Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Manchin to vote against bill federalizing elections, dealing major blow to Democrats
(06-06-2021, 08:12 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Senator Joe Manchin has announced that he will vote against the Democrats' bill to federalize elections. That's great, but he failed to cite the most important reason for opposing the bill. The U.S. Constitution granted state legislature the power to regulate elections, including federal elections. Grabbing that power from the states would require a Constitutional amendment. Every Senator and Representative who votes for this bill will be violating their oath of office. This is not a grey area - the Constitution is crystal clear on this issue. This is just another example of Democrats blatantly attempting to pass unconstitutional legislation for political purposes. There are way too many lawyers in Congress for Democrats not to realize that they are attempting to send an unconstitutional bill for Biden's signature.

Democrats should be thankful that Senator Manchin intends to block passage of this bill. If passed, the law would be smacked down in federal court, but that may not happen in time to avoid wrecking another election.

Quote:Manchin to vote against bill federalizing elections, dealing major blow to Democrats

Manchin revealed position in newspaper OpEd, citing partisan nature of bill.

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V., declared Sunday he will oppose his party’s legislation to federalize how elections are conducted, dealing a severe blow to Democratic passage in the evenly divided Senate.

The For The People Act would among other things ban voter ID requirements, mandate mail-in voting options and begin registering voters at age 16. It has faced uniform Republican opposition.

In an op-ed published in the Charleston Gazette-Mail, Manchin declared the bill as too partisan and divisive 

He also revealed he would not support eliminating the filibuster that requires 60 votes to consider most pieces of legislation in the Senate. On that point, he is joining a second Democrat, Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona.

“I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening blinds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For The People Act," Manchin wrote.

He added he would fight to “seek bipartisan compromise no matter how difficult and to develop the political bonds that end divisions and help unite the country we love.”
Quooter Joe represents a state that the Dear Leader carried by 40%. What else would you expect ?
Now as far as partisan bills not going to happen Mitch will slow walk everything wait till last minute and say I can't support it.
Time to do away with filibuster only way to get things done. They have already done it with the judges I blame that on Harry might as well let the majority rule.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Manchin to vote against bill federalizing elections, dealing major blow to Democrats - by vector#1 - 06-07-2021, 10:31 AM