Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
I have not listened to the recording myself, but if the Daily Independent's direct quotes are accurate, then I believe Ashland should have already been interviewing candidates to replace Mays. The following quotes from the Daily Independent clearly confirm multiple recruiting violations occurred. This was obviously not Mays' first rodeo.

I am in favor of eliminating the current rules and laws that restrict transfers but rules serve no purpose if they are not uniformly enforced in a timely manner. Aside from that, my only comment is that IF a school is compelled to cheat, then the person recruiting players should be a "friend of the program" and not a coach, player, or player's parent. Having a head coach personally recruiting players is just plain dumb.

Quote:
Quote:“Our program would change him for the better,” Mays said. “… He would get tougher because of the practices that we go and the routine and the regimen that we’re committed to, our process of doing things. … and I know he’s going to help us win a lot of games.”

Quote:“I would love to get my hands on him,” Mays said in reference to the player. “Now, I know that’s wrong for me to say because of where he’s at (Boyd County), but if there’s ever a time to do it, it’s right now to where he won’t have to do one ounce of KHSAA paperwork because he’s going to be an incoming freshman.”

Quote:“You don’t even need to tell Boyd County officials until after you’ve done it,” Mays said.

Quote:Mays expressed regret in “not being more of a competitor” for another player from a different rival school.

“If we would’ve had (that player) this year, how good would we have been?” Mays asked.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA - by Hoot Gibson - 06-25-2022, 09:35 AM