Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Semi-Finals: Beechwood @ Mayfield
In all, we have had 3 really close games between these two teams over the series. The very first meeting in 1995 was billed as a great game and it lived up to the billing. You had the Beechwood Tigers, who for many years had been the kings of 1a and were in the middle of a state championship run of I think 3 games in a row. Then you had a traditional power from 2a in Mayfield, that had just come to 1a the year prior. Mayfield already had 5 state titles of their own. This was a back and forth game until the end. I recall how the Tigers after getting down to Mayfield 28-21, late in the 4th, went straight down the field and scored. There was less than 1 minute left on the clock. Beechwood decided to go for 2. I remember looking at the score board and thinking Mayfield has less than 1 minute and 2 timeouts to get back to fg range if they score. Beechwood decided to go through the air, the pass was high, the wr jumped and had a play on the ball, just as our db hit him. The ball slipped through his hands. After recovering the on side kick, Mayfield went into victory formation and won state title #6 by a score of 28-27.
Messages In This Thread
Class 2A State Semi-Finals: Beechwood @ Mayfield - by mysonis55 - 11-27-2019, 01:06 AM