Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rush: "The replacement for coal doesn't exist."
Old School Wrote:First let me say I'm not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh, but I think he has a vaild point here. The article Rush is referring is about the city of Los Angeles eliminating the use of electricity made from coal by 2020. Today Los Angeles receives about 40% of it's electricity from coal plants out of state. The big question is within the next 10 years how will they replace the 40% now supplied by coal and this is assuming that consumption remains the same as it is today.

The mayor insist that they will use natural gas, nuclear or hydroelectric to replace electricity produced by coal. Which brings these questions to mind.

How many nuclear, hydroelectric or natural gas plants will it take to supply this amount of power?

How many are being permitted or built in California today?

How long will the design, permitting and construction take to have these plants online?

I don't think a project of this size can be completed by 2020.

(1)You can make a nuclear powerhouse that puts as much electric out as a coal burner for about the same money.

(2)About the same as it takes for a coal burner.

(3)As many as it would take using coal burners.
Messages In This Thread
Rush: "The replacement for coal doesn't exist." - by TheRealVille - 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM