Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopefully this will end the crying about how many classes.
mysonis55 Wrote:Every year we hear the same complaint and a thousand different scenarios for the fix. I personally have grown so tired of it that I can't stand it. Well, I say it's for the kids and they are having fun so, enjoy it or give it up.

I think this may help you to understand that our system isn't as bad as some think. Most would agree Texas has the best high school football around. I have recently started watching their state championship games on line. Do you realize they have 10 state champions crowned each year? I was watching and the commentators in one game said that year was the first time they had all ten at Texas Stadium. They said it was because it was the first time that 3a division 1 had 64 teams. Before that game was going a week early. Oh, by the way, their state champs will play either 15 or 16 games in a year.

Now, I hope that helps somewhat to make you all feel better.

For decades, Texas state title games, as with all playoff games, were determined by the two participants. Usually somewhere in the middle. Considering El Paso to Orange is almost 900 miles, it wasn't unreasonable.

Then, the started pitting the two largest games in one venue (a lot of times title games would be paired up because schools wanted their games in the bigger venues), but first it was San Antonio's Alamodome (I saw those two games), and then Houston.

Then, Cowboys Stadium (Texas Stadium hasn't been used in years, and Cowboys Stadium is now AT&T Stadium) made the push to move all the games there.

First, 3A-4A-5A was moved (6 games). 3AD1 is the smallest classification, so has generally always played their title game a week earlier. Same time as 1A-6 Man. 1A-11 Man and 2A were played at Mansfield. 1A-6 Man was played at Abilene's Shotwell Stadium.

Then, the next year, they moved 1A-11 Man, and 2A to Cowboys Stadium. So, ten of the 12 title games (UIL only, not counting TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF, or TAIAO private associations) were at Cowboys Stadium. 3AD1 one week, and the other 9 the next.

Then, they moved 1A-6 Man to Cowboys Stadium and, even though it's a small classification, moved 3AD1 to the same week as the other 11-man games by adding another week to the playoffs. 4 games on Thursday, 3 on Friday, and 3 on Saturday.

This past year, they moved the games to Houston's NRG Stadium because of an NFL scheduling conflict but it appears they'll move back next year to AT&T Stadium. Also, next year, the 6-Man games are going to be played on Wednesday, Dec. 14 the day before the 11-man games start at the same venue. While the 11-man were at NRG this past year, the 6-man games reverted back to Abilene as most 6-man schools are in West Texas far away from Houston.

As for being upset there's 10 11-man titles in UIL being 'too many'. Texas is the the equivalent of a state spanning Bowling Green, KY to just east of New York City. And only 10 11-man public school title games.

UIL has 1254 (by my count) football playing schools that compete for 12 championships. Or, one championship for every 104 schools. Not exactly the same situation as Kentucky.
Messages In This Thread
Hopefully this will end the crying about how many classes. - by Sykotyk - 05-20-2016, 09:34 PM