Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Season 58th District Outlook as of 1/17/08
Pepper Wrote:Betsy Layne may have gotten Newman back but I don't think he will make that big of a difference. People on here are making him look better than he really is, if anyone would remember from seasons past, he could barley make a lay-up and he usually fouled out. And Jared Newman is no 6'8. He is 6'5 maybe 6'6, he is no 6'8. I have nothing against him or Betsy Layne but there just making Newman sound better than he really is.

As for the 58th District...

Allen Central is the best team, they can compete with any team in the Mountains and they have one of the better 3 point shooters in the area as well.

Prestonsburg is still the second best team in the district and now that the football players have gotten into basketball shape they have really played well and there scoring a lot more now than they where earlier in the season. When Austin Gearheart gets into basketball shape from his injury he could be another solid weapon that Prestonsburg has.

Betsy Layne is still hasn't gotten over that hump, they should be somewhat better after getting Newman back but I don't know how much better. But they need someone to step up and start knocking shots down, and the only person that I know of on that team that is capable of doing so is Samuel Keathley but he has been cold all season. If he would slow down his shot instead of rushing it everytime then the Bobcats could be a real dangerous team. But it will take the Bobcats awhile to get Newman into basketball shape.

South Floyd struggles because they go down the court and fire up a 3. Raiders THERE IS NO SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, set up a play for Akers and let him take control of your offense. South Floyd does not have that big man this season which really hurts them cause they cannot rebound very well at all. But the Raiders have potential but it seems like no one knows how to play team basketball on that whole team.

IMO, Allen Central wins the district tournament with Prestonsburg finishing as the runners-up.

Good luck to all the 58th District teams!

I happen to disagree. 1st) They also got Slone back, which adds another scoring threat to the Bobcats, and another person the defense will be concerned with. 2nd) Newman may not be awesome, or not even good, we'll see. But he is a big boy with a big body, whether it be 6' 8, 6 '7, or 6' 4 for that matter. He's still a big boy that takes up a lot of space in the paint. His presence alone is enough to contribute to the defense, rebounding, offense and the game in general in Betsy Layne's favor. 3rd) they also have the head boy, which did pretty well against AC the first matchup by himself. Now throw Newman in the mix, and thats too much size for AC or the 58th to contend with JMO.
Messages In This Thread
Mid-Season 58th District Outlook as of 1/17/08 - by 100%SUCCESS - 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM