•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry@Desales 11/29 3A State Semis
mistake
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was an old one though.. I have no clue who was on that Ashland team so tried to hint at the greatest Tomcat LOL

Juan Thomas was the best "baseball" player on that team (Arizona State) (White Sox Minor leaguer). IMO, Chris Hutt turned into the best football player--great player at Marshall
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was an old one though.. I have no clue who was on that Ashland team so tried to hint at the greatest Tomcat LOL
Les Lyons? and Steve Scott? come to mind, but wow, my brain hurts.
Juan Thomas, Chris Hutt and Charlie Johnson were the running backs if I recall on Ashland's 1990 championship team. I can't remember the quarterback's first name but his last name was Brown. That was one of the best all around backfields I can remember watching. All three backs were over 1,000 yards rushing and had power and speed.

Belfry jumped out to a real quick 2 touchdown lead when Whitey Gibbs picked off a pitch in the backfield and returned it for a score. I think it was 12-0 and then it was all Tomcats after that. Final was 35-20
Watusi. Wrote:Juan Thomas, Chris Hutt and Charlie Johnson were the running backs if I recall on Ashland's 1990 championship team. I can't remember the quarterback's first name but his last name was Brown. That was one of the best all around backfields I can remember watching. All three backs were over 1,000 yards rushing and had power and speed.

Belfry jumped out to a real quick 2 touchdown lead when Whitey Gibbs picked off a pitch in the backfield and returned it for a score. I think it was 12-0 and then it was all Tomcats after that. Final was 35-20

Ashland rushed that season for over 5000 yards and was the state and national record for a few years. They also were ranked in the Top 20 in the USA Today near the end of the season. Good times for the Ashland faithful. Good luck Pirates and QB was David Brown.
T-CATS Wrote:Ashland rushed that season for over 5000 yards and was the state and national record for a few years. They also were ranked in the Top 20 in the USA Today near the end of the season. Good times for the Ashland faithful. Good luck Pirates and QB was David Brown.

That Ashland team was one of the very best I’ve EVER seen. They had it all. Size, speed, strength, athleticism.
T-CATS Wrote:Ashland rushed that season for over 5000 yards and was the state and national record for a few years. They also were ranked in the Top 20 in the USA Today near the end of the season. Good times for the Ashland faithful. Good luck Pirates and QB was David Brown.

T-Cats, I'm not near as old as OutlawJosieWales a$$ is (LMAO) so I dont remember that team. But brother, it sure sounds like that was an awesome team not only by Kentucky standards but national standards.

You guys have a great tradition there and will be back winning football games and competing for championships in the very near future. Good luck to the Tomcats and their outstanding fan base.
If you go to the Desales Colts facebook page, you can see a short video of Desales head coach talking about their game this past Friday against Bardstown and the upcoming matchup against Belfry and the keys and focus for Desales to win Friday night.
Belfry by 3
Here’s what’s going to happen. Belfry is going to run a very disciplined offense. Every man is going to do his job and run the flex bone to near perfection. It’s going to be constantly reading the defense. Clock management and making sure they stay ahead of the chains is the key to Belfry’s success.
Defensively belfry has to get DeSales off the field. One things certain is that Belfry’s defense will flat out lay the wood. They can’t get to aggressive and let DeSales athletes get behind them. If DeSales can get in open field then Belfry will be in for a long night. Belfry needs to make DeSales get in third down situations and keep confinement on DeSales QB.
Good luck Pirates! Playing their best football at the right time! They don’t turn the ball over this week and they win.
Seeing that it’s a massive game, accepting it, thriving in it and not overthinking it is crucial.
Does Belfry throw the ball at all? Thats kinda what we did (Meade) We spread Desales out and looked for the mismatch in the secondary considering Desales is a little weak there. Our defense turned them over and we made plays when we needed to. We had 3 interceptions. 1 of those by Richardson #20 in the endzone. Meade has one of the top RBs in the state and he was only able to run for 45 yds but we got him the ball in the passing game and he had 60-70 yds receiving.
I had the pleasure of coaching #87 (Demetri Scott) all the way through youth league. Hes the best player Ive ever coached and that includes several that hold SEC/Big Ten offers right now. He has it all. Size, strength, length, smarts and hes a GREAT kid. He has comitted to Austin Peay.
Watusi. Wrote:Juan Thomas, Chris Hutt and Charlie Johnson were the running backs if I recall on Ashland's 1990 championship team. I can't remember the quarterback's first name but his last name was Brown. That was one of the best all around backfields I can remember watching. All three backs were over 1,000 yards rushing and had power and speed.

I would love to see him try that today!! We would need to resuscitate him!
Confusednicker:
AvoidLloyd Wrote:Does Belfry throw the ball at all? Thats kinda what we did (Meade) We spread Desales out and looked for the mismatch in the secondary considering Desales is a little weak there. Our defense turned them over and we made plays when we needed to. We had 3 interceptions. 1 of those by Richardson #20 in the endzone. Meade has one of the top RBs in the state and he was only able to run for 45 yds but we got him the ball in the passing game and he had 60-70 yds receiving.

Very, very rarely. 3 times a game would be pushing it. Haywood's philosophy is only 3 things can happen when you throw and two of them are bad. Usually, it's a deep ball to catch the defense off guard and to soften them up. If it's in the air there is a 50% chance its a TD. I do suspect to see a couple to try and keep DeSales honest but it won't be part of the game plan as far as every drive.
Here you go for a little perspective. This is Belfry's passing totals since their run began in 2010 through the Ashland game last week.

287/550 Completions/attempts, average 2/4 per game
6488 Yards, 22.6 average yards per catch.
97 TDs, 34% TD per catch rate
22 INTs

That's over a 10-year span. For some teams that 2 seasons.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:If it's in the air is a 50% chance its a TD.

I meant to add if caught and this season to this statement.
Wow thats gonna be tough against Desales. Desales had 2 LB's out the last few weeks but will have both of them available this week.

I remember 2 things about that game. It rained. Hard. Sheets of rain. And I had a first cousin killed in a car wreck that night.

But yes, they had a tremendous backfield.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:I remember 2 things about that game. It rained. Hard. Sheets of rain. And I had a first cousin killed in a car wreck that night.

But yes, they had a tremendous backfield.

so sorry to this Hurricane Storm.
Seems like Pirates are peaking at the right time. Took some time to get everyone healthy but looks like the Pirates are playing pretty good football right now. Belfry +14
AvoidLloyd Wrote:Wow that's gonna be tough against DeSales. Desales had 2 LB's out the last few weeks but will have both of them available this week.

It will be a tough road but it's the same offense Haywood has been running since the early '70s for the most part. He adds things in and takes things away from time to time but for the most part, the offense today has its roots back to Haywood's days as an assistant at Meade County under Jim Devries in 1973 and 1974. He's been able to tweak his flexbone hyrda rushing assault to deal with fast linebackers and big d lines thanks to games against teams like Central, Huntington High, and some Knoxville Schools as well as the continued series against Johnson Central who is always big on the line.
Hambley Wrote:Seems like Pirates are peaking at the right time. Took some time to get everyone healthy but looks like the Pirates are playing pretty good football right now. Belfry +14

+14 means they are the dog. But I know what you are trying to say. lol
I think this is the best Desales team since 2013. I truly believe the Colts were the best team in the city that season. This should be an epic matchup, an offense that runs the ball down people's throats versus a defense that does not allow many yards on the ground. It's like a fastball hitter versus a fastball pitcher. As is frequently the case between two evenly matched teams, turnovers might be the difference. Looking forward to welcoming the red caravan Friday!
Again.....DeSales is the favorite. IMO, they have every single advantage going for them Friday. At home, no travel, big D-Line, run stopping defense, good coaching. What's not to like on their end? Belfry will have to play just as good, if not better than they did against Ashland to have a punchers chance. The news media, various polls on other sites, and apparently the general consensus is that DeSales is moving on to Kroger Field. In fact, DeSales should go ahead and begin watching Bell and Taylor Co film and start strategizing for Dec 6th. Smile
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Again.....DeSales is the favorite. IMO, they have every single advantage going for them Friday. At home, no travel, big D-Line, run stopping defense, good coaching. What's not to like on their end? Belfry will have to play just as good, if not better than they did against Ashland to have a punchers chance. The news media, various polls on other sites, and apparently the general consensus is that DeSales is moving on to Kroger Field. In fact, DeSales should go ahead and begin watching Bell and Taylor Co film and start strategizing for Dec 6th. Smile

No no no. You can be the favorite. We insist!
ColtPride Wrote:No no no. You can be the favorite. We insist!

LOL.....nawww you can have the favorites role. No way a little team from a little town can travel all the way to the big city and win. No possible way.
bucslover68 Wrote:LOL.....nawww you can have the favorites role. No way a little team from a little town can travel all the way to the big city and win. No possible way.

I mean DeSales' Assistant Coaches alone have almost won more State Titles than Belfry's Head Coach!

Surely the kids who load up on a yellow school bus and not even a charter bus cannot win this game.
bucslover68 Wrote:LOL.....nawww you can have the favorites role. No way a little team from a little town can travel all the way to the big city and win. No possible way.

I just don't see any possible way...….
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next