Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SHOULD Trump be (1)Tried and (2) Convicted in the Senate ???
The other thread considered the question of WOULD Trump be convicted?  I think, with the 55-45 vote on Rand Paul's constitutionality question , that it is probably unlikely, even after the evidence is heard, that there will be enough votes to convict. I still say, however, that if McConnell wants to forever purge Trump from the party and make him unable to run for office again, he could bring sufficient votes along with him to make it happen. I'm sure he is weighing the political consequences(as most all members of Congress do) of his potential actions. I just doubt if there are enough balls in the halls of Congress to vote for  conviction.

So this thread does not take up the question of whether Trump will be convicted but SHOULD he be tried and, if so, SHOULD he be convicted of his actions up to the Capitol insurrection.

What do you think?   Should he go on trial?   If you think the answer is "yes" to that, do you think he should be convicted?

I recently read a letter prepared and signed by 150 constitutional scholars, both progressive and conservative, that carefully considered the constitutionality question and concluded that it was constitutionally legal to try an ex-President.  I am not a constitutional scholar so will defer to them on that question and answer "Yes."

I am looking forward to hearing all of the evidence that will be presented, but I feel like at this point that Trump invited the mob to meet him at the Capitol("I'll be there with you") to fight like hell and create chaos. Insiders in  the WH have said that Trump was watching the insurrection on TV and was very pleased with what he was seeing. He knew these people were riled up, he knew they were capable of executing violence at the Capitol, and he was enjoying it as it was being carried out.  In my opinion, he bares some responsibility for the terrorist acts at the Capitol and his words and actions were not those of a President discharging his duties of protecting the Constitution and protecting American democracy.  

I want to hear all the evidence but at this point I say "Yes,"  he should be tried ,  and "Yes" he should be convicted and barred from ever holding any other political office.

I respectfully await your analysis. Thanks in advance.
Messages In This Thread
SHOULD Trump be (1)Tried and (2) Convicted in the Senate ??? - by Old School Hound - 01-31-2021, 03:13 PM