Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021-13th Region District Predictions
(03-15-2021, 10:38 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote: If Pietrowski had taken the coaching job Clay would have at least 1 regional title and would have been competitive every year to win region.  Marcum didn't win the region every year he was coach but going into the tournament everyone knew Clay had a shot and most years made it to the finals.  With a good "in game" coach like Pietrowski Clay would defiantly be a factor just like Corbin is every year with less talent than most teams in the region.

Good points.  Pietrowski's strengths, I think, are "in game" adjustments. I think to be really successful , a coach needs to be able to assess what's happening out on the floor and make the necessary changes to turn the minuses into pluses. He learned it from playing for Hicks, who also was a really good in-game coach. I've seen P take Corbin teams that had no business being on the same floor as their opponent and either win or stay very competitive.  The top-ranked John Hardin team from a couple years ago was easily 15 -18 points better than Corbin , yet P put his kids in a position to win the game. They had the last possession with a chance to win. Same thing this year. North, at home , should win handily over Corbin. Yet, with three or so minutes left, Corbin was right there with a chance to win.

I'm curious to see what happens tonight. I look for Pietrowski to try to speed up the tempo against South Laurel. That's easier said than done because the Cards like the slower pace , running good offensive sets and sticking it to you on defense. Davis wants the game in the 50's , Pietrowski wants it in the 70's. Look for Tony to play with four guards a lot of the time and try to force South into an up and down game.

Back to Clay, don't give up on that program.  Clay has the richest tradition in the 13th , especially in the 70's, 80's, and '90' s . No one will top what Keith did . He is the John Wooden of eastern Kentucky. I have the utmost respect for Clay County basketball and I know most fans here in Corbin do.  Coach Keith forced everyone else to get better or get lost.  The region is stronger today because of Keith and Clay County. I loved what I saw from Clay against a really good Boyle team and I loved the effort the kids showed in being competitive against a really good Cov. Cath team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't be surprised to see Clay give North all they want and more in the 49th district final. Clay won't be an easy game for anyone in the post-season. Don't color me shocked if they are in the title game. They may not be among the favorites but I wouldn't be shocked if they reach the finals. They are more than capable.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021-13th Region District Predictions - by Old School Hound - 03-15-2021, 12:51 PM