•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2014
^ Agree.
Belfry got a WV transfer, who woulda thunk it?:biglmao:
MCMiner247 Wrote:Strange thing is, Joplin was at Mingo Central yesterday supposedly.
I know sometimes you have to sign out, or finish paperwork on a transfer
but based on what I was told it was weird for him to be back up there.
Wish him nothing but the best but personally, I'm so used to this trend.
Have seen it since I was in 5th grade at Williamson Middle School (I'm 20 now), and it
just keeps going on and on.It seems the only "cool" thing to do is run across that bridge from BB&T to CVS.

But MCMiner, they always "move" back to WV when they are done at Belfry. :eyeroll:
You can look at a lot of Belfry players' tweets on twitter and they will say "from WV" lol...
Belfry fans get irate but their success on the field is thanks to WV and everyone with an IQ over 12 knows it.:trolldad:
As if your precious Pikeville Panthers did not recruit a few RB in their 3 year championship run. Good players want to play for successful teams. If I were interested in Jazz Dance I would probably go to Pikeville.
Pirate4Life Wrote:As if your precious Pikeville Panthers did not recruit a few RB in their 3 year championship run. Good players want to play for successful teams. If I was interested in Jazz Dance I would probably go to Pikeville.

Sorry, not accepting WV students at this time.
HaHa ...gotta hand it to you ...that made me laugh.
jetpilot Wrote:sorry, not accepting wv students at this time.

and thats why pikeville has not been to the big dance since lol. Cant blame a kid for wanting to play for a great program. If mingo central would have a better coach it wouldnt be so many transfers. You dont hear us belfry fans complaining when pikeville gets a pike central player, or a paintsville player.
jetpilot Wrote:Belfry got a WV transfer, who woulda thunk it?:biglmao:

Does the last name ring a bell, Jetpilot?
^ Haha. It was J.I. Joplin right?
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Haha. It was J.I. Joplin right?

Steve Bailey - Logan
JJ Bailey - Logan
JI Joplin - Matewan

Just to name a few.

All area schools have benefitted from transfers since way back before I was old enough to care. To me, there's no difference in crossing a county line or state line to play. It's still a transfer. Belfry gets bashed more than other schools when it comes to transfers strictly because they are closer to the WV state line than anybody else. Anyone with an IQ over 12 can see that😉.
JetPilot was probably too young to realize that Pikeville got their own Joplin transfer back in the glory days.

It is what it is. The Belfry coaches/administration isn't out there recruiting kids. Kids and their parents choose to come from time to time. It IS an advantage to being so close to some other areas with good athletic talent. I understand why it gets under the skin of other teams who don't have a similar advantage. But life isn't fair.

Personally I will support any kid who wants to enroll at BHS, go to class, but into Pirate football, support their teammates, and work hard.
Several former Belfry starters or potential starters have transferred to other county schools or WVA schools...It is going to happen....The history of BHS basketball may have been more impressive had Mark Cline attended where he was "supposed" to have gone to high school!
maybe people wont whine as much when Coach Haywood hangs it up(just depends on who the coach is I guess)if Belfry or anyteam is just avg they can go somewhere else where they can win,i just don't ever see Belfry being avg in football.so I guess the crying will go on until the LORD JESUS comes back..
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:and thats why pikeville has not been to the big dance since lol. Cant blame a kid for wanting to play for a great program. If mingo central would have a better coach it wouldnt be so many transfers. You dont hear us belfry fans complaining when pikeville gets a pike central player, or a paintsville player.

Oh yes, definitely need a better coach. Especially considering he's "only" in the top 5 of winningest active head coaches in WV. I'm not trying to start anything,
just stating that Coach Kinder has had success and for a school that's only
3 years old, to have been in the playoffs 2 out of 3 previous seasons I think that's pretty good. Especially in the playoff format we have that everyone doesn't get automatic bids. Nope, we're no where near the same level of tradition, success, and a lot of other words you could use to describe the differences with Belfry, but we're working our way there. Hey, we're just practicing our best "Pre-Late 1980's Belfry" impersonation TongueirateSho

All jokes aside, the transfers (To Me) don't have anything to do with football (or any sport) and not so much in the Matewan area as compared to Williamson.
Everyone except for about 8-10 people in the entire city of Williamson hates Mingo Central.
They've never visited the school, accepted its existence, or supported its athletics in any way. Heck, half of the class that graduated behind me went to Tug Valley instead of MC because they were convinved that MCHS was the anti-christ and any day the place would cave into a giant mine that's "on fire" beneath the school.....or atleast thats what the WHS Administration explained to us on deciding which school to attend LOL. So, it's an automatic per-requisite if you're a Williamson resident to attend a school named anything except Mingo Central.

Someone posted on my facebook the other day "How do we stop this and/or fix this?" And I don't think you can. Loyalty now days, on all levels of sports, means nothing .:igiveup:

and to bucslover68, that's what belfry0304 tells me on an almost daily basis, is that all this is revenge for stealing Mark over here back in the day LOL.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Oh yes, definitely need a better coach. Especially considering he's "only" in the top 5 of winningest active head coaches in WV. I'm not trying to start anything,
3 years old, to have been in the playoffs 2 out of 3 previous seasons I think that's pretty good. Especially in the playoff format we have that everyone doesn't get automatic bids. Nope, we're no where near the same level of tradition, success, and a lot of other words you could use to describe the differences with Belfry, but we're working our way there. Hey, we're just practicing our best "Pre-Late 1980's Belfry" impersonation TongueirateSho

All jokes aside, the transfers (To Me) don't have anything to do with football (or any sport) and not so much in the Matewan area as compared to Williamson.
Everyone except for about 8-10 people in the entire city of Williamson hates Mingo Central.
They've never visited the school, accepted its existence, or supported its athletics in any way. Heck, half of the class that graduated behind me went to Tug Valley instead of MC because they were convinved that MCHS was the anti-christ and any day the place would cave into a giant mine that's "on fire" beneath the school.....or atleast thats what the WHS Administration explained to us on deciding which school to attend LOL. So, it's an automatic per-requisite if you're a Williamson resident to attend a school named anything except Mingo Central.

Someone posted on my facebook the other day "How do we stop this and/or fix this?" And I don't think you can. Loyalty now days, on all levels of sports, means nothing .:igiveup:

and to bucslover68, that's what belfry0304 tells me on an almost daily basis, is that all this is revenge for stealing Mark over here back in the day LOL.

Preconceived notion is the problem, MCMiner247. A lot of people were raised against Yogi. A ton of kids at Burch were younger when Yogi and that Matewan team embarrassed them for the sake of a record (which never impressed me because he didn't get the record by being skilled, he got it by his coach being a douche). A lot of kids have heard horror stories about Yogi, have been told he's biased towards Matewan boys, etc. Yogi knows his football, but both preconceived notions (kids going in with the forgone conclusion they aren't going to like him) and non-football stuff (attitude, class, etc.) is the fault against Coach Kinder. I think the current offensive coordinator should get a chance, but my fear is that people will associate him with Coach Kinder because of their friendship. A younger guy with a chance to build his mold would be good, but I kind of think the school needs an "outsider" but he's doing a decent job since he's made the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

But, It was a trade. Not revenge. A trade. Cline for a boatload of "prospects" ... we're just still collecting our players to be named later.
I will not debate Yogi's coaching ability but his character. I can attest to the character and moral fiber of Phillip Haywood. It was an honor to play for a man that cared as much about my life, as he did about the "W's" at the end of the year.
Speaking of coaches, ours is kicking off his 30th season with us come August. Pretty incredible.

Well technically, I guess this past season would have been 30 since his first season was 1984.
Saw where Bentley was camping at Floridaand South Carolina. Horton and Joplin in Louisville.

According to signingday.com (new recruiting site that admittedly may or may not be legit) has Ray Horton as a 4 Star prospect 2017.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Oh yes, definitely need a better coach. Especially considering he's "only" in the top 5 of winningest active head coaches in WV. I'm not trying to start anything,

I was speaking more of Yogis as a person...he is an as whole and I would tell him that to his face..He may know the game of football but he don't know how to mold young men into men using football. And you here all the stories of him and the young girls. Just saying I wouldn't want my kid no where near him.. the head coach from Gilbert should have gotten the job as HC for MC..that's just my opinion
Pirates found themselves a QB it appears.
^ Spill the beans PT.
With God as my witness, a kid messaged me last season asking about Belfry's QB situation because he "may want to come play if we need one" ... and as God as my witness I didn't reply (since I'm close to the program) so word traveled fast that we were scarce on them.

Regardless, as much shit as I slung in relation to Joplin, I truly don't know that a QB can learn our reads and our offense in just a month's time after running a completely different system. Corbett is an extremely athletic kid, and I think he falls in at WR or CB for a year and takes the QB reigns next season as a junior.
Corbett is a freakish athlete and learning our system is very hard but it can be done..and if anyone can teach it I coach Haywood...JJ Hilton was an athlete back when i played and he learned it in one year and we went undefeated before a bunch of key injuries and Ashland came to town to end us in the playoffs..it can be done but the kid has to work hard and he may very well learn it or play defense and WR and behind Keaton...but coach Haywood will have these young men ready...
So who is this Corbett kid
Even not so much that it's hard it just requires lots of repetitions. I don't know, besides JJ Hylton, of any freshman/first year starting QBs at Belfry. If I'm not mistaken, Hylton only was because of an injury. However, now we have a QB for 2015 and 2016. Actually, we're pretty well set at QB until 2018... which is AWESOME.

The good news about Noah Corbett being the athlete that he is, is he provides an athlete IF he can't get QB right away (and I don't wanna say I don't think he can but I just can't see Coach Haywood going for it when he has Keaton), he can be thrown in at several other positions.
Read the article in the Logan Banner. Their coach didn't have a lot to say but seemed unhappy. Lovern's article from a couple days ago said the family was moving to Belfry.

Welcome to Belfry young man!
Interested to see how this pans out.

For now it just creates more questions moreso than answers.

Watching Corbett's video and reading his stat line it is very clear Belfry is getting a very gifted athlete with the ability to create plays, specifically big plays, and brings a skillset that could translate very well to Belfry's offense. With that said, I also see a a kid who isn't even close to being ready right now to lead a Belfry offense that is so predicated on a QB who executes flawlessly and plays essentially mistake free football.

I never want to be critical of kids, so when I say this I am certainly saying it constuctively, but I see two things from Corbett's Highlight video that will have to be worked on hard and improved if he hopes to lead the Pirate offense. First of all the reversing field is not going to work at Belfry. The level of competition Belfry faces as opposed to the 2nd tier WV schools Logan was playing will be night and day. At Belfry he is going to have a guy committed to hitting him every single play and reversing field will mean a 4 yard loss is now a 14 yard loss which is not going to work with Haywood's philosophy. Secondly, there were several completed passes that were nothing short of jump balls. Once again this is not going to work with a substantially better level of competition. To play QB a Belfry means hold to the football and when you do pass it is not an INT.

Now with that said, if Corbett can buy in and learn the position and the system...there are factors that could make this addition absolutely huge. For starters, if Belfry can still have a game breaking athlete at QB while keeping Keaton at SE you just made your offense twice as dangerous. Keaton is a very good SE not only for his ability to make plays with his hands and feet, but he is a devastating blocker. With the stable of backs Belfry has I am sure they would love having Keaton holding the edge for them. Secondly, this kid is only a Sophomore on a team loaded with other Sophomores and Freshman talent. To potentially get a 3 year starter to go along with the likes of the Varney, Fletcher, Horton, Hunter, Hall, Woolum, Bentley, Wellman, and Catron means Belfry is just packed with seasoned talent for the next 4 years.
Belfry fan 75 Wrote:So who is this Corbett kid

http://loganbanner.com/news/sports/37981...-to-Belfry

QB battle should be fun with Taylor, Corbett, Wellman, Catron, Jude, and maybe Adkins all vying.

Exciting times.
tsk tsk....all this debate and planning.

Too bad the Pirates are going down Labor Day weekend!!
Confusednicker:
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next