Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Trades Thread: Post all Reds Trades Here...
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't be surprised to see Conine/Hatteberg/Stanton pass through waivers and possibly dealt before September 1st, which is the deadline for players to be traded who would be eligible for a postseason roster. Conine was traded that way last year.

I wasn't surprised too much about Dunn, considering how his contract is structured and the fact that Reds ownership is giving GM Krivsky some heat about pulling too many strings and trades. I'm all for keeping Dunn, if the payroll is raised to sign more quality starting pitching. The Reds will gamble that their youngsters in the pen will get better. Also, don't forget about the Jorge Cantu trade the Reds made, which went totally unheard in the media. He's a 25-year kid who's knocked in over 100 RBI's. Nobody on the Reds roster 25 or younger can stake claim to that.

Again I'm guessing, but the Reds feel they are only a few bullpen/1 more solid starting pitcher away from truly contending in a weak NL Central. Thus, they haven't blew up the roster. If the Reds don't raise the payroll in the offseason and only pickup Dunn's $13 million option, they will conduct a fire sale at this time next year unless they are winning and the key will be the bullpen improving.

I am actually happy they didn't trade away Dunn, I think he can be a big factor next year. If they had been blown away with an offer, that's one thing, but that wasn't going to happen given his contract stipulation that would have basically made him a 2-month rental. So, keep him and exercise the option for next year. 13 million isn't too much for a good power hitter who gets on base as frequently as he does.

Where I felt he dropped the ball was in not trading guys that don't figure into the future. Conine, definitely, and Stanton too. Both of those guys should have been shipped off for whatever was offered. Hatteburg is a good player and I like him, but unless the Reds do not feel Votto is ready then it makes no sense to keep him either. I personally think that there's nothing left to prove for Votto in AAA ball, next year it's time for him to either sink or swim with the big club. Since he's also a lefty, you couldn't even platoon him with Hatteburg, who's also a lefty. Hatteburg is having one of his better years as a part-time starter, and he would have been a great addition to a contending team. I can't imagine there weren't offers, so Krivsky must have been holding out for more.

As far as Cantu, I had heard about the trade, but I didn't post it on here since it didn't involve any current major-leaguers. I agree that Krivsky's trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Phillips, but I don't know where you play him in the infield. Obviously, Phillips isn't going anywhere, Gonzo is on a big contract, and I still think it's too early to give up on Encarnacion. First may be open next year, but what about Votto? Maybe they're thinking of a Cantu/Votto platoon, especially if they think Votto can't hit lefties well enough to play everyday.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Messages In This Thread
Reds Trades Thread: Post all Reds Trades Here... - by More Cowbell - 08-01-2007, 11:40 PM