Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing of a Gillispie era. Why was he fired. Player relationships? A must read.
[quote=torQQue]There is a fine line between hard nose discipline and abuse. I don't know if any of these allegations are true. But if they are, how could have anyone ever expected BCG to build a successful team here? Sure you want to develop mental and physical toughness. However, you can't go overboard because these are just kids/young men playing a basketball game. In my opinion, the stress of the spotlight may have caused him to overreact, or maybe he was always this way?

Anyway, You have to build relationships with players and establish their trust so they gain confidence. You must motivate and encourage those that do good and push those that slack, or need more work. Regardless, you do not destroy their confidence through belittlement and fear. Constantly insulting and downright embarrassing another human being is wrong, especially when it's just a game.

People can call them "too soft" or "crybabies" if they want. This is no way for a professional at this level to manage and motivate a team. There are some tough people in this world, but everyone has a breaking point.

Mitch knew what he was talking about in the press conference when he mentioned he was concerned about "the quality of the student athlete experience."

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Messages In This Thread
Closing of a Gillispie era. Why was he fired. Player relationships? A must read. - by OLDHOSS - 03-29-2009, 03:31 AM