn't have played in that game. (Yes Highlands fans I know some fairy tale judge changed it, but the rules are rules and Bell still shows that game as a win in the record books do to forfeit).
Obviously I did not travel to Pburg to watch Bell play them, but I have never met any Bell fan or anyone who watched tape of that game say that Pburg was even close to Bell. Ive also heard the majority of Pburg fans that have mentioned it on here admit somewhat that it was ugly. That year really turned the corner for Dudley and Bell. To my knowledge they didn't lose another game to EKY competition for almost a decade.
If I was given three "what if" games of my lifetime in KY high school football, one of them would be to place those two against each other and watch them back in time.
There are many different arguments that could be made. For example, Belfry drubbed Pikeville that year. Pikeville beat Pburg by two scores which makes no sense considering how they played against Belfry and Bell. Ill also throw in a kicker. That same Pikeville team is the team that beat what I consider the best Wburg team I ever watched in my 25 years of going to high school games. Forget these past couple of Wburg teams. They wouldn't hold a candle to that 04 team that Pikeville beat by a late score.
I think it says a lot for the quality of football during that year, and something im not sure we matched sense. (Don't forget Pikeville got mercy ruled by Beechwood that year if im not mistaken.) Does that mean Beechwood was 3 TD's better than all of them? lol.

I will give an inch and move that 04 game to a toss up for others satisfaction, but that Bell team was ridiculously good just as Belfry and there all star backfield was. I still think Robbins is one of the most underrated backs ive seen come out of EKY. Dont forget he was almost a 3000 yard rusher that year. Had they got one more game, he might of been. That kid could run the football. Sheer power with enough speed to outrun all of the competition around here. I think hes what you had if you combined Howard and Jones into one. For whatever reason he just never got the recognition of those two except for on sports OT which he lived on that year. Bell only gave up about 85 yards rushing a game that year. (Around 85 passing too) Belfry averaged around 350 rushing yards a game. Something would of had to give, but im not sure what. That Bell team was big, but they weren't the fat slow types by any means. I do think that 04 Belfry team might be the best rushing team weve seen in our lifetime. To pretty much have two 2000 yard rushers is ridiculous. Bell wasn't no slouch in the run game either though. They averaged around 330 a game.

What a game it could have been....
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Good man Doug.

It always makes me happy to see Mountain players get some pub. Hopefully this is only the beginning for those two stud D-lineman.

I love it too. I wish them a bright future.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think it says a lot for the quality of football during that year, and something im not sure we matched sense. (Don't forget Pikeville got mercy ruled by Beechwood that year if im not mistaken.) Does that mean Beechwood was 3 TD's better than all of them? lol.

What a game it could have been....

That was a fantastic year for football... that Pburg team was really tough. Probably one of the best Pburg teams they have had and even though the 2A Final Score was close..there was no doubt in mind who the 2nd best team was that year. Pburg simply didn't have the game breaker needed against Belfry.. lots of good players who played as a team but didn't have that one elite player who could turn a missed tackle into a 60 yard TD.

I will also concede Pburg beat Bell early. That's not to say the outcome may have changed if they played later..but Bell was really clicking by the time they played Highlands. Robbins was a great HS back and to be honest a Robbins type of player is what Bell was missing last year and it looks like the same heading into this season. Davenport was a good back but he lacked the physicality to be effective against Central or any other elite run defense.

When you play the grind it out style of power football you need an elite defense and one guy who can take over a game on offense if you plan to win a Title.

When you look at Belfry's 4 Championship teams you see that. Belfry also had that in 2007 but did not capitalize. Belfry will have the defense again this year but the question now is can a guy like Corbett fill the role as the game changer on offense.
PaytoPlay Wrote:http://recruiting.scout.com/story/154227...t-marshall

I think I heard Horton is at the Rivals camp this weekend. Chance for him to shine and get his name out heavy on the recruiting stage.
^ That is good to hear. He is a little short, but I think when they see his strength and burst, the experts will like what they see. Bently has good athleticism too but his ticket is that Paul Bunyon'esque size.
Horton's instincts are what impresses me. His ability to anticipate plays and get to the ball is ridiculous. He is also a smart kid too. You rarely see him make the same mistake twice. Just a kid who is grounded and kills it on the field.

Bentley is a straight up Bear! Kid can play a number of positions with that size and he just keeps improving. You can also tell he "wants" it. EKY athletes and in particular Belfry kids have had chances to play college ball and wasted it because that motivation was not there. You can tell Bentley desperately wants to play at a high level.
Horton did attend Rivals Camp today in STL.

Jedrick Willis from Lafayette got OL MVP of the camp... humongous sophomore.
^ Saw a pic of the Ky big boys. Ray was smallest guy there. If he grew another 1-1.5 inches it would really help. He is just a tad undersized.
It will be interesting to see if he can cash in at a D1 school. I have watched many a MAC/Sun Belt/ etc games where I think he can land.

We shall see I suppose.
Schedule clarification. The KHSAA website says Belfry is at Knoxville Catholic and the schedule that was posted on here and other social media says it is at Belfry and so does the Catholic website. Anyone know for sure?
bucslover68 Wrote:Schedule clarification. The KHSAA website says Belfry is at Knoxville Catholic and the schedule that was posted on here and other social media says it is at Belfry and so does the Catholic website. Anyone know for sure?
Maxpreps also has it at Knox Cath
Belfry High officials post the schedule to KHSAA. Unless they made the mistake, the game is at Knoxville.
PaytoPlay Wrote:It will be interesting to see if he can cash in at a D1 school. I have watched many a MAC/Sun Belt/ etc games where I think he can land.

We shall see I suppose.

I twitted him some information on coaches to get a hold of here at Arkansas State,did the same with Messer and they talked with him but it didn't work out,think ray would do well here...
Lets hear about this years pirate team strengths and weaknesses and players to watch.
^ nice post. There is no chatter about what is happening in offseason workouts and or spring practice. I know a lot of kids play baseball etc, but is Belfry resting on its achievements? Where is the intensity?
Here is what I think:

Justin Adkins and Devin Varney will be men on Friday nights. Tavern Hunter might offer support. Austin Woolum will be hard to keep out of the defensive backfield. X Willis can play D but could be better on O if he comes to play.

Sanger/Horton/Bentleyis a front three no one in 3A can shut down. Hall and Dotson are excellent on the edge of the LOS. Wellman and ????? (Young) better be working HARD at LB.

Bottom line - if decent LB play, no one is out muscling the BelfryD. (Short maybe JC who has proven they can)

Catron and Willis have their chance. Make Belfry a WB offense again? We shall see. Fletcher should be living and breathing FB. I still think he has it but we shall see. I think Corbett will light it up to be honest, but he has to earn it.

LETS GO BELFRY 2015!!
PaytoPlay Wrote:Here is what I think:

Justin Adkins and Devin Varney will be men on Friday nights. Tavern Hunter might offer support. Austin Woolum will be hard to keep out of the defensive backfield. X Willis can play D but could be better on O if he comes to play.

Sanger/Horton/Bentleyis a front three no one in 3A can shut down. Hall and Dotson are excellent on the edge of the LOS. Wellman and ????? (Young) better be working HARD at LB.

Bottom line - if decent LB play, no one is out muscling the BelfryD. (Short maybe JC who has proven they can)

Catron and Willis have their chance. Make Belfry a WB offense again? We shall see. Fletcher should be living and breathing FB. I still think he has it but we shall see. I think Corbett will light it up to be honest, but he has to earn it.

LETS GO BELFRY 2015!!

IMO

Justin Adkins will be the most all around athlete on the field. He replaces what Keaton Taylor has been for Belfry the last 3 years. He has worked very hard this offseason. I think Corbett starts off at QB but if he can't deliver ( which I think he can with the right Attitude ) Adkins will be the man under Center. And when I tell you he can play it he can. Your linebackers are gonna be Sanger and Wellman you can also throw in Preston Stump if he comes back out. Big nose guard is gonna be Whitt quick nose guard is gonna be Chase Dove who will also see time at DT and/or Young. I personally would play X Willis more on Defense at Corner and My other Corner would be Austin Woolum with Varney at FS and Catron my SS. Or you could flip flop Varney and Woolum. Also Adkins can play some Secondary. I see all those names playin in both the offensive and defensive backfields in different sets. Giving each other a breather. I think they call that DEPTH. Fullback will be either Wellman or Fletcher it's whoever is the toughest and meanest. And you might see Catron playing some too. The O line will be big again as usual. Center is still up in the air with Preece or Lewis. Tackles will be A Dotson and Gibbs. One guard will Scott and I'm hearing they are moving Bentley to the other one. Which is a good move IMO but it will more than likely take more time away from him on the defensive side. Coach Haywood doesn't like to play his O lineman both ways a lot pending someone else can play it. ( that's been the key to Belfrys success over the years is a rested OL and they go over blocking schemes between Possesions) but if that happens Braxton Miller will be the TE and he could play some D tackle also. And of course you DE are TJ Dotson and Hall. Just my opinion or what I would do but I'm just a fan and not the Winningest Coach in the State so whatever he come ups with will definitely be a success. Pending no big injuries I don't see anyone in the East stopping Belfry from another State finals appearance.
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next