Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traffic/Parking fines - Set amount or Percentage of income?
$50 dollars is $50 dollars (duh).
To some people, $50 bucks isn't that much money.
To some people, $50 bucks is a lot of money.

Here's my question..... should Traffic & Parking fines be a set amount for everybody or set based on a percentage of your income?

A $50 dollar parking ticket for somebody that makes upwards of $75,000+, $50 dollars is nothing. Yeah, it may suck to deal with it, but the actual fine doesn't really mean hurt and offers no deterrent.
A $50 dollar parking ticket for somebody that makes minimum wage is big hit to their monthly net income.

Let's say tickets range from 7%-13% of your monthly income, depending on the type of infraction. Have the person provide W-2's from their employer and base the fine on their combined net income. I know people make money from different sources other than their job that they probably wouldn't disclose unless subpoenaed to. Government assistance recipients would have to have some type of percentage as well, instead of having them pay a fine, have the amount removed from a future payment. I know there is loophole after loophole dealing with the issue, but I think the principle idea of making a fine actually mean something to people on every income level is something that is long overdue.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Messages In This Thread
Traffic/Parking fines - Set amount or Percentage of income? - by Pulp Fiction - 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM