Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3A State Championship: Belfry vs. Paducah Tilghman
(12-02-2021, 11:57 AM)FCSPY Wrote: Gotcha, I am not sure they would be better late in the year, but early they handled Belfry easily. Not sure they would be a shoe in for 3a champs the last few.. .but being that is down this year and last in my opinion, they would have.. good luck to both teams in this contest! I am rooting for Belfry.
Belfry has improved dramatically and found their bread and butter and how to properly balance the use of Dixon while young backs have grown in their roles... Belfry also lost three fumbles that game and have been much better at protecting the football. Still yet, Central completely outclassed them.

With that said, even if Belfry replayed their schedule I am not sure any of the Win vs. Loss outcomes change all that much at this point. I think the Pulaski, Central, CovCath, and Pikeville games get considerably closer. Pulaski was the oddest bird of the group because Belfry fumbled everything, had Dixon at QB as essentially the only weapon and he only played for a Half due to cramps, and on top of that Belfry got slaughtered on defense with the short field working against them. 

The old saying is you are what your record says you are. Though neither team is currently playing like a six-loss team, they are still two teams who lost five games on the field and one game to COVID (against teams who most likely would have beat them anyway).

I am pretty confident that when people look back on the 2021 season it won't be to remember how PT or Belfry were these iconic buzzsaw of teams who emerged from a stacked class. Instead it will be more about two teams who proved that once you get to November you can throw records out the window and it is all about who is peaking at the right time.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 3A State Championship: Belfry vs. Paducah Tilghman - by EKUAlum05 - 12-02-2021, 12:14 PM