Poll: Who will win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
60.00%
Elliott Co.
40.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley vs. Elliott Co. (Sweet 16 Quarterfinals)
trufan Wrote:I am cheering for the Wildcats, but should be a great game. I heard that tonights attendance beat the old attendance for a first round game by 16 people.

Correct. I believe the old record was 21,283 set in 1987 featuring LaRue Co. vs. Clay Co. and Madison Central vs. Oldham Co.

I think if Valley hits the glass like they did against Mason Co. and plays aggressive, taking it to the hoop and challenging the Lions, this one will go Valley's way. SV has played some tough, ugly, halfcourt games as of late and have found a way to win. Yet, if they continue to shoot free throws poorly, it will eventually catch up to them. It would be karma if it happens against Elliott considering their first matchup back during the All "A".

Let's hope that this game doesn't end up like their matchup in 2007 with 31 fouls called against SV. That was horrible.

One other note. It seems to me like Elliott County has never been able to get over the hump on the state tournament level. Yes, this group has won a game in the Sweet 16 before, but couldn't seal the deal last season against Mason Co. This same group of seniors have participated in 4 of the last 6 All "A" Classic tournaments, failing to get past the opening round 3 of the 4 times and of course losing to SV (while being the favorite in the polls when they met.) To me, EC stumbles under pressure and I have to believe that EC will have a ton of self-inflicted pressure come Friday night against Valley for Part II of their 2009 series.

Maybe USA Today will make a re-write for SV.
Messages In This Thread
Shelby Valley vs. Elliott Co. (Sweet 16 Quarterfinals) - by jammin' jamey - 03-20-2009, 02:24 AM