Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What ever happened to Williamson WV basketball?
NEXT Wrote:Belfry dominated, Coach Justice was something like 20-6 against Williamson when he was there, we lost one, maybe 2 games while I was there to Williamson from 93-97.

To answer the question, Mingo County is one of the worst school districts in the NATION so some of the kids go to Belfry.

Their peewee/midget league program is also as bad as it gets. Used to be kids from Belfry would go there to play youth basketball, now it is either non-existent or ran by those with interest other than all the kids.

Population is also dropped off a lot. Basketball players go to Logan or Tug Valley, football players come to Belfry.

I don't have the EXACT numbers but Belfry does NOT get as many as people think from across the Tug River, maybe 60 kids TOTAL K-12.

Very true. I can remember my 8th Grade AAU team for Belfry and probably over 75% had played basketball in a West Virginia league at some point.

As I stated above. The only AAU or travelling All-Star teams that have pertained to Williamson in the last 10 years have been specific to one group of players and to Anthony Strotter, Jr (and his team was nearly exclusively players from outside of Mingo County).
Messages In This Thread
What ever happened to Williamson WV basketball? - by EKUAlum05 - 03-16-2009, 02:49 AM