Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now???
TidesHoss32 Wrote:18-13 and 22-14 wouldnt get it done at UK no matter who was coaching. Everybody got tired of the 10+ losses from Tubby and ran him out of town. People can say what they want about Tubby, but in my honest opinion I believe he is one of the top 10 X's and O's coaches in the country. Tubbys downfall was recruiting..

AGREED!

Tubby had good recruiting classes and players (Hayes, Rondo, Bogans, Fitch, Prince, etc...) What REALLY hurt Tubby is the roller-coaster recruiting that occured. Top 20 recruiting class one year, poopie recruing class the next, Top 10 recruiting class, then poopie, etc....

Even if it is just a Top 30-40 class every year, it has to be consistent. Because when guys like Kelenna and Rondo leave in a close time-frame, that hurts if you can't recruit consistently. The same thing happened to Billy Gillespie. He lost Legion, never got to have Jasper, and Jodie has hurt for a long time. All of that was in a two year span.

I am not apologizing for either but that is what happens in basketball. To be a great coach TODAY, you must be a great recruiter AND EITHER a great conditioner/motivator or a great X's and O's coach. It is a TOUGH market with plenty of good coaches.
Messages In This Thread
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now??? - by kyrifle - 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now??? - by LWC - 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now??? - by LWC - 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Where's Billy Clyde Gillispie Now??? - by Ballers - 02-23-2010, 05:29 PM