Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tebow Bill: Should HS home schoolers be allowed to play Public School sports?
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I think the home school student should be able to play but only for the school in their district.

The grade thing worries me so maybe some kind of test could be put in pace and they, the home school student would have to score a certain number on it to show they are up to par as far as the school work goes.

We took our oldest son out of public schools because they wanted to promote him two grade levels higher. My wife and I didn't feel it was in his best interest, socially, to do this. We all know many older kids often give younger/smarter kids a hard time. For that reason, we decided to home school him. His academic progress over the last year and half of being home schooled is remarkable. He will be 8 years old next month, and is on 4th grade level in all subjects except math, math he is on a 6th grade level.

Our youngest son is not as intellectually gifted as our older son, but he is on par with other public school Kindergartners. We home school him for an entirely different reason. He has severe food allergies, along with an esophagus disorder, and we can't risk him eating something that could make him extremely sick, or worsen his disorder. For example, he is allergic to all corn products, chicken, dairy, wheat, barely, peas, fish, etc. It's tough to find food products served in a public school system that doesn't contain one of those ingredients.

Also, I agree with you that kids should be able to play sports in their local school district. We home school both of our boys, they are 7 and 4, and I think they should be allowed to play sports in our local district. Currently, they both are young, and can play the city league sports (little league, peewee, junior pro, etc.) However, they can't play at a public school. There are no city league tackle football teams here in my area, just flag, and my oldest wants to play tackle football. He could play grade school starting next year. Why should Kentucky kids, that excel academically, be penalized for being home schooled? I could understand if their grades are not on par with Kentucky Board of Education academic requirements. However, my oldest son has already proven that his academic progression exceeds what is required by the school district to qualify for playing sports at a public school.

Anyway, I have heard, don't know if there is any truth to it, that they could play for sports at a private/independent school such as Pikeville Independent. Does anyone know the policies concerning home schooled children playing for a private school in the same district?
Messages In This Thread
Tebow Bill: Should HS home schoolers be allowed to play Public School sports? - by torQQue - 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM