Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction
Former Fairleigh Dickinson Knight Ansley Almonor's commitment pushes the roster to 11. He's a 6'7 stretch four that does most of his damage from three. I'd expect him to be the backup four and a rotational piece.

Down to two scholarships (assuming no one we're currently counting on leaves). Think Pope is banking on at least one of the Jaxson Robinson, Wooga Poplar, and Chaz Lanier trio withdrawing from the draft and coming to Kentucky. I'd think that Pope's priorities are: 1. Robinson, 1a. Lanier, and 3. Poplar. If Robinson comes back, it's a player familiar with Pope's system that is primed to be one of the team's leading scorers. If Robinson stays in and gets drafted, Pope has something of a win in being able to say that he's coached a pro, which could help with recruiting.

Of the three, Poplar might be in it most for the NIL money (and there's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself); he was one of the many defections from Miami, who had a big donor that's now facing some legal issues. Speaking of Miami, Norchad Omier, a stretch big that I really liked, has committed to Baylor.

Some other guards in portal/draft limbo that might be worth keeping an eye on are Washington State's Jaylen Wells (Jr., 41% from three, 80's range on draft boards) and Minnesota's Cam Christie (Fr., 39% from three, mid 30's to 40's on big boards). If you want a "deep in the weeds" sleeper, Yale's August Mahoney's game is perfectly cut out for Pope's system, but it'd be tough to use one of the two remaining schollys on him. I don't think Kentucky has been associated with any of these names.

Past the names above or someone very similar falling into our laps, it's probably praying for a reclassification or getting an international prospect.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024-2025 Kentucky Roster Construction - by Cactus Jack - 05-16-2024, 12:10 PM