Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are any Billy Gillispie defenders convinced yet?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The only players lost from last season were Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley. Those were the two senior leaders and the heart and soul of the team in 2007-2008. Maybe we did need a senior leader this year?

This season Kentucky returned an improved Patrick Patterson. They got back Perry Stevenson, Michael Porter, and Ramon Harris. The most significant of all was an injury-free Jodie Meeks who shattered records this season for the Wildcats. Kentucky got freshman Darius Miller and JUCO guard Kevin Galloway and center Josh Harrellson. I agree that Liggins wasn't even close to what he was cracked up to be but I still believe this season's team was more talented than last seasons team.

The point is Kentucky didn't have any senior players with any kind of experience and the coach (Billy Gillispie) has to win with what he has, which was a slightly better team IMO.

This team has more talent it just hasnt developed like it should have. Last season Stevenson and Harris did not have to shine for Kentucky to be succesful. They had Bradley and Crawford who could put points on the board. You had Meeks who could score and Patterson untill the injury. Problem with this years team as follow.

1. Stevenson/Harris- Before the season every one thought these to would have a WIDE range of success. Problems, both were very inconsistent the entire season. Neither one developed into a premier scorer which Kentucky needed with a inexperienced team. Sure both played alright D but Kentucky needed them to develope into scorers. They were the ones with experience and Kentucky needed these two to get off to a hot start which did not happen and it simply did not get any better.

2. Harrelson/Galloway- These two were saught after to have great seasons towards the end. These two really did not begin to develope untill the SEC tournament, Galloway still has alot of growing up to do, Harrelson should have been used more and I see him next season to have a great season.

3. Miller- Was another one saught after to have a big season even for being a freshman. He showed glimmer through the SEC tournament, IMO if he does not pick up 3 early fouls in the LSU game the outcome is much much diffrent. He will be in the starting lineup next season which will help Kentucky tremendously.

Kentucky just needs to help the following and their incoming freshman have break out years next season which I invision happening. The following were key players that did not live up to what they were brought into do. Which turned out to be a bad season, as ive stated before its not all Gillespes fault. The team just did not develope the way all you fans invisioned nor did BCG. It happens they have learned from this season and will be more experienced. The same thing that happened with last years and this years LSU ball club.
Messages In This Thread
Are any Billy Gillispie defenders convinced yet? - by 15thRegionSlamaBamma - 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM