Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luke Salmons CJ Coach of the Year all classes
"Nice turnaround and numbers from a ho-hum schedule and a weak district. You either have control of your team or you don't. The buck stops with you. "-Tica

...If only life were so black and white. I understand your point about where the buck stops but the point you and those who hold your perspective are missing is a simple one: the leader must handle the situations that are presented - they can't control what happens 100%. Coaches, especially second year ones who take over horrid losing teams, cannot stop players from doing stupid things. They can however deal with those stupid actions in a way the shows others that such behavior will not be tolerated - and clearly LC's coach did that here. These are his players - not his children.

As a young Army officer I learned this lesson early. My commander and my collegues created an environment in our company where discipline was swift for stupid behavior. Still, solidiers did stupid things. Was that our fault? I think not. Had we failed to discipline unruly behavior our superiors would have removed us. Now, if half the soldiers in our company were missing formations and generally disregarding rules - we would have been relieved. But 2 soldiers doing the wrong thing does not endite leadership so long as they are dealing with them.

This is a good thread though as such things should be discussed and lessons learned from these situations dissemenated to other coaches. And to say that this coach does not deserve this honor due to what happened at Bell is to ignore one of the finest pieces of coaching that has been done in this state. To this coach and his staff I have two things to say: Knox will win next year (LOL) and congrats!
Messages In This Thread
Luke Salmons CJ Coach of the Year all classes - by Football1 - 12-28-2009, 01:25 PM