Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the **** is wrong with running some zone?
torQQue Wrote:It doesn't have to be Gillispie's primary defense. I know his coaching defensive philosophies are a strong man to man defense with a "few variations of man to man." But why does he limit this team to just a man to man defense all the time?

Why not throw out a zone "occasionally" to confuse the defense, force a poor shooting team to knock down some outside shots, stop the penetration, or slow down the backdoor screens, or slow the pace of the game to give our best players a breather instead of them constantly chasing their man all over the court, protect those in foul trouble, and/or give opposing teams more to prepare for. I just don't get it.

It seems "some"zone sure would have helped us today. I mean it couldn't have hurt, Fredrick and Downey had no trouble whatsoever with the man to man, they beat everyone we threw at them off the dribble all evening. If the man to man is not working, why not switch it up coach?

I respect coaches worth ethic and recruiting, however, his lack of defensive adjustments is very puzzling to me. I am obviously no coach, but I am smart enough to realize that mixing things up could only benefit us. No one needs a coaching degree or years of experience to realize this. Just turn on your television and watch some of the top teams around the nation. Their coaches will mix it up.

Another thing that bothers me about him is his arrogance, why is he so arrogant? I could see if had multiple final fours and/or a national title or two, but he doesn't.

This is beautiful. Coach G should read some of this.