Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown Wins Massachusetts Senate Seat, Potentially Upending Obama Agenda
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I have already acknowledged a mistake in this very thread, so good luck painting me with that brush.

[quote=Hoot Gibson]In stark contrast, I quoted JFK himself proudly proclaiming himself to be a liberal and yet you continue to argue that he was not a liberal, not a moderate, but a conservative!
Keep standing that strawman up. Sooner or later, you'll knock him down.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:Kennedy was widely known as a conservative among his peers, his political friends, and his political enemies.
Well, I can't say that I blame you. You've finally realized the futility of your position, and now you're arguing my side of the debate. Don't think you're gonna pull a Bugs Bunny on me, and trick me into arguing your position.

Hoot Gibson Wrote:You may label him whatever you wish but it will not change history.
You are quite correct. That also goes for you. The fact that you want to try to paint him as a liberal will not change anything. His economic policies, his close ties to the military/industrial complex, and his support of the military (among other things) put him on the conservative side of the aisle. Not a raving, far right wingnut, but slightly to the right side of the aisle. Hey - if you don't like it, no problem. You might want to argue it with the political science professors and the historians. Then again, what do they know? After all, you have a copy of a speech he gave ...

Hoot Gibson Wrote:You made the claim. I corrected your mistake and obviously (in my best Jack Nicholson voice), "You can't handle the truth!" :lmao:
We've been over this, but I'll walk you through it again. I made the claim that JFK governed as a conservative Democrat. You jumped on that with both feet, and claimed that he was a liberal. I think a lot of people do not differentiate between a liberal and a Democrat, just as many people do not differentiate between a conservative and a Republican. Either way, conflating the two terms is a mistake.
Messages In This Thread
Brown Wins Massachusetts Senate Seat, Potentially Upending Obama Agenda - by Squid - 01-21-2010, 09:22 PM