Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
(06-22-2022, 08:28 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: The recording doesn’t illustrate anything overtly negative toward the coach. It does the parent, however. What a piece of work!

The coach simply replied to a parent’s comment that he was going to transfer his eighth grade son and the coach responded if that’s what he is intending then it’s easy and legal because the KHSAA rules (at the time of the call) doesn’t apply to transfers of eighth graders.And he was correct.  It was simple paper work. And he directing him how to do that. He didn’t do anything more than 99% of coaches would have done if they had received the same phone call from an overzealous parent commenting  that he was not happy and was transferring his son somewhere. Eighth grade students at the time of the call could transfer legally anywhere. .
I would like to hear some of the parent-coach calls in other areas of Kentucky, say Jefferson County,  where it’s my understanding that high school coaches from all over the county show up at middle school games to check out the county talent. If they received a call  that their talented middle schooler was transferring and was considering their school coaches will talk to that parent. Yes they will, every time.
Now, coaches wouldn’t probably say too much if the parent said “do you mind if I record this call?” But in a normal conversation most coaches are talkers and Mays is definitely in that category. On hindsight he should have politely referred the fellow to his principal or AD and then said goodbye and hung up but as I mentioned, most coaches will talk to a parent with a kid they’re thinking of transferring. If the kid is eighth grade then it’s a simple transfer.
Mays is not a recruiter that several of the posters on here are trying to paint him to be. Ashland boys have average 1 transfer per year since he’s been there. And if he was all hell bent on winning at all cost why would he encourage his star guard last year to skip his senior season and go on to his D-1 university that he had signed with to play college ball?? Mays is not a guy that picks up the phone or meets people somewhere to convince them to come to Ashland. He just isn’t like that. The situation here under discussion is a parent of an eighth grader who wanted to move his kid to another school and Mays responded by bragging on his school and administration and implying the young man would be welcomed if that’s the dad’s intention. He should have ended the call early with a referral to other higher-ups but he didn’t. But he didn’t do anything illegal or wrong and definitely nothing that would lead to his dismissal as coach. That’s ludicrous. I heard that the Ashland administration is suspending him a few games for the fact that he let the conversation go on too long and that’s their prerogative but I would not have even gone that far. A simple reprimand would have sufficed.
Bottom line, the fact shows that no more players transfer into Ashland’s boys program than most other schools in the state. I don’t think 5 players in 5 years is over the top. And Mays definitely does not recruit. Ashland’s program and school does attract students in sports and academics, though. They have tradition and it’s a good school.
Most “recruiting” allegations are baseless. Parents and players change schools quite a lot all over the nation and in nearly all the cases it is their own decision in doing so.
It’s time to move forward and get on with the rest of the summer and prepare for next season!

You're a fool if you think this isn't a bad deal by the coach.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA - by jamesclay - 06-22-2022, 11:57 AM