Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 67 Betsy Layne 55 (15th Region All “A” Championship)
(01-18-2022, 02:19 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 11:15 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 10:54 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 10:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I am old enough to remember all those old awesome Betsy Layne teams. BL has always had a ton of great athletes in the halls. If they can somehow get all their athletes out for basketball and not have them "focus" on baseball or football where BL will never go anywhere..........Betsy Layne will be a basketball powerhouse year in year out.

A lot of folks forget Betsy Layne won an All A State Championship in 2011. Betsy Layne just has never been able to make a run in the region.
It’s a great accomplishment and one BL should be very proud of.  Seems like tho a lot of BL fans I talk to always bring this up.  It’s been what 10-11 years ago.  Most of these kids now weren’t even in middle school.  It’s all about what have you done for me lately. One district title since then maybe?   Coach Newsome is a good coach. If I had one criticism it seems like he has ran off some of the depth BL would have had this year and in year 2 is relying on 5 guys instead of taking the off season and early parts of the season to develop his bench(Winning is nice but developing players and taking early losses is ok)  BL has a team to compete for the Region but with no bench that could come back to bite them in the end.  If we also look at the hold back rule.  Yes Pikeville benefited with Worrix but they go 8-9 deep.  They would more than likely been just fine without him.  BL got 2 of those 5 guys back because of it. Just imagine if they didn’t and no one was developed in the off season to help.

I only mentioned it because he mentioned the glory days of Betsy Layne basketball. But I agree with you, we haven’t done crap since the year JR hung it up and we’ve had talent
With that team those players were developed from a very young age and it wasn’t just a few players. That seems to be the problem lately at BL. Only a select few players get the attention and the other are just Jersey wearers.  More players need develop/experience.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Pikeville 67 Betsy Layne 55 (15th Region All “A” Championship) - by Grinch1 - 01-18-2022, 08:26 AM