Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner
baseball1974 Wrote:95% of all arm injuries associated with baseball are a direct result of improper weight lifting. That is why bands and tubing have become so popular now. There was a game back in the mid-70's where Nolan Ryan went 13 innings throwing 235 pitches. His opponent, Louis Tiant, ended up throwing 15 innings. So you have two guys throwing over 400 pitches in the same game. Nolan Ryan gave a recent interview where he said in his entire career he never lifted a single weight. Baseball went wrong in the mid-80's when they decided baseball players needed to look like football players and the result has been injury after injury. Throwing a baseball is an unnatural movement for the body to make. When you increase heavy weight on top of that you are playing roulette with your throwing arm. That is why resistance is the only viable option when strengthening your arm.

I'm not disagreeing with your analysis. But help me out here. What do you do with two-sport athletes who play baseball. For example, does a baseball player who plays football not lift weights? I guess what I'm asking or saying is that the "improper" weight training for baseball may be accurate, but in high school you are not going to get that at schools that need their athletes to play multiple sports.

Personally, I think it's just been freak injuries. It's happening nation wide. Back in the day, when we all played, it was diagnosed as a "sore arm" and we either learned to throw with the pain or took some weeks off and then pitched with pain.
Messages In This Thread
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner - by LCHSbulldogsalum - 05-31-2015, 05:40 AM
Lawrence County Bulldog's Coach Feltner - by kdrn - 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM