Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama's administration looking into legality of BCS
Beetle01 Wrote:If anything the govt most definitely has a role in college sports. This is a group of tens of thousands of Americans who are ruled over by an organization without oversight, free to make whatever decisions they wish, fair or unfair because nothing can be done to them.

Student athletes are citizens also, and if our govt believes that there is an organization breaking the law they have every right, and the responsibility to look into it. How much federal money is given to colleges and universities each year?
The NCAA does not rule over thousands of Americans without oversight. College student-athletes are free to sign contracts with NCAA affiliated colleges, they are free to sign contracts with NAIA schools, and they are free to participate as a walk-on athlete if they are good enough to make a team.

Nobody is forcing anybody to play college sports in exchange for an (often dubious) education. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy tickets to NCAA games or to watch the games on TV.

I think that people who do not like the way the NCAA is run should vote with their feet. The NCAA produces a good product and provides an education to thousands of young men and women who might otherwise not get such an opportunity.

There are many NCAA rules with which I disagree but I have absolutely no confidence in Republicans or Democrats designing anything as complicated as a college football playoff system. As I said before, they have screwed up enough already. Let them fix those mistakes before they start tinkering around with a system that works.
Messages In This Thread
President Obama's administration looking into legality of BCS - by Hoot Gibson - 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM