Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Basketball releases three Walk-ons
Coach Cal on the Walk-on situation per coachcal.com:

Before the weekend gets underway, I wanted to talk to everyone about our decision not to have the large number of walk-on players some of you may have become accustomed to in recent years.

In my 17 years of college coaching, I have very rarely had walk-ons and when I have it’s usually been another student-athlete, who could help us in practice or game situations because of his size, speed or skill level. I find my practices run at optimum performance when there are 12-13 players. Any more than that and we’re not able to accomplish what I want in each practice.

Believe me, I appreciate the work and effort that goes into being a walk-on.

In meeting with the most recent group of walk-ons, we let all of them know how much the UK family appreciated their hard work and dedication to Wildcat basketball. Any of the former walk-ons who want to transfer and try and play elsewhere will have my staff’s full cooperation in helping them.

I can tell you that we are considering a scholarship position on the team for walk-on Mark Krebs, but we still have some things to decide on that front. I will keep you posted. If we do, at any time, decide to have walk-on tryouts, I will be sure to let everyone know.

I wish we would could make every young boy’s dream come true to suit up in the blue and white, but that’s just not possible. We want to be as fair and as forthright with everyone as we can be.

Thanks for listening to my explanation and have a great weekend.

Go Big Blue!

-Coach Cal

Messages In This Thread
UK Basketball releases three Walk-ons - by Spud6 - 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
UK Basketball releases three Walk-ons - by outdoorsman43 - 08-01-2009, 12:57 AM
UK Basketball releases three Walk-ons - by BCF4L - 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM